News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200, Google Voice, Time Warner Cable internet problem

Started by mike_s, May 15, 2016, 03:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_s

I have an OBI100 and 200 that have been used for Google Voice occasionally on Verizon DSL without problems. Both have up to date firmware.

Recently moved the 200 to TWC and have been having endless problems with Google Voice. I connect to TWC using an Arris modem-only SurfBoard through an ASUS RT-N12 router. Regular SIP does not work on this router because you can't disable ALG but as I understand this has no bearing with GV. My experience:

Initial phone call after registration, caller cannot hear me but I can hear them.

Power off, reset a few times, next call has poor outgoing voice but at least they can hear me.

After a few minutes, call drops with both sides hearing silence. If I hang up, I can re-dial but the call never goes through.

Power off, restart again. OBI200 now announces THERE IS NO SERVICE when attempting to dial out.
After a few cycles of this, I can eventually make a call in which there is two-sided audio and the call does not drop. After hanging up ... THERE IS NO SERVICE.

I have seen various threads around here dating back a couple of years complaining about a near-identical scenario. Those issues were blamed on a Google Voice "issue" which they eventually fixed. Is it back?

SteveInWA

It's time for a new/better router.

There is no current issue with Google Voice that would cause these symptoms.