News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Config for local calls via landline & long distance calls via Google Voice

Started by Darin, July 05, 2011, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin

I know there are several posts on this topic already but I'm reading conflicting (and seemingly very complicated) information on how to set up a simple outbound call filter on the Obi110. 

I have the analog PSTN line port (my landline) set as the Primary Line for outbound calls and SIP Service Provider 1 uses Google Voice. I understand 911 calls automatically route via the PSTN.

I simply want 10 digit numbers to route via the PSTN line port and everything else (11 digit numbers & 011 numbers) to route via Google Voice.

Thank you!

RonR

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap:

([2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>1xxxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

Darin

Awesome! Works perfectly, thank you. However, we have new developments, as follows:

1. Would like 7 digit dialing via PSTN using 403 area code.
2. Would like all other calls to go over GV including 10 digit (other than 403), 11 digit & 011.

Thanks again.

RonR

You can't dial a 7-dgit number and have the OBi read your mind as to whether you want that to be a 403 call via the PSTN or an 801 call via Google Voice.   :)

The following assumes 7-digit calls are for area code 403 via the PSTN.  You can dial **1 + a 7-digit number and 1 + 801 will be added before it's sent via Google Voice.

(<403>xxxxxxx|(403xxxxxxx|<**1>xx.)

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<1801>xxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)

7-digits  ->  PSTN (403 + 7-digits)
403 + 7-digits  ->  PSTN (403 + 7-digits)

10-digits  ->  Google Voice (1 + 10-digits)
        11-digits  ->  Google Voice (11-digits)
             011+  ->  Google Voice (011+)

ProfTech

It sounds like your local area code is 403 and your PSTN provider requires 10 digit dialing for a local call. If this is correct, the settings below should give you the dialing you want without any need to press any extra digits like **1, etc. I am leaving the *** in there just in case you want or need to access the internal settings.

(911|***|#|(Mli)|(Msp1)) Phone port digit map

{(911|<#:>|(Mli)):li},{(Msp1):sp1},{***:aa2}} Phone port outbound call route

(1[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx|[011]xx.)  ITSPA Digit Map

(<403>[2-9]xxxxxx) Line port digit map

If you dial 911 it will go to the PSTN [GV doesn't support 911]
Any time you dial 7 digits it will be sent out the PSTN as 403 + what you dialed [10 digits total]
Any time you dial "011 + anything", any 10 digits beginning with 2-9, or 11 digits beginning with "1" the call will be sent to Google Voice [ITSPA]

You can force a 403 call to go out Google Voice at any time simply by dialing 10 digits.

*Updated the ITSPA digit map to remove some ambiguity.

RonR

ProfTech,

Why would you want to remove PHONE Port support for?:

1. Speed Dials
2. SP2 Service
3. OBiTALK Service
4. Auto Attendant
5. One-Stage Dialing to Another OBi
6. IP Dialing
7. SIP URI Calling

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: ProfTech on July 06, 2011, 08:35:16 AM
It sounds like your local area code is 403 and your PSTN provider requires 10 digit dialing for a local call. If this is correct, the settings below should give you the dialing you want without any need to press any extra digits like **1, etc. I am leaving the *** in there just in case you want or need to access the internal settings.

(911|***|#|(Mli)|(Msp1)) Phone port digit map

{(911|<#:>|(Mli)):li},{(Msp1):sp1},{***:aa2}} Phone port outbound call route

(1[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx|[011]xx.)  ITSPA Digit Map

(<403>[2-9]xxxxxx) Line port digit map

Please DO NOT follow this advice.  As RonR points out, you will be killing most of the functionality of your OBi device.  This is a REALLY bad suggestion.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

MichiganTelephone

You know, I have a strong visceral negative reaction to guys like you.  You just ASSUME that the customer will never want to use certain features of the device he bought and paid for, so you cavalierly remove them just so it won't confuse him.  In doing so, you treat "the customer" like an idiot.

If you know what you are doing, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to cripple existing functionality.  You can give the customer the dial patterns he is used to, and still leave the other features available in case he someday decides he wants to use one of those features.  Unless you can predict the future, you have no way of knowing that he won't ever want to use the OBiTALK network, for example.

If you don't know what you are doing, then you have no business setting up these devices for others, especially if they're the ones paying for the devices. And you CERTAINLY have no business giving such bad advice in this forum.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Darin

Thanks everyone for your help. We don't want to cripple any functionality and I apologize for not being more clear. We're new to this device and I've been reading the forum like crazy to figure out how to make it work for our needs, which are:

1. We want 7 digit dialing via PSTN with 403 area code.
2. We want 10 digit dialing, 011, and all other area codes to go via GV. We don't want to dial 1+10 digits.

I tried this:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap::

(<403>xxxxxxx|403xxxxxxx|<**1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

The 7 digit 403 calls work fine but 10 digit calls get an error recording from the PSTN telco.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: Darin on July 06, 2011, 02:36:07 PMThe 7 digit 403 calls work fine but 10 digit calls get an error recording from the PSTN telco.

Just as a sanity check, when you first pick up the phone, press # to get a dial tone direct from the telco and then try dialing your ten digit number and see if you get the same recording,  It may be that your phone company requires 11 digit dialing (although that would be strange since you say that 7 digit calls, which are translated to 10 digits seem to be working for you) or it may be there is some other problem with the particular number you are calling.

Beyond that, I'll let RonR address this because he and I do things a little differently and since he's already helping you, he would probably have a better idea of what needs to be tweaked.

RonR

Assuming:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap : (Default)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : (Default)
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : (Default)
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> DigitMap : (Default)
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute : (Default)

should send 10-digit numbers (other than area code 403) and international calls out SP1 (Google Voice).

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: ProfTech on July 06, 2011, 03:51:05 PM
I believe the reason you are getting the error may be because the default outbound call route will not route 10 digit numbers to ITSPA without dialing **1 first. That is why I suggested the settings I listed earlier. Granted, you will not be able to dial another Obi user or use the Auto Attendant and some of the other advanced features of the Obi but it sounds like you are looking for straight forward functionality. I use a similar set up in my Obi and it works very well. You can still use the Speed dial function of the telephone itself.

Even if the default OutboundCallRoute IS the problem, the solution is NOT to go chopping out everything you don't understand.  The solution is to add specific rules to cover the exceptions.

Looking in my OBi110, the default OutboundCallRoute is as follows (this is the device default, not what I personally use):

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Now, the OP originally said:

QuoteI simply want 10 digit numbers to route via the PSTN line port and everything else (11 digit numbers & 011 numbers) to route via Google Voice.

And then amended that to:

Quote1. Would like 7 digit dialing via PSTN using 403 area code.
2. Would like all other calls to go over GV including 10 digit (other than 403), 11 digit & 011.

So to summarize:

7 digit numbers to PSTN, sent as 10 digits
403 area calls to PSTN, sent as 10 digits
all other 10 or 11 digit calls to GV
All 011+ to GV.

Now, assuming that you have set up GV as your preferred provider, you really only need exceptions for the first two.  So here is the rule you could add to somewhere near the start of the OutboundCallRoute:

{(<403>[2-9]xxxxxx|403[2-9]xxxxxx):li},

Or, if you already have a rule that references :li near the start of the string, such as:

{(<#:>|911):li},

You could simply add the patterns there:

{(<#:>|911|<403>[2-9]xxxxxx|403[2-9]xxxxxx):li},

You DO NOT have to delete the other patterns.

Now, the way RonR has been telling you to do it should also work.  I believe the real problem you are running into is that you cannot mix 7 and 10 digit dialing without using a timeout.  What typically happens is that you dial seven digits and it stops there and sends that to the Line port (with 403 prepended in your case).  To avoid that, you have to play around with the DigitMap setting.  A default DigitMap (which you probably don't use) would look like this:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

What you probably need to do is add at least one rule to specifically handle the seven digit dialing case:

[2-9]xxxxxxS4|

Which I believe could be inserted after the 911| rule.  There may be a better way to do this but the bottom line is you need to add a short delay after seven digits are dialed to see if you are actually dialing 10 digits.  That's why I asked you to try a direct call using # and then a 10 digit number.  If that had gone through, that would pretty much indicate to me that when you are dialing (xxx)xxx-xxxx, what the PSTN line is actually getting is (403)(xxx)xxx-x if you see what I'm saying.

I may be missing something here, but I think if you can resolve that problem it will work.

RonR

Quote from: ProfTech on July 06, 2011, 03:51:05 PM
I believe the reason you are getting the error may be because the default outbound call route will not route 10 digit numbers to ITSPA without dialing **1 first.

ProfTech,

Given:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> DigitMap:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> PrimaryLine : PSTN Line

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

Dialing a 10-digit number works as follows:

1. PHONE Port -> DigitMap -> Mpli is: Mli
2. The 10-digit number matches LINE Port -> DigitMap rule : |<**1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx| (adding a leading **1)
3. The OutboundCallRoute rule: {(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1} matches (removing the **1) due to the ITSPA rule: |<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx| (adding a leading 1)
4. The 10-digit number with a leading 1 added is sent out SP1

ProfTech

Thanks. I was looking for the explanation of the dial plan that was posted by Obi some time ago that told which comes first, "the chicken or the egg" but couldn't find it.

ProfTech

Hello Darin,
If you are unable to make this work the way you want it to, send me a personal message via this forum and we can make contact and I can help you offline. There have been many posts in this forum by people looking to do the same simple things you are trying to do, with mixed results. The Obi is a very flexible device which can be configured in a myriad of ways and the way it comes configured "out of the box" can be daunting for someone who may only want it to perform simple emulation.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: ProfTech on July 07, 2011, 07:27:05 AM
Hello Darin,
If you are unable to make this work the way you want it to, send me a personal message via this forum and we can make contact and I can help you offline. There have been many posts in this forum by people looking to do the same simple things you are trying to do, with mixed results. The Obi is a very flexible device which can be configured in a myriad of ways and the way it comes configured "out of the box" can be daunting for someone who may only want it to perform simple emulation.

And what will you do? Cripple his OBi device so it no longer functions with the OBiTALK network and loses several other features?

Judging by your previous posts, you are the very last person I would ever ask for help.