News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

WiFi problem w/ 202

Started by rdcny, June 08, 2016, 06:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdcny

Just acquired a 202 with the USB/WiFi dongle. I can do everything in the instructions up to Step 5. At Step 5, the sign in screen for "admin" (username) and "admin" (password) comes up again and again. I have tried turning off my Firewall/Virus Protection (no luck) to putting the 202 in Bridge mode (not a viable solution) to the 202 in Router mode (viable solution)...I simply cannot sign into the 202 using my laptop...I see the WiFi set up on my laptop...can sign in just fine...but keep getting the log-in page on my browser again and again...no matter what combination of username/passwords I use.

Using a Linksys 1900 router attached to an Actiontec modem (Verizon Fios).

Any suggestions?
===============
Step 3* [Can do]: From a WiFi enabled device, e.g. computer, tablet or smart phone, open its network settings and connect to a WiFi network called "OBiWiFi_Setup." Your browser-equipped device will automatically connect to the OBiWiFi_Setup network.

Step 4 [No problem]: Wait 30 seconds. Then, open a browser window and visit http://192.168.10.1/wifi or try http://obiconnect.com/wifi.

When prompted, enter a username and password to access the configuration webpage.

The default username is: admin
The default password is: admin

Step 5 [Problem! I get this screen again and again]: Next, you will see a screen allowing you to select your WiFi Network Name (SSID) from a drop down list and (if necessary), a WiFi Network Password.

SteveInWA

Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***8, then 1 to factory reset it.

Temporarily connect the OBi's WAN Ethernet port to your router with an Ethernet cable.

Log into the OBiTALK dashboard (set up an account if you haven't already done so).  Follow the instructions on the screen to add your OBi 202, by keying in **5, etc.

After the OBi is added, click on it to configure it.  Get into the Expert Configuration mode.

Click on OBiWiFi Configuration-->WiFi Settings

Edit Access Point 1 settings to add your WiFi networks' SSID and password.  You will need to remove BOTH check marks to the right of the settings to be able to edit them.

Scroll wayyyyy down to the bottom of the page and click the Submit button and wait for the device to reboot.  It should now be able to connect via your WiFi network after you remove the Ethernet cable.

rdcny

The 202 has a:

LAN connection
Internet connection

I'll assume you mean to connect the OBI to the Router via the Internet to WAN connection via an Ethernet cable

SteveInWA

WAN, or Wide-Area Network, is the old-school term for "The thing you connect your outside network to".

So, yes, the Internet.

rdcny

Ok Thank You! Up and running 100% functional.

Part of the problem (and resulting skepticism about directions from here on the forum or anything from ObiHai) is that in the printed and on-line versions of the set-up for the 202, there are broken links...and information that is incomplete - or one finds out that info has been updated. ObiHai has to do a better job in keeping the installation instructions updated.

I actually had figured out to do what you told me to do...and as I perused the previous 25 pages of so of questions (and looked on Amazon.com for comments from users), I see the problem I describe as occurring not infrequently. One person on Amazon.com even describes the fix he received directly from tech support (via phone) - that is how I tried that fix. BUT no where does he (or ObiHai) mention to reset the phone for the "fix" to be uploaded to the firmware so that the USB WiFi dongle functions properly...

A couple of questions, on my ObiHai Dashboard under WiFi settings, the first (at the top) box asks me for"

Basic Settings and then VALUE option for both below

Enable [should I check this box or not? OR should I check the box Obitalk settings?]            
Preferred Access Point [should it be NONE; OR Access Point 1; OR should I check the box Obitalk settings?

Finally, in the section SYSTEM STATUS and then OBiBT Dongle Status, I see:

Parameter Name: Dongle

If the USB Dongle is present and working correctly, why does the Status read as "No Dongle?"
--------------
Finally, is there anything I need to do to make sure no one else from a different Network sees my 202 on my Network anywhere? I ask because when I was trying to sign into the 202 to set up WiFi, the WiFi set_up was broadcast and visible to everyone. Thankfully, today once the 202 is now a WiFi item on my system and everything is working 100%, I can no longer see the "WiFi set_up" or the option to connect to it. I am going to assume this is true for everyone else in my neighborhood as well?

Thank You,

Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

rdcny

Here is the comment from Amazon.com on how to solve the problem - but no mention is made to re-set the 202 to factory defaults via the phone:

Challeneging setup

ByPete Crozieron May 11, 2016
Verified Purchase

Considering how easy setting up the OBi200 was I was surprised how hard it was to configure the OBiWiFi, although in the end I got it working.

The setup instructions look straight forward with three easy steps - plug device into your OBiHai box, connect to the ObiWiFi's own hot spot, log in to the OBiWiFi and configure it to connect to your home wireless access point.

My install went sideways after logging on to the OBiWiFi at which point it no longer was visible as an access point with no obvious way of configuring it. OBiHai does not have phone support, but I submitted a ticket (get your OBiHai number for the device from your OBiTalk account) and they responded within an hour with questions about my set up and the SSID and password of the access point I wanted to connect to and they configured and connected the OBiWiFi for me.

Being a geek I wanted to know what they did so I could do it myself in the future, and this is what they emailed back:

There is a simple way of configuring your OBiwifi.

With the OBiwifi inserted to the USB port (with blue light blinking inside), and also the OBi200 connected via ethernet cable to the router, please login to your obitalk.com account, and click on your OBI number to device configuration page.

Click on OBi Expert Configuration (on the bottom of the device config page)

Click on Enter OBi Expert

Click on OBiwifi configuration (wifi setting)

Uncheck both square boxes on the right side of the SSID and password, and enter your Wifi SSID and wifi password in the respective fields, and then hit "Submit" at the bottom of the page. Note that the SSID is case sensitive

Wait for a minute or so, and the status page will show whether the OBi gets an IP address from the wifi router, and if yes, then you can unplug the Ethernet cable and you should be able to make calls via wifi.

rdcny

Finally, one comment about ObiHai tech support via their web set: THEY ARE USELESS

Tech support should be ashamed...I sent an inquiry to that department via the web portal (through a web ticket). It took them 72 hrs to respond - and the info they provided was a basic stock answer to my question on how to resolve the issue above. It had no useful info.

I re-submitted another question...and after another three days, I am still waiting to hear back from them - no response.

Personally, to say that technical support at ObiHai is a disaster would be a kind way of expressing my total lack of respect for that technical support group.

drgeoff

I'll address only one point.  When configured to connect to your Wi-Fi AP/router the OBi ATA and OBi Wi-Fi combination no longer is in Access Point mode.  It is in Station mode, just the same as your laptop and all your other Wi-Fi gizmos that are connected to your AP/router.  It is no more of a Wi-Fi security risk than they are.

SteveInWA

And, I'll address another point:

You asked how to solve the problem.  I gave you the answer.  You then questioned my use of the term "WAN", and I answered what you probably already knew or could have looked up in 10 seconds of searching.  You then said, essentially, "nah nah, I figured it out myself", and went on a three-post rant about Obihai's support.

This is a mainly volunteer supported forum.  We're here to help.  We don't need a lecture.

tzensen

What worked for me.   
1. Plug in Wifi adaptor
2. Reset Obihai OBi202 - Reset/Restore Factory Defaults
Be sure your analogue telephone is plugged into one of the rear-panel telephone RJ-11 jacks.
Take the phone off-hook and press the star key three times followed by the number 8; i.e. * * * 8.
Next, the IVR response will ask you to press 1 to confirm.
You will see the Power LED Flash Red for about 5 seconds.
3. Connect to Wireless Setup as per instructions. If you dont see it run *27 from phone plugged into obi.
4. connect to 192.168.10.1/wif
5.You should now see the web page and be able to enter your wireless connection information
The obi device is slow so always give it at least 1-3 minutes for it to show up/connect to web.

You know its connected when the green light goes from blinking to steady green.