News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100 says need firmware update to use GV, but already using latest version

Started by EnricoPallazzo, May 18, 2016, 03:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDreamer

Quote from: Wuwu on June 23, 2016, 05:33:54 PM
I have always kept my OBI devices up-to-date.  This recent maneuver by OBI is hogwash.

Is it possible to update the firmware manually via expert config and/or remotely while NOT on the same network the OBI is plugged in to?

Apparently, yes... courtesy of drgeoff

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11372.msg74826#msg74826

SteveInWA

Quote from: Wuwu on June 23, 2016, 05:33:54 PM
I have always kept my OBI devices up-to-date.  This recent maneuver by OBI is hogwash.

Is it possible to update the firmware manually via expert config and/or remotely while NOT on the same network the OBI is plugged in to?

Now that you have gotten rid of the very old firmware build, yes.  Read drgeoff's instructions:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11372.msg74826#msg74826

Jfriedlund

Yorktown - THANK YOU for taking the time to post step by step instructions on how to do the firmware update. I tried dialing into the system and all I would get is a recording saying "firmware update unavailable". Your system worked perfectly and I'm back in business. Thanks again!

triplevvv

Thanks for this, this solved my problem.   I haven't logged in to my account until I found out that my device is not working.  So here are some question regarding this firmware?

1) what is this firmware, do you have the release note?  I think I set my device to auto upgrade before, now I am out of warranty, and in my device setting there is no auto upgrade anymore, would they still auto upgrade it?

2) Can I disable the autoupgrade? Or they want everyone to subscribe the warranty?  in order to make the device work in the near future?

3) Can I downgrade to the 2014 firmware? 

Thanks for the help.

Quote from: Seattleweather on June 14, 2016, 08:05:39 PM
Quote from: yorktown on May 18, 2016, 09:37:23 PM
Found the solution on another thread for the Obi100. 

Download this firmware for the Obi110 http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
(Yes, I know its for the Obi110 but it will work in the Obi100).

Then Reboot.

If you don't know how to install the firmware:

Dial * * * 1

It will give  you the IP Address:  192.168.XXX.XXX   (example 192.168.1.27 )

In your browser, enter the IP Address as the URL.

User Name: admin
password: admin

On the left side, navigate to SYSTEM MANAGEMENT

Click DEVICE UPDATE

At the top where it says "Firmware Update
Select file to update firmware [BROWSE] ...."

Click BROWSE and add the file.    Then click UPLOAD

Once it reboots its done.

In the obitalk portal, you can delete the old device and add a new device.  Its should work with Google Voice using OAuth.

Thank you. It fixed my 110 problem, for now.

SteveInWA

Just read my instructions here, and perform the procedure.  That's all you need to do:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.0

There are no release notes.

pducharme

It worked! :) thanks for the tips.  I didn't had to re-auth, just do the firmware upgrade.

LimitDown

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 26, 2016, 07:53:40 PM
Just read my instructions here, and perform the procedure.  That's all you need to do:

I have successfully downloaded the new firmware. Yes, I triple checked. GV did not come back up as the SP1 choice. Nothing worked at all.

I clicked the "GV set up" on the dashboard and it reads that it's connected; however, my phone number does NOT show up.

I can call out to local #s only, like my cell phone, but my home number shows as "restricted" on the cell phone, with no number showing.  Additionally, NO calls inbound to the home # can reach us, and everyone receives the "GV customer you called is not available" or whatever its exact phrase it.

Moreover, I deleted the device - reset it following the instructions and GV automatically came up as the SP1, but again with NO associated # and the aforementioned problems are still happening.

I didn't change a thing with my Google data - esp the phone number. Logging in to GV has been useless too -- the damn number has vanished with the upgraded firmware.

Any ideas??

drgeoff

Quote from: LimitDown on June 28, 2016, 09:22:09 PMLogging in to GV has been useless too -- the damn number has vanished with the upgraded firmware.
Are you saying that your GV number is not showing under "Your number" as in the screenshot below?  If yes, that cannot be caused merely by upgrading your Obi's firmware.

SteveInWA

Quote from: LimitDown on June 28, 2016, 09:22:09 PM

I have successfully downloaded the new firmware. Yes, I triple checked. GV did not come back up as the SP1 choice. Nothing worked at all.

I clicked the "GV set up" on the dashboard and it reads that it's connected; however, my phone number does NOT show up.

I can call out to local #s only, like my cell phone, but my home number shows as "restricted" on the cell phone, with no number showing.  Additionally, NO calls inbound to the home # can reach us, and everyone receives the "GV customer you called is not available" or whatever its exact phrase it.

Moreover, I deleted the device - reset it following the instructions and GV automatically came up as the SP1, but again with NO associated # and the aforementioned problems are still happening.

I didn't change a thing with my Google data - esp the phone number. Logging in to GV has been useless too -- the damn number has vanished with the upgraded firmware.

Any ideas??

You don't have an OBi problem.  You have a Google Voice problem.  You are signed into the wrong Google account -- one that doesn't have a Google Voice number.  This easy to do by mistake.

Log out of ALL things Googley in your web browser, including Gmail, Docs, Maps, Voice, etc.  Clear your browser's cache, cookies and history.  Close and reopen the browser.  Log in again, paying careful attention to using the correct Gmail address and password that is associated with your Google Voice phone number.  If you don't see the exact two words, "Your number" on the left side of the web page, then you are either still logged onto the wrong account, or your Google Voice phone number was reclaimed (taken back by Google) for lack of use.

You can use the tool linked below to have Google send an automated email note to the correct Gmail address that hosts the number.  Of course, you must have kept a record of any Gmail accounts you created, so you can go look for the note.

http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115100&topic=29345

LimitDown

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 29, 2016, 07:06:26 AM
Quote from: LimitDown on June 28, 2016, 09:22:09 PM

Any ideas??

You don't have an OBi problem.  You have a Google Voice problem.  You are signed into the wrong Google account -- one that doesn't have a Google Voice number.  This easy to do by mistake.

Log out of ALL things Googley in your web browser, including Gmail, Docs, Maps, Voice, etc.  Clear your browser's cache, cookies and history.  Close and reopen the browser.  Log in again, paying careful attention to using the correct Gmail address and password that is associated with your Google Voice phone number.  If you don't see the exact two words, "Your number" on the left side of the web page, then you are either still logged onto the wrong account, or your Google Voice phone number was reclaimed (taken back by Google) for lack of use.

You can use the tool linked below to have Google send an automated email note to the correct Gmail address that hosts the number.  Of course, you must have kept a record of any Gmail accounts you created, so you can go look for the note.

http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115100&topic=29345

Yes there is a # on the lower left of the page, but isn't mine. GV couldn't have reclaimed my # for lack of use, because it was used every day for four years. 

Btw, I thought it might be a GV issue, but happened with the OBI update. I'll try the Google link route next.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

The reason it happened when you performed the OBi firmware update, was because the update necessitated re-authenticating your OBi device with your Google Voice account.  You were logged into the wrong Google account when you did that, so now your OBi device can't access the GV account that holds your GV phone number.  You will need to find the correct Google account.

If/when you do find the correct Google account, you need to be logged into that account in your web browser, and then press Ctrl-T to open a new browser tab, leaving the GV web page open in the first tab.  Then, log into your OBiTALK dashboard, click on your OBi, click on SP1 or SP2, whichever one you use with GV, and then, after getting past the 911 call warning, click the link to "Replace Google Account Credentials".  Look closely at the Google username it displays, and make sure it is for the correct Google Voice account.  Submit your change and wait for the OBi to reboot.  That will fix it.

LimitDown

Steve,

I REALLY appreciate your prompt and well informed responses but there is another problem I suppose: I have never had a different Google account.  I am using my one and ONLY gmail account, and what I assume is my only Google account.  I have had to change the password, but never the gmail account/email.

Thanks again.

SteveInWA

Enter your Google Voice phone number into the username assistance tool webpage I posted.

You will see one of two results:  If it says "The number, xxxxxxxxxx, you provided does not appear to be a Google Voice number." then your number was reclaimed.  If it says this:

"We've sent you an email message with login instructions for Google Voice associated with your (xxx) xxx-xxxx number. An email was sent to your gmail.com account username associated with Google Voice. Please check your gmail.com account for your login information.
If you have multiple accounts with gmail.com, try checking all the accounts. If the email from this page doesn't seem to arrive, you might check your Spam folder in case the message got misrouted. Please make sure that your inbox is not full so that this message does not bounce."

Then you do, in fact, have some other Google/Gmail account.

People often say "I only have ONE account, and I am sure about it", but this tool is the official source of information.

LimitDown

Could it be that I simply changed my name as it appears on the web?  I did that some time ago; however, I have never had another gmail account.  Would the new name be treated as a separate account?

Thanks again.

SteveInWA

Quote from: LimitDown on June 30, 2016, 02:45:28 PM
Could it be that I simply changed my name as it appears on the web?  I did that some time ago; however, I have never had another gmail account.  Would the new name be treated as a separate account?

Thanks again.

No.  That has nothing to do with it.

Did you enter your phone number into the username assistance web page?  Which answer did it give you?

LimitDown

It was the 2nd, long answer, which is why you said i did have another account. I can assure you, however, that I have only had one gmail and one hotmail account... ever.

LimitDown

OK - how do I gladly pay the $10 for OBI to fix this, like NOW???

SteveInWA

Based on it telling you that it sent a note to your email account, I can assure you that:

• Yes, your Google Voice telephone number is active and still assigned to a Google account.
  • No, it's not the account you think it is.

That tool is looking directly at the Google account that is assigned to your Google Voice telephone number.  It has no way to make a mistake.  The fact that it found your number absolutely, positively, without any doubt, means that it is assigned to a particular email address/userid, and if you don't see the number, then you are logged into the wrong account.

There is nothing else that can be done to recover your number, if you can't find the account.  You would need to sign up for a new Google Voice phone number.

Obihai can't fix this.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with them.

Using a laptop or desktop computer's web browser, not a smartphone or tablet, log into your Google Voice account, using the user ID you believe to be correct.  Go to this web page.

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Look at the left side of the page.  If it says the exact two words, "Your number", then that's your Google Voice number, and you're logged into the correct account.  If it says "Access number" or "Get a Voice number", then you are logged into the wrong account.

If it doesn't say "Your number", and you want to get another GV phone number, then click the "Get a Voice number" link.

LimitDown

NOTHING works.  I spent 90-min on the phone with GOOGLE SUPPORT...and they have no fkg idea what's wrong.

OBiHai --- meet ---->>>  HAMMER!!

SteveInWA

Quote from: LimitDown on June 30, 2016, 04:38:55 PM
NOTHING works.  I spent 90-min on the phone with GOOGLE SUPPORT...and they have no fkg idea what's wrong.

OBiHai --- meet ---->>>  HAMMER!!

There is no such thing as Google Support for Google Voice.  I explained exactly what your problem is.  It is a case of PEBKAC.

Here's your hammer.  Now, go buy a magicJack.