December 12, 2017, 09:31:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Obion alternatives for Android 6.0?  (Read 35828 times)
siskiou

« on: May 09, 2016, 04:02:26 pm »

Is there any way to make free calls to the Obi number, using a different app?

Obion doesn't work on Marshmallow, and I really need a way to make free calls to our phone when I'm traveling in Europe this summer.

Doesn't look like the developer is planning on updating the app ever.
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 04:38:32 pm »

There are several alternatives I can think of...

Which service provider(s) do you have configured on your OBi device now (not just OBiTALK, but Google Voice or some SIP VoIP service provider)?

If you use Google Voice, then install Google Hangouts and the companion Hangouts Dialer apps from the Google Play Store, on your Android device(s).  Then, call your OBi's Google Voice number for free (well, for the cost of WiFi service).

If you use a SIP ITSP, then install a SIP VoIP client on your Android devices(s), configure it with your SIP credentials, and call to your heart's content.  Three free SIP clients for Android:  Counterpath X-Lite, CSIPSimple, or Zoiper.

Test it thoroughly before you leave town.

siskiou

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 08:12:24 pm »

We have an Obi100 with Vestalink on one line, and Circlenet for calls to Germany on the other.
SteveInWA

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:32:58 pm »

Well then, download one of the SIP VoIP clients I mentioned above, and configure it to use one of your two SIP accounts.  You can then call the other SIP phone number on your OBi.  X-Lite is probably the easiest client to understand and configure, but you can pick your favorite.

siskiou

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 08:19:36 am »

Thanks for your help!

Circlenet is only for outgoing calls to Germany, and not free.

drgeoff

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:30:02 am »

You might be able to find a SIP provider who will provide accounts with no monthly charges and free calls between those accounts. And some SIP accounts allow multiple devices to SIP register and make calls between those devices.

You have not said which OBi device you have. If you don't have an empty slot for a third account it may be possible to put the outgoing calls only Circlenet one on a VoiceGateway and vacate the slot it currently occupies.
Googleuser

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 02:13:56 pm »

Has somebody actually been successfully calling to the OBI device? I have tried SIP service but they cannot get through. I can call from my Google account but using a client the uses XMPP such as Pidgin... unfortunately I have not been able to do this with my Nexus 6P.
Googleuser

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 05:00:42 pm »

This is what I found so far:

1. You can configure you Google account in your Obi and receive calls as long as the other side uses a desktop application that uses xmpp, e.g. Pidgin, which by the way, works very nicely.

and now the weird things:

2. I installed linphone in my Nexus 6p. I created a sip account for the obi and one for the mobile so I can make a call between them. If I configure the sip account in the mobile app it won't work. If I do not configure any account I can still call, and the id in my phone says Linphone android. The weird thing is that, although I answer the call, my Nexus 6p keep on ringing and through the Obi there is only silence. So, no luck then.

3. I installed also another client called Csipsimple. I configure my linphone account and try to call my Obi. After a minute!!! finally the call went through. I could talk and hear fine... but it only last 20 seconds!!!!! After that the call is dropped.

Sincerely I do not understand what is going on but it seems that no many people care calling their Obi using their cellphones.

In any case, if somebody can find something or a system that actually works please let me know.

SteveInWA

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 07:23:38 pm »

This is what I found so far:

1. You can configure you Google account in your Obi and receive calls as long as the other side uses a desktop application that uses xmpp, e.g. Pidgin, which by the way, works very nicely.

and now the weird things:

2. I installed linphone in my Nexus 6p. I created a sip account for the obi and one for the mobile so I can make a call between them. If I configure the sip account in the mobile app it won't work. If I do not configure any account I can still call, and the id in my phone says Linphone android. The weird thing is that, although I answer the call, my Nexus 6p keep on ringing and through the Obi there is only silence. So, no luck then.

3. I installed also another client called Csipsimple. I configure my linphone account and try to call my Obi. After a minute!!! finally the call went through. I could talk and hear fine... but it only last 20 seconds!!!!! After that the call is dropped.

Sincerely I do not understand what is going on but it seems that no many people care calling their Obi using their cellphones.

In any case, if somebody can find something or a system that actually works please let me know.

There's no need to do any of this.

Assuming you already have a Google Voice account with an inbound Google Voice number set up on your OBi device, then sign up for another Gmail account, and, using that account, call the OBi's Google Voice number, using Google Hangouts.

Hangouts works from laptop/desktop computers, using Google Chrome Browser at this site:  https://hangouts.google.com/

Or, install the Google Hangouts apps for Android or iOS on your smartphone.

The calls are free.

joe123

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 11:30:07 am »

dear all,

i had previously configured my obi110 to terminate my calls thru a landline in france.

obion android----obi110 ---pstn----outgoing call

now obion is not working on android,so i ve used the instruction to add my google voice number to the obi110 ,i was expecting to use hangout to terminate my calls to the pstn ,idea was to do:

hangout---obi110---pstn---outgoing call

after adding ths google voice number my previous config wich was working on obion is not working anymore and i can t call my obi110 as well thru hangout

anyone can help?

thanks in advance
vondes

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 12:41:58 am »

Can we use it together with https://mobile-phone-tracker.org mobile recorder on Android?
drgeoff

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 05:39:05 am »

Can we use it together with https://mobile-phone-tracker.org mobile recorder on Android?
Please stop spamming the forum with posts linking to a call recorder.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: