News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai 202 reserves upstream bandwidth even if phone not being used

Started by ralphldcm, May 21, 2016, 03:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphldcm

To prevent phonecon breakup at the remote end I had to setup my obi202 to reserve Internet bandwidth going upstream.  My problem is the the obi202 reserves this bandwidth even if the phone is not in use (seems stupid!!!).  This slows down my Internet (upload) by about 25%.  So I am wasting 25% of my very expensive Internet upload capability!!!  I verified this slowdown using Internet speed tests on my computer.

Is there a setting that would fix this problem???  Would Obihai consider a firmware update to fix this problem???  It should be a simple fix to just not reserve bandwidth, when  the phone isn't in use.  Is there a new Obi phone that I could buy that would fix the problem????

gsmlnx

So do you have your Obi202 and PC configured like this

PC -> cable -> Obi202 -> cable -> internet providers device

or this

PC ------ >  cable --> router port a
Obi202 ---> cable --> router port b

ralphldcm

Thank you very much for responding.  I really appreciate it.

In my test configuration I have:
PC -> cable -> Obi202 -> cable -> internet providers device (cable modem)

Normally I have a router in the mix, but I took it out to make the test simpler.

gsmlnx

The Obi202 router is very basic and as far as I'm aware, the Quality of Services settings are very basic.

Unfortunately you cannot have variable reserved bandwidth, as the Admin Guide says

QuoteNote that the total guaranteed bandwidth allocated to all the four priority classes is equal to the total available uplink bandwidth, which must be specified correctly in the UpStreamBandwidth parameter in the QoS settings for QoS to work properly.

So if it is just the PC and Obi, then it's 75% PC and 25% Obi setup and that's all she wrote. I'm assuming that you have put both devices into different classes. If you didn't and put both in the same class then it wouldn't be QOS as the PC could ride roughshod over the Obi.

ralphldcm

gsminx
Thanks for the reply!! On p74 of the Admin Guide is the following statement regarding the priority of the voice packets. 
"The The native voice related traffic is always classified as Restricted. Other network packets are classified based on the Differentiated Service Code Point (DSCP) in their IP headers. The 64 possible DSCP codes (0 – 63) can be mapped into one of the four priority classes using the configurable DSCP to Priority Class Mapping table."

I have nothing else set to "Restricted" so I am assuming that the voice packets have the highest priority on uplink.

Finally, is there some way to contact obihai and tell them that it would really be nice to have bandwidth reserved for native voice packets only when the phone is being used.  To me, it really seems stupid to reserve my precious (and expensive) uplink bandwidth, when the phone isn't even being used.  It looks to me like it would be a rather simple firmware update.  I would like to see a bunch of users contact them and ask for this feature.

Thanks again.

gsmlnx

Well the Obi support contact page is http://www.obihai.com/supportTicketForm2.php but I wouldn't holdout much hope.

Yes the voice traffic is given priority by the Obi202 routing code.

The Obi202 isn't the fast device in the world, the Admin guide gives a LAN to WAN maximum speed of 30Mbps if there is no voice traffic. So not really up there with even a cheap router from say TP-Link.

Most people ignore the router part of the Obi202 and just add a router for their network, leaving the Obi to only handle its own traffic to and from said router.