November 20, 2018, 04:00:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrong IP address when posting??  (Read 1895 times)
Taoman

« on: May 01, 2016, 03:45:58 pm »

Anyone else noticing this? When posting, my ip address shows up in the bottom right-hand portion of the post. Normally it correctly reflects my public ip address. I just noticed that it is now being listed as "10.0.0.15." Say what? I went to whatsmyip.org and indeed my public ip address is the same as it's always been. My local network is a 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

Anyone else experiencing this? As I write this the Obitalk servers aren't working properly. You can't make an edit thru the OBitalk web portal and have the change stick. Could this be related? I also seem to remember the OBitalk forum was unavailable for an extended period of time in the last few days.
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 04:47:41 pm »

Yah, my post says that, too.  Something's probably FUBAR with whatever mechanism their <considerably downlevel>  forum software uses to look up the IP address.  10.0.0.x addresses are private networks, so what it's reporting is just bogus.

--Steve

Google Voice Forum Product Expert

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/voice
RFC3261

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:02:00 pm »

Yah, my post says that, too.  Something's probably FUBAR with whatever mechanism their <considerably downlevel>  forum software uses to look up the IP address.  10.0.0.x addresses are private networks, so what it's reporting is just bogus.
I would not be surprised they are using a reverse proxy or DDoS protection/mitigation service, and are not forwarding the "true" IP address, or have not configured the forum to use the "X-Forwarded-For" header.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: