News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100 Google Voice

Started by radleresq, May 17, 2016, 04:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radleresq

Hello
I've been using the same OBI100 and GV account for about 1.5 years.  Never any problems.  This morning I got the service connection error, and I have NOT changed my gv password.

I log into ObiTalk- which I haven't done since I set all this up 1.5 years ago. There is a soft phone listed (which doesn't seem to correspond to the number on the back of unit) Status is Offline  Speed Dial is 1.
The LED light is steady green.  Everything else is off.

I had to make a call- I'm in a very rural US area, so had to drive to someplace with cell coverage- come back home and everything is working again.  I did notice that the phone indicator was green.

And now it has stopped working. Same as above.  LED steady, nothing else is on.

The FAQ/Help section don't seem to correspond to anything.

I've done the echo test, the firmware update, tried to change the DNS but I haven't the slightest idea what username or password is used for the ip address, the username/password for obitalk isn't it.
I've unplugged, replugged etc. 

Help?

Thanks

WasAGuest

I am having the exact same issue. My Obi 110 all of a sudden decided to stop working with Google Voice today. What is going on?

radleresq

well, it is working again now- nothing I did on my end.  Can someone suggest an error?

R_Chandra

Doing an ObiTALK portal refresh of my Google credentials helped immediately for me.  The unfortunate thing is, after changing OBiTalk Provisioning from "disabled" to "on restart," restarting my OBi100 to get it to download my Google credentials to the device, then putting provisioning back to disabled, some of my stuff was screwed up, like my SP1 and FXS port digit maps, and my FXS port outbound routing.  Trying to restore a backup caused my OBi110 not to be able to auth again (I had hoped credentials weren't stored there, but I guess they are somehow).  So, going through (presumably) getting the token again, I could get running again.  It's just that I had to go into ObiTALK Expert and change the things for SP1 (name, digit map, maybe a few other things).  After seeing successful authentication to Google, I turned autoprovisioning off again, and could change other items just fine, I just really DON'T want to touch anything with SP1.

I wish we could eliminate the ObiTALK portal as one more thing that could break, but that may be dicey at best.  See, Google's auth system has keys tied to a developer (such as Obihai).  Google even warns you not to divulge your keys, or I think they'll suspend/deactivate them.  So the alternative could be for Obihai firmware to be able to accept individual's own secret and token, but that would involve the individual properly setting up a Google developer's account and project, and getting all the Googley fiddly details correct for that project.  I've done it for google-drive-ocaml-fuse, and it's not particularly straightforward, at least if you've never done it before (took me a few tries to get it right).  So there's going through Obihai, which they take care of all the details, or individuals going through a lot of trial and error, especially if they've never set up a Google project before.  For Obihai and their support, the unfortunate truth is it's likely a lot easier for them to set up their portal than it is to coach people through seting up their own developer credentials.

WasAGuest

I was able to get it working by deleting SP1 and then rerunning the wizard in the ObiTalk portal. I had to redo my outbound call string and now today it's not working again. WTF is happening Obi? It worked fine for years.

R_Chandra

I think but have no way to confirm that they're changing the way their units auth to Google.  I'm guessing (and ONLY guessing) they invalidated the key(s) that have been in use since the release of the Google-"mandated" OAuth2 firmware, and now their servers are doing something different.  Without digging too deeply, and again, this is a "shoot from the hip" thought, it will use the Obitalk service channel (enabling the Obitalk voice service) to refresh the needed auth token, no longer being able to refresh it without contacting Obihai's servers.

n0m4d

My issue cleared up on its own sometime over the past 24 hours.  Not sure what happened but it doesn't look like it was on my end. :-\