News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Change Google called id

Started by Someonee, April 18, 2016, 10:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Someonee

I want Google is to show another number rather than generic Google number

drgeoff

Get yourself a full GV account instead of a 'lite' one.

Someonee

I don't have a clue what your talking about. It's a dialer that decides the caller is not Google.

drgeoff

Quote from: Someonee on April 18, 2016, 11:07:10 AM
I don't have a clue what your talking about. It's a dialer that decides the caller is not Google.
Pot. Kettle. Black.  :)

Why don't you start again and describe your issue more fully?

Someonee

A sip dialer can select the caller id to the client on dialing out. Csipsimple allows the option. As well as Google hangouts will ask what caller id you want.

Obi202 must be behind on the times.

Its the software or hardware job to select what caller id should be .

SteveInWA

OK, this discussion has turned into a spitball-shooting contest.

When you set up Google Voice on an OBi, you are giving your OBi device permission to access the Chat service on your account.

OBi devices use the Google Chat service on your Google account to make calls over VoIP.  Google Chat is not SIP.

If your Google account has a Google Voice incoming telephone number assigned to it, then Chat will use that number's caller ID for outbound calls.  If the Google account does not have a Google Voice inbound number assigned to it, then it has no number to display, and thus, the called party will see "unknown caller" instead of a 11-digit CID.

That's what drgeoff meant.  If your callers aren't seeing a caller ID, then either a) you don't have a Google Voice telephone number to send, or b) you do, but you set up your OBi while signed into the wrong Google account -- one other than that account that holds the number.

Someonee

Well I don't have a number and I still think the client plays a part. Not a 3rd party such as Google. Every client will ask you what caller id do you want displaying. In other words what number do you want others to see.

I was asking if obi would support this in the future.

SteveInWA

No, they won't.

Congratulations, you win the idiot of the month award.

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 18, 2016, 04:32:56 PM
No, they won't.

Congratulations, you win the idiot of the month award.

Steve...why do you get to give out these awards? I thought the guy that couldn't uncheck the incoming ringing line box to test its function but waited for your answer a day later should have won that.

SteveInWA

Well, there's "I'm not very technically-knowledgeable, but I am willing to admit it and ask for help", and there's this...

Someonee

In the words of Ricky if you don't like it just pretend its not true. And its not because I believe it.

Lavarock7

I would say this "Google does not pass along any caller ID sent with a call".

I meant to say that Google does not pass along any caller-ID sent to it.

As mentioned, Google either uses a generic number (or perhaps anonymous) OR it uses the telephone number associated with the Google account.

If you want to send a caller-ID use a Voip provider that supports it. Don't know which ones do? Ask any telemarketer...
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

drgeoff

Quote from: Someonee on April 18, 2016, 04:31:34 PM
Well I don't have a number and I still think the client plays a part. Not a 3rd party such as Google. Every client will ask you what caller id do you want displaying. In other words what number do you want others to see.

I was asking if obi would support this in the future.
Obi DOES support Caller ID spoofing in the circumstances where it is appropriate.  This extract is from the Admin Guide:

ITSP SIP Settings Parameter Guide:
X_SpoofCallerID
Allow outbound Caller ID spoofing. If set to Yes, device will attempt to set the caller-id name and userid field in the FROM header to that of a remote caller in the case of a bridged call (from another trunk, such as PSTN Line or another SP Service).
Otherwise, device always its own account information to form the FROM header.

Note that most service provider will not allow originating a call if the FROM header field does not match the account credentials. Enable this option only if you are sure that the service provider allows it, e.g. an IP PBX may allow it.

Also, some SPs will let you set your outgoing Caller ID to a number that they can verify you own.  For example I have an account with Localphone which I only use for outgoing calls.  It has no POTS number.  However outgoing calls on it display the number of my POTS line.