News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Choosing and installing the right Obi

Started by gatorling, May 23, 2016, 06:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatorling

I'm planning to buy an Obi but cannot place the Obi near the phone.

Is it possible and safe to connect the Obi to my router and then have a mail-mail phone cord connect the obi to my (inactive) landline network?

Does it work this way? or do I always need to have the phone connected directly into the Obi?

Thanks

N7AS

Yes, you can do it that way. Just be absolutely sure that your inside phone wiring is disconnected from the box outside your home.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

dircom

you might use a regular telephone cord, instead of a mail-mail, fax-fax, or  ;)

Reiterate: go to the network interface and disconnect the inside house wires, from the incoming telco line !!

gatorling

So I assume that if I connect a phone to my house network and I do not hear a dial-tone then I am good...but for good measure I should go to where my home network connects to the utility drop and disconnect those wires?

Thanks everyone!

dircom

Quote from: gatorling on May 24, 2016, 03:30:37 PM
So I assume that if I connect a phone to my house network and I do not hear a dial-tone then I am good...but for good measure I should go to where my home network connects to the utility drop and disconnect those wires?

Thanks everyone!

No, you are not good if you don't hear a dial tone, it could still be connected to the cable outside.  Disconnect, Not for good measure, but to protect your in home network.