News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Tried to find on forums, but nothing as worked Obi 110, new modem (arris)

Started by pecan111, May 25, 2016, 04:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pecan111

hi there,

changed modem to Arris...have mediacom ISP.

Have used Obi 110 for awhile now, with no problems,..Google Voice...when modem changed, down went the Google voice...tried all the standard deals with reset, unplug, power up and down...you knw the drill.

Then looked on these forums..DL the update...but the format wont work...

Is Obi 110 even compatible anymore?   Do i need to get a new one?  I dont want to dump google voice number...can someone help me?
thanks ahead of time.

drgeoff

Yes the 110 still works with GV.  Are you downloading the '2886' firmware?

What do you mean by "the format wont (sic) work"

SteveInWA

We have no way to know what you are doing wrong.  It should simply work, if you follow the instructions.

• Download and save the .fw file from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.

pecan111

ok...i tried this,but i forgot to mention...all i have on my obi 110 is a blinking green light...i looked this up and it says no connection.  i tried plugging the obi into another ethernet opening on router and same thing. switched around the cords to make sure all ports are working on router..and they are.
i had updated the router after the new modem...didnt help.
The modem change is the problem...i cant figure out how to get teh obi back online so i can update it.  it was working perfectly prior to this..

and yes, i DL the file previously.. the type of file is a .fw file and it cant open it...that is what i meant by not working.

How do i get the obi to give me a dial tone, if i cant even get one???  i am sorry..i am pooped...every time i update something, something else goes a miss it seems...i am stuck on step one.
give me some guidance on how to get obi on again and i will certainly do the last set of instructions.
:)

thank you !!

PS...i looked on my dashboard on my obi talk acct and it says status "OFFLINE"  i also input a direct ethernet cable into the obi via directly from the modem..the obi still wont recognize> it looks like maybe OBI died or mediacom has something???(is it even possible) to block access

marc.guate

See if you can log into the device directly rather than using obitalk.  Obtain your ip address by pressing ***1 on your phone.  Then enter this IP address into a webbrowser; I used Chrome.  If you can do this you should be able to correctly update the software although you may need to do this with a router other than that supplied by your ISP.

drgeoff

The OBi110 should give dial tone when you take the phone off hook, even without any connection to its ethernet socket.

pecan111

Thank you both....I contacted obi via email and it appears some kind of electrical failure on 110 model. I just went ahead and ordered a 200 to update.  Apparently this thing is fried...no telling when it happened. Although it was in proximity to the time i changed out modem...i am now wondering if it was fried earlier and i didn't even realize it.  I only use it for faxing and a few other calls.

Now....when the new one gets here, will it pick up my old number automatically or am i looking at a problem there too?

Really appreciate the help...

Thanks

SteveInWA

Quote from: pecan111 on May 27, 2016, 06:52:15 AM
Thank you both....I contacted obi via email and it appears some kind of electrical failure on 110 model. I just went ahead and ordered a 200 to update.  Apparently this thing is fried...no telling when it happened. Although it was in proximity to the time i changed out modem...i am now wondering if it was fried earlier and i didn't even realize it.  I only use it for faxing and a few other calls.

Now....when the new one gets here, will it pick up my old number automatically or am i looking at a problem there too?

Really appreciate the help...

Thanks

Sorry to hear that, but you'll be getting a better product (and a warranty) with the 200.

You will need to set it up from scratch, after performing the **5 procedure to add it to your OBiTALK dashboard.

Here are the detailed instructions for getting it to work with Google Voice:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

pecan111

ok,  i will do this when i get the obi..

HOwever i dont see this in instructions. 
Will i be able to keep the same GV number i have had for years?

I really need to, if possible.

thanks

SteveInWA

Read my reply here on the forum, not in your email.  I provided the link to my detailed instructions in that post.

SteveInWA

And, yes, you will be able to use your same Google Voice number.  You are simply replacing one OBi with another, which has nothing to do with the telephone services you use.

pecan111

well, it didnt work that well.
i got GV setup with the phone...but the phone will not ring.  it will go to VM...and NO, your instructions did not work..i had to go and redo a couple of things, but now i have no rining...CHrist, why the hell does this have to be so difificult for ppl. Why do they make it so damn hard. get sick of redoing everythign..

pecan111

and i dont use email on here...i wish you wouldnt assume...it sounds condescending

Never mind..i figured it out...i really wish ppl wouldnt assume things...Its bad enuf having to constantly deal with a ton of diff software that authors want to change all the time, but its really rude to talk down to ppl like we are idiots.  I most def am not !
You might want to think about how your words are coming across prior to posting...i did,...and i want this ot come across as rude.. back at ya.

SteveInWA

Quote from: pecan111 on June 01, 2016, 07:28:30 PM
well, it didnt work that well.
i got GV setup with the phone...but the phone will not ring.  it will go to VM...and NO, your instructions did not work..i had to go and redo a couple of things, but now i have no rining...CHrist, why the hell does this have to be so difificult for ppl. Why do they make it so damn hard. get sick of redoing everythign..

It sounds like you'd be better off with something simpler, like a magicJack.

pecan111

NO,, i have already had MJ and i hated it.

I FIXED it....perhaps you should consider another attitude rather than condescending...Your veiled condemnation of my own intelligence is such a telling attribute.