News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Wrong IP address when posting??

Started by Taoman, May 01, 2016, 03:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

Anyone else noticing this? When posting, my ip address shows up in the bottom right-hand portion of the post. Normally it correctly reflects my public ip address. I just noticed that it is now being listed as "10.0.0.15." Say what? I went to whatsmyip.org and indeed my public ip address is the same as it's always been. My local network is a 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

Anyone else experiencing this? As I write this the Obitalk servers aren't working properly. You can't make an edit thru the OBitalk web portal and have the change stick. Could this be related? I also seem to remember the OBitalk forum was unavailable for an extended period of time in the last few days.

SteveInWA

Yah, my post says that, too.  Something's probably FUBAR with whatever mechanism their <considerably downlevel>  forum software uses to look up the IP address.  10.0.0.x addresses are private networks, so what it's reporting is just bogus.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 01, 2016, 04:47:41 PM
Yah, my post says that, too.  Something's probably FUBAR with whatever mechanism their <considerably downlevel>  forum software uses to look up the IP address.  10.0.0.x addresses are private networks, so what it's reporting is just bogus.
I would not be surprised they are using a reverse proxy or DDoS protection/mitigation service, and are not forwarding the "true" IP address, or have not configured the forum to use the "X-Forwarded-For" header.