News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi/Google Voice disconnecting overnight

Started by since83, May 18, 2016, 04:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenor

I too lost my GV service on my 110 about a week ago. Standard "Backing Off (XXXs): Authentication Error." message.  I had not changed my Google password, but this seems to happen from time to time.  (Google or ObiHai on another push to get people to buy a new device?)

I was trying to do the reset as instructed, but kept getting an error message.  I had deleted the device from my profile, re-added the machine using **50011, and started the Google Voice setup procedure.  I was logged into the correct Google account, but when I tried to complete the process I got a small pop-up stating "Cannot configure device. Please try again!"  I went a little more advanced, tried updating the network settings to include a public DNS (instead of my gateway router's IP).  Still no success.

I noticed someone else mention browser, so I thought I would give that a go.  I generally roll with Firefox, but when I want the "full experience" I use Internet Explorer.  I don't have AdBlock, NoScript, etc.. running on IE.  So I was using Internet Explorer but it was just not working.  So I jumped onto Google Chrome.  I had to temporarily disable ScriptSafe, turn off AdBlock and AdBlockPlus.  Once I logged into ObitTalk and tried to configure the device again, I finally had success.

So if you have been reading messages but haven't seen this issue addressed, make sure to give different browsers a try.  ObiTalk uses some scripts to link with Google in getting the GV account authorized.  Hopefully this note helps the handful of odd cases like myself who weren't seeing resolution from the standard reset instructions.

Thanks to forum members, especially SteveInWA, who patiently work to resolve users' issues
!  I have been enjoying "free" home phone service for 5+ years thanks to my ObiHai 110.  I keep wondering each time this happens (about once a year) if "this will be the time it finally dies".  Not this time.  I appreciate the efforts of those who help us make the most out of these devices.

SteveInWA

Sounds like javascript being blocked on FF or Chrome would have been the culprit; I dunno why MSIE wouldn't work. 

I use Adblock Plus and Ghostery, and they don't interfere with Gmail or Google Voice, but most websites these days rely heavily on javascript.

Thanks for your post and kind words.

ng2016

I have tried many times to update my firmware to the 1.3.0 (Build: 2886). After rebooting, the system continues to show firmware version of 1.3.0 (Build 2872) and I continue to not have GV set up.

Anyone with similar experience?

SteveInWA

Quote from: ng2016 on November 30, 2016, 06:20:10 PM
I have tried many times to update my firmware to the 1.3.0 (Build: 2886). After rebooting, the system continues to show firmware version of 1.3.0 (Build 2872) and I continue to not have GV set up.

Anyone with similar experience?

Follow these instructions, exactly:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.0