News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100 says need firmware update to use GV, but already using latest version

Started by EnricoPallazzo, May 18, 2016, 03:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LimitDown

Until now Steve, you have been a very patient and helpful man. Now, however, you're acting like a child.  Correct, there is NO support for GV..my wife handed me the phone after she made the call. I didn't think I needed to say that, or correct her while she was trying to help. Nevertheless, someone from Google was trying to help me for 90 minutes to no avail.

OBI meet hammer was a euphemism for "I'm upset."  Do you know what a euphemism is?  I'm sorry that it went over your head.

Let me repeat what I said earlier: I have been using GV & OBI for F O U R straight years, with no problems...so it goes without saying that OVERALL I am quite happy.

Don't get ur panties in a bunch dude.

LimitDown

SOLVED

I just got a new number...lol  !!

Still using OBI b/c I always liked it and will still tell others they should use it.  This hiccup won't stop me from bragging as it's a great service!

Meh! Sometimes the tech can be a bitch, but who cares overall.

Trade well y'all!!

DonJ

Quote from: Mango on June 10, 2016, 08:06:25 AM

It's curious that this problem did not happen for all 1xx series devices at the same time.

I believe that is because it happens on the anniversary of when you first used your Obi device. Happened to me in April 2015, and again April 2016. Began using my Obi in April 2013, so they missed 2014.   :D

lucy1012

Dear Sir/Mam,

Highly appreciate your fast respond!

May I explain something to you?

1) I can heard dial sound correctly
     2) I can download new firmware and showed me :the firmeware is identical  and succeed

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw

3) dial **9 222 222 222   is good : The echo from phone seems work well.
4)  I  call regular phone number  then I can heard : your phone
"no service continue in your area please log on OBITALK.COM to fix it"

Do you think it is some set up procedure is not correct or the firmware is not match this device now?

When I dial ***1 , I can't heard IP address and just check it from router.
  Seems it is set up  or firmware propbelm ,no hardware broken.

I need your help !!!

lucy1012

Dear Sir/Mam,

2) I can download new firmware and showed me :the firmeware is identical  and succeed

Do you think it is some set up procedure is not correct or the firmware is not match this device now?

I need your help !!!

Webslinger

Quote from: lucy1012 on July 05, 2016, 05:32:29 PM
Dear Sir/Mam,

I need your help !!!

You need to actually subscribe to a VoIP provider's service or obtain Google Voice.
http://www.obihai.com/tutorial1

brianSC

Quote from: Taoman on May 18, 2016, 05:29:15 PM
Download the following new firmware version and install manually:

Please report back if that fixed the problem.

Thank you for your post!  I am no techie, but was able to download the firmware update, install manually, and then use my obitalk account to configure Google Voice on our Obi100 automatically on SP2 and this enabled our outgoing calls to start working again.  I use GV on the Obi to dial out for normal calls.  In our setup, SP1 is used for incoming calls via Callcentric (for name and number caller ID) and for outgoing 911 calls. I used Vestalink for a couple years on this obi with caller ID spoof for outgoing calls, but decided to try this less expensive alternative setup that others have recommended.  Seems to be working great so far and costing us $1.50 per month overall.

diazfamily

I'm 100% sure I updated to the latest firmware, but my Obi has alternating red and green no matter what I do.  I couldn't dial to get the IP address from the phone I have GV connected with since my phone shows "Check TEL Line" so I went to my router and found the IP address to upload the firmware that way (http://192.168.1.112/ for me).

I went to the IP address and then I see this:

I click on update and then I see the light on my Obi turn orange for a bit, and then I see that it updated successfully, but even after power cycling and waiting for 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 10 minutes, it still alternates red and green....

I don't know what to do :( I can use Google Voice still and just forward everything to my cell phone and not use the Obi anymore....but I know this can be fixed somehow.

Please ask me any questions you need to ask that may help you help my family.  Thank you!

Quote from: DonJ on May 19, 2016, 11:36:08 AM

For now it is working again. But after manually installing the new firmware all I had for ~10 minutes was blinking red / green.  The first time I unplugged the power cord for ~20 seconds, still the same. Then I unplugged for ~1 minute and it successfully rebooted and 2886 is running.

SteveInWA

Quote from: diazfamily on July 09, 2016, 09:57:05 PM
I'm 100% sure I updated to the latest firmware, but my Obi has alternating red and green no matter what I do.  I couldn't dial to get the IP address from the phone I have GV connected with since my phone shows "Check TEL Line" so I went to my router and found the IP address to upload the firmware that way (http://192.168.1.112/ for me).

I went to the IP address and then I see this:

I click on update and then I see the light on my Obi turn orange for a bit, and then I see that it updated successfully, but even after power cycling and waiting for 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 10 minutes, it still alternates red and green....

I don't know what to do :( I can use Google Voice still and just forward everything to my cell phone and not use the Obi anymore....but I know this can be fixed somehow.

Please ask me any questions you need to ask that may help you help my family.  Thank you!

Hi:

Your screenshot didn't work.  Can you try again?  You need to save the screenshot as a JPG or PNG or GIF file.

See:  http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

The flashing red and green LEDs means that the firmware update was corrupted, and now it can't completely boot up.  If the device is getting an IP address, and the page you see (the one in your invisible screenshot) is inviting you to upload the firmware again, then first discard any copy of the firmware you previously downloaded, and then download a fresh copy here:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-latest.fw

If that fails, then your OBi's flash memory has failed, and you'll need to buy a new one.  I recommend the OBi 200, as a better device overall, with a more capable processor, more memory, support for 4 service providers, and the ability to upgrade to potential new features.

diazfamily

I tried using the "insert image" button but it didn't work, so I just attached it instead.

The thing is, I've had a perfectly working Obi since July 2013.  Then all of a sudden I get this green and red alternating light?  Doesn't make sense.

I'm guessing it kept trying to automatically update since I never turned off the feature, but due to the new $10 thing, it kept failing...

The Obi 200 sounds nice, but I really don't need all the features it provides..unless you're willing to donate $50 :)

Maybe since my screenshots are no longer "invisible" you'll have a better idea of what problem I'm having.  Again, please ask more questions if needed.  I appreciate your help!  Thanks.

SteveInWA

The flashing red and green LEDs, and the special firmware upgrade screen you now see, are evidence that your OBi now has a corrupted firmware image loaded on it (for whatever reason).

Log onto the OBiTALK portal, and completely delete your OBi device off of the dashboard.  Wait a few minutes.

Unplug the OBi from power and from the Ethernet cable.  Using a paper clip, gently depress the recessed reset button on the bottom of the device until you can feel a click.  Plug just the power cable into the OBi while continuing to hold in the reset button (requires some dexterity, or get a friend to help).  Wait at least 10 seconds, until the power LED starts blinking.  Release the reset button.  Wait... give it time for the factory reset to attempt completion; Five minutes would be fine.  It will likely still show the alternating red/green power LED.  Plug the Ethernet cable back in.

As I mentioned above, download a fresh copy of the firmware, and enter the file location on the firmware update page you posted, and click the button to upgrade.  Again, be patient and wait.

If this doesn't fix it, then it has a hardware failure that can't be fixed.  You'll need to buy a new one.

Looking at amazon.com, it appears that the 100 devices are out of stock, and are currently only being sold by third party sellers.  Do not buy from them.  Wait until it's available again, directly from Amazon, and not from a third-party.

The 200 devices are in stock, but you need to click the link in "Note: Available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping." to see the direct-from-Amazon choice.

Hint:  Amazon "Prime Day" is coming up soon, on July 12th.  It would be worth waiting to see if an OBi model goes on sale.

MelStL

QuoteDownload the following new firmware version and install manually:

Totally worked for me, after several weeks of frustrating troubleshooting.  Thanks!

enjoyit

Thanks that worked and the instruction following this post helped me update firmware. Thank-you.

Redwood

I just want to say Thanks! so much for all the help/advise here.... Finally got mine working again... pls, give me Several More years of great service! I'm too old to follow directions anymore! ha

My_VOIP

Quote from: yorktown on May 18, 2016, 09:37:23 PM
Found the solution on another thread for the Obi100. 

Download this firmware for the Obi110 http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
(Yes, I know its for the Obi110 but it will work in the Obi100).

Then Reboot.

If you don't know how to install the firmware:

Dial * * * 1

It will give  you the IP Address:  192.168.XXX.XXX   (example 192.168.1.27 )

In your browser, enter the IP Address as the URL.

User Name: admin
password: admin

On the left side, navigate to SYSTEM MANAGEMENT

Click DEVICE UPDATE

At the top where it says "Firmware Update
Select file to update firmware [BROWSE] ...."

Click BROWSE and add the file.    Then click UPLOAD

Once it reboots its done.

In the obitalk portal, you can delete the old device and add a new device.  Its should work with Google Voice using OAuth.

This worked for me so well. Thx for the firmware and instructions

daytradder

Quote from: yorktown on May 18, 2016, 09:37:23 PM

This is worked for me, thanks yorktown ... make sure to reconfigure your device in "Device Configuration"

Found the solution on another thread for the Obi100. 

Download this firmware for the Obi110 http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
(Yes, I know its for the Obi110 but it will work in the Obi100).

Then Reboot.

If you don't know how to install the firmware:

Dial * * * 1

It will give  you the IP Address:  192.168.XXX.XXX   (example 192.168.1.27 )

In your browser, enter the IP Address as the URL.

User Name: admin
password: admin

On the left side, navigate to SYSTEM MANAGEMENT

Click DEVICE UPDATE

At the top where it says "Firmware Update
Select file to update firmware [BROWSE] ...."

Click BROWSE and add the file.    Then click UPLOAD

Once it reboots its done.

In the obitalk portal, you can delete the old device and add a new device.  Its should work with Google Voice using OAuth.

lucy1012

***1 cant get IP address
**9 222 222 222
is good .
heard:"no service in your area log on obitalk.com"

FormerYooper

No service this morning with Obi100 with current firmware in place.  Tried to make a call & was told to log into Obitalk.  When I did, it says OBi now longer supports this device and I need to reconfigure it.  GV on SP1 and Callcentric on SP2.  I have tried 3 times unsuccessfully to reconfigure.  I even get a message on the top of the configuration page that GV was successfully configure and yet the message next to SP1 say Service NOT configured.  What the heck is going on?  If our OBi 100 is still in working order, why is OBi not allowing us to configure the device?

Edit/Update:  This is BS.  I have an OBi 200, so I just configured my services there! 

Mango

Double check that your firmware build is 2886.  If not, perform a manual upgrade to 2886 and that should solve the problem.  If it is already 2886, factory reset and reconfigure.

RaymondDay61

Got mine working the OBi110. Did the firmware update "1.3.0 (Build: 2886)" then hold the button on the bottom of it for 15 sec. Went to obitalk.com and said to set up my Google voice again. But after a wile it error-ed and said to type on my phone some *** number. I did and my OBi110 reset it self about 5 times wile I went to set it up. I could hear a little click on it.

Went to set it up again on obitalk.com and it set up my SP2 and I seen my SP1 changed to "Connected" so I deleted the SP2.

I tested it out calling my cell phone and it works again.

So the Factory Reset button seems to fix it.

-Raymond Day