News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Got Callcentric E911, added it to Obi110 as SP2, how to ensure 911 goes to sp2?

Started by mark2741, July 02, 2011, 09:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark2741

I *think* it may be setup already but not sure...

I bought an Obi110 and it is setup to work with my GV account on SP1. I then registered with Callcentric as a "Pay as you Go" plan with the E911 service.

I then logged into my Obi portal and added the Callcentric info as SP2. It now shows as:

Configure Voice Services

Service Provider 1   Google Voice™ Account   Connected      X 
Service Provider 2   Callcentric E911 Service   Registered (server=204.11.192.36:5060; expire in 29s)

So is that it? What else do I need to do so that, when I dial 911 on my phone, it will automatically go to the Callcentric service and not GV?

RonR

By default, 911 calls go out the LINE Port (PSTN).  To have 911 calls go out SP2 instead, make the following change:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port ->  OutboundCallRoute:

Original:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Changed:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{911:sp2},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

If you make this change to the OBi locally, also change:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Provisioning -> Method : Disabled.

mark2741

Thanks RonR!

I made the changes to the PHONE entry but am not sure what you mean by "if you made the changes locally"?

To make the PHONE outbound entry change I logged into the ObiTalk portal, from the dashboard clicked on my Obi device, then Obi Expert Configuration button. Then on the left-hand menu I chose 'PHONE' and made the change.

I looked and do not see a 'System Management' menu option anywhere.

Thanks for helping me!

RonR

System Management is not available from the OBiTALK Web Portal.

Making changes locally is logging into your OBi directly at the IP address returned by dialing ***1 and not using the OBiTALK Web Portal.

mark2741

Thanks. One more (hopefully) dumb question - I tried logging in 'locally' via the IP address returned, but I don't have the id/pw. I looked in the Obi Admin guide on their site and it says the default is admin/admin for administrators and user/user for users. I tried both combinations and neither work. I also of course tried the one I setup on the Obi site but that's a no-go too. What is the default pw for the Obi device?

mark2741

Also - since I didn't make the original PHONE outboundCall change locally, but did via the Obi website, do I still need to do the 'System Settings...' change, or is that done automatically by the Obi portal?

Thanks again!

RonR

The default username/password for the OBi is admin/admin unless it was changed on the OBiTALK Web Portal.

If you stick with using the OBiTALK Web Portal, you must leave Auto Provisioning enabled.  If you ever configure the OBi locally, you must disable Auto Provisioning.

mark2741

Thanks. I finally was able to login to the Obi device locally. I checked and the Auto Provisioning is set to 'Periodically'. Based on your prior responses, since I already set the 911 to SP2 via the ObiTalk web portal and not directly on the device 'locally', then I should not change this setting locally, correct?

So now all that is left is to see if my local emergency 911 center will allow me to test the service it seems....

RonR

Quote from: mark2741 on July 02, 2011, 10:55:36 AM
Based on your prior responses, since I already set the 911 to SP2 via the ObiTalk web portal and not directly on the device 'locally', then I should not change this setting locally, correct?

If you prefer making ALL changes via the OBiTALK Web Portal, that's correct.  You may not change ANY setting locally or it will be overwritten by the OBiTALK Web Portal.

mark2741

Perfect, and good to know! I should be good to go then, as I am hoping to not have to make any changes ever via the local portal. I'm glad you told me though, otherwise down the road I may have gone in there and messed around with it just for kicks, not knowing that I'd lose my 911 service (which is the main reason I got this setup in the first place, as I have young kids at home and wanted something in case of emergency that they could use if necessary).

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your quick help! It is greatly appreciated!

kwando

I remember reading a post where someone was testing 911, but the emergency services side got the call centric # instead of his GV as a callback.  Is there a way to configure this so 911 services shows the GV number for call back?

kwando

Also in this post/guide (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.msg1766) it shows

{911:spX},{<#:>:li},{**0:aa} before the "{<#:>:li}" where you have it after.  Does that matter?

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: kwando on July 06, 2011, 06:38:35 AM
Also in this post/guide (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.msg1766) it shows

{911:spX},{<#:>:li},{**0:aa} before the "{<#:>:li}" where you have it after.  Does that matter?
No, because there's no overlap between those two rules.  Some people prefer to put the 911 rule first on the theory that you want that one processed as quickly as possible, but honestly you'd never notice the difference.

As for your other question, unless CallCentric allows you to set a different Caller ID than the one associated with your account (which they might — you'd have to ask them), then the answer is no, you can't send a different Caller ID.  But if 911 or anyone else called your CallCentric number, it should come to your OBi device anyway, unless you have outgoing-only service or you have forwarded your calls or something (you could make a test call to that number to be sure).
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

kwando

Ok, thanks for the prompt reply.  You are right, it's too early for my mind to think right. 

cvongugg

Question, how do I get to the physical interfaces/phoneport/outboundcallroute menu?  I'm new to OBI, like it, good quality.  Thanks

-----------------

By default, 911 calls go out the LINE Port (PSTN).  To have 911 calls go out SP2 instead, make the following change:

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: cvongugg on July 10, 2011, 07:59:58 AM
Question, how do I get to the physical interfaces/phoneport/outboundcallroute menu?  I'm new to OBI, like it, good quality.  Thanks

If you are new to the Obi then I will assume you are allowing the OBiTALK portal to configure your device.  Go to http://www.obitalk.com/ (log in if necessary) and you should be at the OBi Dashboard.  Under "My OBi Endpoints" you should see your device listed, and at the end of the line it's listed on you will see a gear icon (under the "Action" column).  Click on that and it will take you to the Device Configuration page for your device.  Near the bottom you will see a button that says "OBi Expert Configuration" - click that and on the next screen, click the "Enter OBi Expert" button.

Now in the left hand column you should see all the various setting pages.   You will see "Physical Interfaces" and under that, "Phone" (not phoneport).  Click on Phone, and a new page will come up.  The third setting from the top is "OutboundCallRoute" and that's what you want to change.  Before you can change it, you'll need to uncheck both of the checkboxes to the right of the setting.  Then you'll be able to make your desired change.  When finished, click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page.  Within several seconds, your changed setting should be sent to your OBi device.

Hope this helps.  Of course all of the above assumes you have created an account at http://www.obitalk.com/ and then registered your device.  If you haven't done that, you should do that first.  Note that when you first create an account, it will show a line with an OBiTALK number before you add any devices - that is for a softphone.  You must specifically add your device by clicking the "Add Devices" link in the left hand column and following the instructions to add your device.  After you do that, it will appear in the OBi Dashboard, and then you can follow the above instructions.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

RonR

Question, how do I get to the physical interfaces/phoneport/outboundcallroute menu?  I'm new to OBI, like it, good quality.  Thanks

-----------------

Using a web browser, go the IP address reported by dialing ***1.  Log in using admin/admin.

There you should see a menu tree on the left side of the page.

If you're making changes inside the OBi, you must disable Auto Provisioning at:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: RonR on July 10, 2011, 09:47:43 AM

-----------------

Using a web browser, go the IP address reported by dialing ***1.  Log in using admin/admin.

There you should see a menu tree on the left side of the page.

If you're making changes inside the OBi, you must disable Auto Provisioning at:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

RonR, why do you always try to steer people away from using the OBiTALK portal?  Yes, you can disable auto-provisioning, but then if Obihai tweaks the default configuration (any setting you haven't changed using Expert Configuration mode) to improve service or correct a bad default setting, you won't receive that change.  And you can't even add or change Service Providers from the OBiTALK portal anymore.  I can understand how if you're a real control freak and/or you don't trust anyone, you might object to using the OBiTALK portal, but for a new user that doesn't want the burden of maintaining every single setting on his device, leaving Auto Provisioning on and using the OBiTALK portal to make changes is the way to go.  I use it on both of my devices and have never had a problem with it, since they enabled the Expert Configuration Mode that lets me change any individual setting without affecting auto-provisioning of the other settings.

You can do what you want with your device, but I think you do a grave disservice to new users by steering them away from the OBiTALK portal.

jimates

I just wish RonR would recognize it to the users as one of the options, not the only way to do it.

RonR,
You don't have to tell then about the Obitalk portal, but if you mention that your preferred way is 'one option" then the user may decide if they want to ask what the other options are.

The main thing to me is that the average user will not know that they can't manage their device remotely if they configure from the web interface. Some people do have problems weeks after initial setup, and if they are not at home there is no way to fix the problem.