News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202, as it relates to my laptop wireless connection.

Started by 2ooarmz, May 26, 2016, 11:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2ooarmz

As the Subject line implies, the wireless connection on my Ubuntu laptop has suddenly stopped connecting.  ???

The only thing that has changed is the recently purchased Obi201.  Although, I don't see why that would be the cause of the problem because the laptop should be connecting to our Belkin router. 

Our setup is ....  Comtrend moden > Belkin router > Obi. (Other than the Power, the ports in use on the Obi are just Internet & Phone 1.)

So, is it possible that the Obi202 is causing my wireless connection on my laptop to stop working?  If so, how can I fix it?  If not, I'll just have to figure it out.

Alright, I look forward to your reply.  Thank you!

SteveInWA

No, there is no way that an OBi could kill your WiFi connection, unless you put the OBi directly on top of the WiFi router and it's somehow interfering with the signal.

Why don't you unplug the OBi from power and move it away from the router and see for yourself?

2ooarmz

SteveInWA

So, I'm curious to know if you tried temporarily powering off your OBi and moving it away from the router (if, indeed, it was too close)?

In my own pound-head-on-desk years and years dealing with Debian-based Linux distros, the WiFi support works until some update breaks it, and then you have to spend hours and hours trying to figure out why it broke.

2ooarmz

Yes, but it didn't make a difference.  Upon further inspection, I saw that, for reasons unknown to me, it indicated that it was out of range for the wireless, which was weird because the laptop was only about 30" away from the router! :o

I ended up having to...  
remove the connection (which I had done before)
change the router's ESSID to 'broadcast' (we keep it as 'do not broadcast')
let the laptop find the broadcast

And it connected!

And now that it's back to 'do not broadcast', it is still connecting.  So, for some reason, it was stuck in an out-of-range mode.  But I guess it's happy now.  Thanks for asking.

SteveInWA

Thanks!  Good to know that the OBi isn't causing any RFI issues, not that I expected it would...