News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trying to understand the Google Voice situation...

Started by turnstyle, May 30, 2016, 06:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

Hi all, I've been happily chugging along with my Obi100 + Google Voice for perhaps five years now.

I'm a bit unclear on the recent situation, would somebody kindly help clarify which of these scenarios sums it up?

1) Google changed something about how Google Voice works, such that the Obi needs to be updated to keep working with Google Voice. Obihai decided to start charging for upgrades via what I gather is an annual service plan. imho, I think it's reasonable for Obihai to want to be paid for maintaining the software if Google makes changes -- however, I also think Obihai has done a rather poor job of communicating what's going on -- as it is now, I kind of feel like they took my device "hostage" (even if I would otherwise think it reasonable to pay for an update).

2) or, Obihai effectively 'broke' a working device, and now wants me to pay to make it work again -- if this more accurately describes the situation, that would be pretty bad, imho.

Is one of those a more accurate description? Or is there perhaps a better way to understand what is going on?

Thanks kindly, still trying to figure out what to do.

As it is, I'm suddenly questioning whether Obihai is a straight shooter.

drgeoff

Neither scenario is correct. Nor is it true that you need to pay anything to keep GV working on your OBi100.

There have been umpteen posts on this over the last week. Have you not read them or do you not understand them?

Mango

It's impossible to say whether the problem was Google-caused, Obihai-caused via human error, or Obihai-caused intentionally.  We can speculate that Obihai is preparing to be sold to Google, in danger of going bankrupt so they've laid off most of their staff, or they've simply realized that their users will put up with anything in exchange for free phone service.  However, unless one or the other releases an official statement (and the odds of that happening are all but zero), all we can do is in fact speculate.  One thing you're absolutely correct about is that Obihai's response to the problem blows.  I just checked and OBi-latest.fw is still 2872.  They clearly have no interest in fixing this problem or updating the official firmware thread.

If you haven't already, you can update your firmware manually and avoid the $10 fee: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11256.msg73954#msg73954

turnstyle

Sorry, going back a step, now it seems to be working -- I haven't done anything at my end (no changes to the firmware, or accounts, or anything).

Is it possible this was just a temporary hiccup?

Is there some reason I should be applying that old firmware -- if it is now back to working again?

My recollection is that over the last week or so, it stopped working a few times -- each time I went to Obitalk, and it started working again -- but only the most recent time (I think this past Friday) did I first see the message about having to pay $10.

The sad bit is -- I really wouldn't mind paying something, it has served me well -- but the situation now is somewhat baffling -- I hope they pull it together.

Thanks again...

SteveInWA

Quote from: turnstyle on May 30, 2016, 01:38:41 PM
Sorry, going back a step, now it seems to be working -- I haven't done anything at my end (no changes to the firmware, or accounts, or anything).

Is it possible this was just a temporary hiccup?

Is there some reason I should be applying that old firmware -- if it is now back to working again?

My recollection is that over the last week or so, it stopped working a few times -- each time I went to Obitalk, and it started working again -- but only the most recent time (I think this past Friday) did I first see the message about having to pay $10.

The sad bit is -- I really wouldn't mind paying something, it has served me well -- but the situation now is somewhat baffling -- I hope they pull it together.

Thanks again...

Just do this:

• Download and save the .fw file from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.

turnstyle

Thanks, I very much appreciate these digested instructions.

But if my Obi100+GV back to working (which it seems to be) -- is it still advisable to perform that procedure?

I guess I'm still hoping to understand what the actual situation is.

Also, if the problem is from a recent firmware that was automatically applied, would that mean I also have to prevent the same newer firmware from being re-applied if I apply the older firmware?

SteveInWA

Quote from: turnstyle on May 30, 2016, 03:41:05 PM
Thanks, I very much appreciate these digested instructions.

But if my Obi100+GV back to working (which it seems to be) -- is it still advisable to perform that procedure?

I guess I'm still hoping to understand what the actual situation is.

Also, if the problem is from a recent firmware that was automatically applied, would that mean I also have to prevent the same newer firmware from being re-applied if I apply the older firmware?

The problem was a firmware issue in build 2872 that was fixed in build 2886.  If you upgrade manually to 2886, your device won't fail due to that issue.  Just do it and don't worry about it.

turnstyle

Thanks, very useful -- please forgive one last question: what is the simple way to check the firmware version number as installed right now? (I wonder if perhaps they realized they had made a mistake, and then pushed out 2886)

Thanks again, probably a lot of people asking the same thing, I appreciate your help & patience...

SteveInWA

As far as we know, Obihai has not been automatically pushing out this version (yet).  You need to manually apply it.  If your device already has it, the update will tell you that the upgrade is the same version as the build already installed.  Don't over-think this.  Just do it.

You can easily determine the build installed on your OBi.  Pick up the phone and key in ***0 then 1# and the OBi will read the version and build number to you.

turnstyle

I see -- so I would not be "downgrading" the firmware -- rather, I would be upgrading to a newer version that my Obi isn't automatically retrieving -- is that more like it?

Thanks for the info on how to determine my currently installed version, I'm: 1.3.0.2872

(ps: I'm rooting for Obihai, even though I think the current situation is a bit of a mess)

SteveInWA

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Do the math.  2886 is a higher number than 2872.  It's newer.  It's an upgrade, not a downgrade.  Just do it, for gawd's sake.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 30, 2016, 03:53:09 PM
As far as we know, Obihai has not been automatically pushing out this version (yet).  You need to manually apply it.
I have a second OBi110, obtained last Autumn but not added to my Dashboard until some time in March this year when I put it with an updated configuration in the place of the previous one. (I wanted to be able to easily revert to the previous setup and put the older 110 away in its box.) I don't run GV on the newer 110 but with all the 'excitement' last week I checked (last Thursday I think) what firmware version it is running. I was somewhat surprised to find that it was on 2886 until I noticed that its Auto Firmware Update was set to 'Periodically' even though I configure it via its onboard web GUI.

I hooked up the older 110 again and set its Firmware Update to 'Startup'. Despite several reboots and power cycles it remained on the old firmware. I did a download of 2886 and manual update before putting it away again.

So it would seem that units within the 1 year warranty period are getting automatic updates to 2886, if enabled.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on May 30, 2016, 05:13:41 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 30, 2016, 03:53:09 PM
As far as we know, Obihai has not been automatically pushing out this version (yet).  You need to manually apply it.
I have a second OBi110, obtained last Autumn but not added to my Dashboard until some time in March this year when I put it with an updated configuration in the place of the previous one. (I wanted to be able to easily revert to the previous setup and put the older 110 away in its box.) I don't run GV on the newer 110 but with all the 'excitement' last week I checked (last Thursday I think) what firmware version it is running. I was somewhat surprised to find that it was on 2886 until I noticed that its Auto Firmware Update was set to 'Periodically' even though I configure it via its onboard web GUI.

I hooked up the older 110 again and set its Firmware Update to 'Startup'. Despite several reboots and power cycles it remained on the old firmware. I did a download of 2886 and manual update before putting it away again.

So it would seem that units within the 1 year warranty period are getting automatic updates to 2886, if enabled.

Thanks for testing.  That makes sense, as it's SOP for Obihai firmware updates.

arobatino

I've been getting new firmware notifications via orange triangle for my OBi200 up to and including 5264, even though it's been out of warranty for a year. When I heard on this forum about the 2886 update for my OBi100 (also long out of warranty), I hooked it up and did not get the orange triangle, I had to update it manually.

turnstyle

Unfortunately, I can't seem to log in -- default admin/admin doesn't work -- and the other passwords I might use don't work. (Have other people been reporting the same?)

I expect this means I have to do a hardware reset?

It's been so long since I set this up -- if I do need to reset it, do I need anything other than my Google Voice credentials to get it working again?

And, at that point, should I somehow be "disassociating" it from Obitalk?

Mango

You can factory reset it, and the credentials will be reset to admin/admin.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset

Then, update your firmware as per these instructions: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11256.msg73954#msg73954

Quote from: turnstyle on June 02, 2016, 11:12:24 AMAnd, at that point, should I somehow be "disassociating" it from Obitalk?

You'll remove the device from OBiTALK as part of the reset procedure, then add it back (because that is the only way to configure Google Voice).