News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi/Google Voice disconnecting overnight

Started by since83, May 18, 2016, 04:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc.guate

I have 110 and have tried upgrading the firmware to 2886 but for some reason, this is not successful even after doing a hard reset.  It still shows the firmware as 2872.  I am trying to manual upgrade by logging into the device; the device is connected to my ISP's router; the computer is connected to the same router via wifi.  Am I doing something wrong?

SteveInWA

We have no way to know what you are doing wrong.  It should simply work, if you follow the instructions.

• Download and save the .fw file from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.

marc.guate

I was finally able to get the 110 to accept the update.  Rather than using the ISP router, I connected the 110 and the computer to a separate router.  Undoubtedly one of the ports that was required was being blocked by the ISP router.

Hopefully this might help someone else as well.  And sorry about posting the same question in two different threads.

valley_nomad

Instead of asking for $10 they should have pointed us to their official link for manual update:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Mango

They haven't even updated that yet; it still lists build 2872.

aopisa

Quote from: valley_nomad on May 26, 2016, 04:56:07 PM
Instead of asking for $10 they should have pointed us to their official link for manual update:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Really, what a terrible underhanded scumbag move and company. Just leave you hanging thinking that you have to cough up $10 to continue using a device that I thought I owned with no mention that you can upgrade manually and how to do it.

Had to go searching around and waste time out of my day to get help from the good people on this forum. Thank you for that.

Shame on Obi, I have recommended them to several people wanting to cut the cord from their phone or cable company. Never again!

joda

I manually updated my OBi110 from 2872 to 2886 from the local device (thanks for the instructions/link!).  I was able to register a GV account with the ObiTalk portal using the new version.  (SIP service on the second line never stopped or had an issue.)

I have a second OBi110 with 2824 that continues to chug along without issue on the same GV account.  This one did not need the update.

Regarding the future, the handling of this (unofficial?) upgrade/service fee does make me worry about ObiHai and the future of their SIP/GV devices.  I have purchased and manage a fleet of seven OBi (100, 110, 200, 202) ATAs.  I have recommended them to many people, and was looking to purchase a few more to help people understand the technology.  That said, I will keep recommending the devices, albeit with a strong caveat that free may only be for today.

The ones who are more nervous about 'free', I point to VoIP providers like CallCentric or voip.ms.

SteveInWA

Quote from: joda on May 29, 2016, 12:02:44 PM
I manually updated my OBi110 from 2872 to 2886 from the local device (thanks for the instructions/link!).  I was able to register a GV account with the ObiTalk portal using the new version.  (SIP service on the second line never stopped or had an issue.)

I have a second OBi110 with 2824 that continues to chug along without issue on the same GV account.  This one did not need the update.

Regarding the future, the handling of this (unofficial?) upgrade/service fee does make me worry about ObiHai and the future of their SIP/GV devices.  I have purchased and manage a fleet of seven OBi (100, 110, 200, 202) ATAs.  I have recommended them to many people, and was looking to purchase a few more to help people understand the technology.  That said, I will keep recommending the devices, albeit with a strong caveat that free may only be for today.

The ones who are more nervous about 'free', I point to VoIP providers like CallCentric or voip.ms.

You've made some good points.  Nobody should ever assume that they are entitled to free telephone service, nor that any service will remain the same forever.  Many people are blinded by the lure of "free!" in Obihai's marketing material, and don't bother to research that Google Voice is not a "free telephone company".

Obihai is a separate company from Google, and it is piggybacking on Google's goodwill in letting OBi users access its service.  Obihai has no leverage to force Google to continue to support its products indefinitely.  The Google Voice team has no objection to OBi users accessing the service, as long as they use Google's approved authentication method.  Google Voice isn't going away, but Google certainly has the right to modify its own service over time, to meet its own design and support goals, and OBi users are a very tiny fraction of the overall Google Voice and Hangouts user population.

synchron

I just switched routers and my Obi100 first had backed up auth errors so I manually updated the FW from 2834 to 2886.  Now this wiped out my SP1 (Service not configured) and clicking the Google Voice Setup button returns a 'Instances full" response.  I click the Gear icon in SP1 and this allows me to reauthenticate and then I get a 'Configuration has updated successfully." on top of the OBItalk screen but the SP1 just keeps saying 'Configuring' and eventually times out with nothing configured to my GV account which works fine through regular online GV callback.

I find this whole thing frustrating and don't understand why the upgrade did NOT fix things for me.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

Quote from: synchron on June 04, 2016, 12:33:25 PM
I just switched routers and my Obi100 first had backed up auth errors so I manually updated the FW from 2834 to 2886.  Now this wiped out my SP1 (Service not configured) and clicking the Google Voice Setup button returns a 'Instances full" response.  I click the Gear icon in SP1 and this allows me to reauthenticate and then I get a 'Configuration has updated successfully." on top of the OBItalk screen but the SP1 just keeps saying 'Configuring' and eventually times out with nothing configured to my GV account which works fine through regular online GV callback.

I find this whole thing frustrating and don't understand why the upgrade did NOT fix things for me.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear that.  The instructions below will sound like a PITA, but should only take about 10 minutes.

First, confirm that you did, indeed, update to the required firmware build.  Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key ***0 then 1# and the last four digits read back to you should be 2886.  If not, you need to update the firmware per this thread.

Then, delete the OBi off of your OBiTALK dashboard.  Then, on the attached phone, key ***8 then 1 to factory reset it.  Wait a few minutes for it to finish.  Then, add the OBi back to your dashboard, using the **5 procedure.

Now, carefully follow my instructions, here, to configure Google Voice on your OBi:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

synchron

Thanks SteveInWA.

Good news:  That fixed it. (in 5 minutes)

Bad news:  It wiped out my SP2  which is another GV number going through sipsorcery.  Took me 30 minutes to refill everything out and correctly register.  Unfortunately that account hasn't been used in a while and I'm going through google auth errors with that too.  GV callback works though,

IMO, the fact that updating the firmware caused this glitch is unacceptable on Obi's part.  Things are not free as I spent most of the afternoon on this and very little getting my other devices up and running with the new router.

Thanks again for not having me to pay the $10 to Obi.  I owe you a beer. 

misterp

Firmware 2886 fixed my problem.  Just some more information:

1) Firmware 2872 apparently doesn't even try and send the login information, even though it says it fails.

I returned and booted up after vacation and found the Obi not working.  Among the things I tried was creating a new app password for the Obi since I use 2-factor authentication, and it has never been used.  I entered the app password on 192.168.x.x Obi page, saved and rebooted.  I suppose it is possible that the save and reboot didn't take.

2) Not all 100/110s have this problem.  My tech-unsavvy friend has an Obi 100 and it is still connected(it is listed on my ObiTalk portal) with firmware 2872.  I have made calls on this 100 since May 18.  Obvious differences from my own situation:

a) It is a 100, mine is 110.
b) It uses a GV account with no phone number associated(only used outbound).

pvpham

Firmware updated fixed this problem. Thanks you guys of this thread. Shame on OBi. Why don't you just send me an email and ask for a contribution. I am just glad to give you $10 buck. I have an Obi100 LOL I don't remember when and it still works flawlessly unless somebody in Obi start messing with it.

Sceva

This morning I found my phone not working.  I power cycled all devices, then opened OBI portal and saw Google backing off.  I had trouble with this several years ago and ended up creating a new google voice account to resolve, so I was happy to find this thread. Installed the firmware and within a minute it was back online.

Thank you.

GeorgeObi

Same as the folks above.  2 hours ago, realized i can't make a call to my bank with my 110.   2 hours later, fixed with the help of manually flashing to 2886.  i am a little pissed off as i waisted so much time on this and i am also not sure of OBihai did this on purpose w/out first letting us know or it is some weird system issue w/ google auth.  what is also weird is that many had the issue start on May 18 but for some of us, only this morning. 

also, who created FW 2886 and why was not deployed normally and why do i need to side load it?

hapollo

My 2 Obi110 with Build 2824 are still working.

However, got the same error on my Obi200 running 3.0.1 (Build: 4350). All FW are pre-OAuth2.

Was working 4 hrs ago during my last call, then 1hr ago despite Obi reboots, Router Reboot, still getting Backing Off (3s):TCP connection to 125.208.194.173 failed

Suspect sometime today, OBi110 will start failing too. So, what's the latest Obi patched FW for the OBi200.

GeorgeObi

Quote from: hapollo on June 14, 2016, 11:52:30 AM
My 2 Obi110 with Build 2824 are still working.

However, got the same error on my Obi200 running 3.0.1 (Build: 4350). All FW are pre-OAuth2.

Was working 4 hrs ago during my last call, then 1hr ago despite Obi reboots, Router Reboot, still getting Backing Off (3s):TCP connection to 125.208.194.173 failed

Suspect sometime today, OBi110 will start failing too. So, what's the latest Obi patched FW for the OBi200.

Software version level: 3.1.0 (Build: 5264)
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-0-5264.fw

hapollo

Quote from: Mango on June 14, 2016, 11:54:41 AM
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.msg73801#msg73801

Quote from: GeorgeObi on June 14, 2016, 11:55:32 AM

Software version level: 3.1.0 (Build: 5264)
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-0-5264.fw

Thanks to both of you.

So, will this result in $10 ransomware from Obi or this is my only choice if I want to get my Obi200 working again having avoided post OAuth-2 for the longest time?

Mango

No, upgrading (manually) does not require paying $10.

Today is the first time people with pre-OAuth2 firmware have reported Google Voice problems.  So far you know as much as I do.

Personally, I'm not going to risk the upgrade - at least not on my primary ATA.