News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No PSTN echo (SP1, SP2 echo OK)

Started by Nearsighted, July 07, 2011, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nearsighted

**9222-222-2222 echo test works.
**2909-390-0003 echo test works.
**1909-390-0003 echo test worked (till I added GV pins... another story).
1909-390-0003 echo test answers, but does not echo.

Any help is appreciated.

RonR

Do all PSTN calls have one-way or no-way audio?

What happens if you dial #, wait for dialtone, followed by the echo test number?

What happens if you remove power from the OBi and dial the echo test number?

Nearsighted

OBI-Attached Phone (obi-1) to Cell
First word could be heard on both. After that:
+ can hear obi-1 voice at cell
+ cannot hear cell voice at obi-1

Dialing Test Number
#-dial tone: 1-909-390-0003 no ring, dead air
Disconnect OBI
dial tone:  1-909-390-0003 no ring, dead air

Dial Cell After Disconnect OBI
+ works normally

RonR

Have you tried a different telephone connected to the OBi?

With no power applied to the OBi, the OBi's PHONE Port and LINE Port are connected directly together via a fail-safe relay and should be the same as plugging the telephone directly into the PSTN line with no OBi in the picture.

Nearsighted

POTS-to-Line (100% OBI bypass)
dial tone:  1-909-390-0003 no ring, dead air

POTS-to-Cell
works normally

POTS-to-POTS
works normally

RonR

I don't understand your last post.

Nearsighted

Replacement phone responded same way to echo test when using #, with OBI off, and with OBI completely removed from line.

However, replacement phone-to-phone works normally, except for feedback and audio artifacts... but it's an old phone.

Nearsighted

...that is, replacement phone-to-phone audio is m/o/l normal, traversing non-powered OBI, powered OBI and no OBI.

LeftRight

If you cannot get PSTN echo on both "non-powered OBi" and "no OBi", then, it is very likely a problem with your PSTN line, or the phone.

Also, # + dial tone + powered OBi --> diagonse whether OBi has the connection issue with your PSTN line and phone, there is no much involvement from OBi that affects audio quality.

Nearsighted

PSTN conversations are possible with both phones when connected directly to telco line. I lose the main phone only when running PSTN thru OBI. I'm thinking that, if audio works on the old phone, something may be tweaked upward to make audio hearable for the Panasonics.

The echo question came up when trying to bring up the system. Is it crucial to steady operation?

Nearsighted

Issue: Calling the echo test (**2909-390-0003) via PSTN yielded no response... just dead air.
Solution: Don't call a voip line from a naked landline expecting a response.

Your help was much appreciated, as you forced me to think critically. I fixed my other issues in the process...