News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100 says need firmware update to use GV, but already using latest version

Started by EnricoPallazzo, May 18, 2016, 03:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EnricoPallazzo

For the past 2 years, everything has worked fine, but 2 days ago, my service stopped working. I was able to re-authenticate GV in the ObiTalk dash to get it working, but today, when it happened again, I was not able to re-authenticate.

I currently have 1.3.0.2872 installed (the latest firmware version), but I am still receiving the message that I need to update the firmware in order for my Google Voice account to work. I've tried a factory reset and changing GV logins, but no dice. I would like to try downgrading the firmware (a solution that has worked for OBI 2xxx), but I cannot find the firmware for previous versions (e.g. 1.3.0.2824).

Anyone run into this issue or have a link to the previous firmware versions for OBI100?

SteveInWA

NO, do not attempt to downgrade your firmware.  The message you are reading is basically an advertisement to get you to pay $10 for another year of customer support.  Just ignore the message, since your device is already at the current firmware level.

Follow these instructions to set up your device:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

Note that there is currently a bug that is causing widespread authentication failures on OBi 100/110 devices.  There is nothing you can or need to do to fix this, until Obihai fixes it on their end.

EnricoPallazzo

Thank you! I figured that may have been the case. Do you know if there is a thread in this forum that discusses the issue? I would love to subscribe to that thread so that I know when the issue is resolved.

Funny enough, I sent ObiTalk a support message asking if this was a known issue, but because my device was out of warranty, they couldn't tell me...

helpme

Have a OBi110.  Exactly the same thing has happened to us.  C'mon Obihai, let's get on this.  Thanks!

SteveInWA

LetsTalk

My obi110 using google voice also stopped working today, after years of use and no network or google account changes. The message was something like "no google voice service" or the like. I've spent hours following online instructions, including Steve's, which I followed faithfully, to the letter:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

I logged into Obitalk and saw what appears to be a shameful $10 extortion, insisting I needed to pay to upgrade my firmware, and also saying my gmail password was "old." (I thought from earlier reading that re-entering my gmail password was the solution, but Obitalk wouldn't let me do that). I continued with Steve's instructions & went ahead and deleted my SP1 configuration.  I noticed that my firmware is the latest one that Steve's instructions linked to (ending in 2872).  From there on I've been trapped in an endless, circular loop of clicking between "google voice setup" and "service provider setup" buttons, then choose google voice, but it never allows me to add or change anything. Just goes in circles.

Can someone give explicit instructions on how to configure SP1 for Google voice via the Expert User Configuration? 

P.S. I have rebooted the obi100 several times.  I still haven't been able to fix the SP1 configuration on Obitalk, but when I tried one last time just now, I was able to make a phone call!  The phone # shown is not one I recognize - has a 242 prefix. SP2 is configured for 911 calls via Anveo, could that be what going on? 

Anyway, I'm desperate to get my google voice connection back working.  Very much hope for advice, thank you all in advance.

EnricoPallazzo

As @SteveInWA said, there is nothing to do but wait for ObiHai to fix it. Subscribe to the other thread for updates on the issue.

Taoman

Download the following new firmware version and install manually:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw

Please report back if that fixed the problem.

Xelloss

Quote from: Taoman on May 18, 2016, 05:29:15 PM

I was having this same issue, posted about it a few minutes before this one... I tried the firmware you posted and everything is working fine now, thank you so much!

LauraF

I had this problem today also.  I tried to make a call and I received a message that my Google password was recently changed so I logged into my Obi account and tried to fix it but received the message about having to pay $10.  The firmware download worked.  Thank you!

Quote from: Xelloss on May 18, 2016, 06:08:32 PM

I was having this same issue, posted about it a few minutes before this one... I tried the firmware you posted and everything is working fine now, thank you so much!

R_Chandra

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 18, 2016, 03:22:34 PM
NO, do not attempt to downgrade your firmware.
Attempt all you want, it won't allow you to go back.  After that OAuth2 update, I didn't like the fact that it now REQUIRED use of the Web site (OBiTALK portal), but the device wouldn't allow a downgrade back to the version using simple username and password entry.  Lamentably enough, I read today about some users on BBR/DSLR that refused that update, and never had any of the trouble warned/promised/threatened by Google way back when, and were still working.

SteveInWA

Quote from: R_Chandra on May 18, 2016, 07:06:24 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 18, 2016, 03:22:34 PM
NO, do not attempt to downgrade your firmware.
Attempt all you want, it won't allow you to go back.  After that OAuth2 update, I didn't like the fact that it now REQUIRED use of the Web site (OBiTALK portal), but the device wouldn't allow a downgrade back to the version using simple username and password entry.  Lamentably enough, I read today about some users on BBR/DSLR that refused that update, and never had any of the trouble warned/promised/threatened by Google way back when, and were still working.

OAUTH 2.0 authentication is required by Google to use the service.  The prior method was a security exposure and was removed from the firmware as required by Google.

Taoman

Quote from: R_Chandra on May 18, 2016, 07:06:24 PM
Lamentably enough, I read today about some users on BBR/DSLR that refused that update, and never had any of the trouble warned/promised/threatened by Google way back when, and were still working.

While this is true, it is also true they are using an authentication protocol that has been deprecated by Google. At some point (who knows when) that old authentication method will cease to function.

RedFalcon6

OMG - that firmware is golden.  I spent hours only downloading old firmwares (because that's where the support page points!!!)  THANK YOU!

yorktown

Found the solution on another thread for the Obi100. 

Download this firmware for the Obi110 http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
(Yes, I know its for the Obi110 but it will work in the Obi100).

Then Reboot.

If you don't know how to install the firmware:

Dial * * * 1

It will give  you the IP Address:  192.168.XXX.XXX   (example 192.168.1.27 )

In your browser, enter the IP Address as the URL.

User Name: admin
password: admin

On the left side, navigate to SYSTEM MANAGEMENT

Click DEVICE UPDATE

At the top where it says "Firmware Update
Select file to update firmware [BROWSE] ...."

Click BROWSE and add the file.    Then click UPLOAD

Once it reboots its done.

In the obitalk portal, you can delete the old device and add a new device.  Its should work with Google Voice using OAuth.

Brisk

To update firmware, simply pick up your phone and dial ***6, 1.

drgeoff

Quote from: yorktown on May 18, 2016, 09:37:23 PM
Download this firmware for the Obi110 http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
(Yes, I know its for the Obi110 but it will work in the Obi100).
The 100 and 110 do not have individual firmwares.  There is only one and it runs on both devices.

BobTeatow

Ditto, ditto, ditto...  Same problems yesterday and today and today the firmware "latest" pointer in the support forum is still wrong, pointing at 2872 whereas the "real" latest for OBI100 and OBI110 is 2886.

You may see rants on other threads on this board... Sorry... I didn't find this one til now...

DonJ

For now it is working again. But after manually installing the new firmware all I had for ~10 minutes was blinking red / green.  The first time I unplugged the power cord for ~20 seconds, still the same. Then I unplugged for ~1 minute and it successfully rebooted and 2886 is running.

DonJ

Quote from: Brisk on May 18, 2016, 11:31:24 PM
To update firmware, simply pick up your phone and dial ***6, 1.

Did not work for me, all it said was software update not available. Said nothing about firmware.