News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100's disabled until you shell out $10!

Started by kealolo, June 14, 2016, 01:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kealolo

Well say, that was a surprise. Both our Obi100-connected google voice numbers stopped working today, with a "backing off" message in the obitalk control panel.

Turns out that AFTER you poke around, you need to pay an extra $10 per device through amazon for a "support update" which will allow you to keep using GV.

Now I don't begrudge Obihai ten bucks a year, but it would have been NICE to have that emailed to us IN ADVANCE rather than missing all calls this morning and having to discover by trial and error that we were being held up for ten bucks per account before they'd start working again.

It worked. No question. Once we paid up, both started working again. One wonders to what extent this business model will be ramped up as Obihai continues to capitalize on Google's free services. If they do too much of it, it might cause a sour taste in Google's mouth, and the goose might stop laying golden eggs.

Next time, Obihai, just be upfront and honest please. You have a good product, why mistreat loyal customers?  I'd have rather paid twice the amount without the 45 minutes of panic trying to discover why things didn't work.

hapollo

Were you running FW 2872? Other reports say if you manually updated to 2886, the $10 ransomware goes away and works as normal.

Today seems to be the day all my OBI started Backing Off as they roll out or finally disabled something.

Since I've been a OAuth2 holdout, I'm currently researching the ramifications of upgrading as there is no going back to Pre-Oauth2 once I upgrade. Call still come in and can call out using Hangouts for now.

kealolo

Not sure what I was running... whatever it had upgraded to automatically over the years and months. Wish I had known about the "manual update" but there was no visible way to update anything from the dashboard or its deeper levels, and I had always done the updates that showed up there as recommended.

"Ransomware" is a good word I hadn't heard before. Methinks I'll go use it on an Obi review at Amazon.

Again, I have no problem with the $10, it's the way I had to find it out. Kinda sleazy feel to it.

best

kealolo

CHECK OUT THE THREAD by hapollo today who claims you can get around the ransomware. 

notconfident

Updating to build 2886 has not worked for me. I am still searching for solutions. :(

SteveInWA

Quote from: notconfident on June 14, 2016, 08:14:04 PM
Updating to build 2886 has not worked for me. I am still searching for solutions. :(

• Download and save the .fw file from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
  • Although the filename includes "OBi110", it is also valid for OBi100 devices.
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.
  • You may need to re-authorize your device to use your Google account after this procedure.  To do that, first, be sure that you are logged into the correct Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number.  Then, open another web browser tab, and log into to the OBiTALK dashboard, click on your device, then click on the Service Provider (SP1 or SP2) that is using Google Voice.  Click "Accept" at the prompt.  On the window that will open, click the link to "Replace Google account credentials" and follow the instructions.

notconfident

For some reason, I am not able to do the last step. Any attempt to reconfigure for Google Voice just takes me in circles back to the tab that says I need to pay $10.

SteveInWA

Quote from: notconfident on June 14, 2016, 08:28:04 PM
For some reason, I am not able to do the last step. Any attempt to reconfigure for Google Voice just takes me in circles back to the tab that says I need to pay $10.

I responded to your issue in another thread.  You must start over from scratch.  Factory reset your OBi:  pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***8 then 1 to restore it to factory defaults.  Wait for it to completely finish rebooting.  Pick up the phone again and key in ***0 then 1# to hear the installed firmware build.  If it doesn't say 2886, then you haven't successfully followed the instructions to upgrade the device.

After your device is reset and at build 2886, follow my entire set of instructions on this page (but, of course, omit any steps referencing the firmware upgrade which you just performed):

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

ja_ys

yeah  >:( !! what do we do ? Is this $10. legitimate or is it ransom ware ? Who is collecting the money? Anybody know?

Read a few posts and the firmware update worked fine and am back to normal again ...great posts Thanks !! :) :) :)

MikeinFL

Happened to me today with my Obi100, over 1 year of almost flawless use then it stops working and asks for $10.  I'm still on 1.3.0 and found the threads about upgrading firmware.  But it starting working again after a few hours.  All I did was look at settings but didn't change anything or install the new firmware.  Right now it's working ok.

SteveInWA

Quote from: MikeinFL on June 15, 2016, 06:43:26 PM
Happened to me today with my Obi100, over 1 year of almost flawless use then it stops working and asks for $10.  I'm still on 1.3.0 and found the threads about upgrading firmware.  But it starting working again after a few hours.  All I did was look at settings but didn't change anything or install the new firmware.  Right now it's working ok.

Simply follow the instructions to ensure that you will continue to be able to use your OBi with Google Voice:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11350.msg74706#msg74706

rmwc

Worked for me!  I don't know how long my Obi100 hasn't been working with GV, but now it is! Thanks for this update!

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 14, 2016, 08:20:31 PM

• Download and save the .fw file from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
  • Although the filename includes "OBi110", it is also valid for OBi100 devices.
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.
  • You may need to re-authorize your device to use your Google account after this procedure.  To do that, first, be sure that you are logged into the correct Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number.  Then, open another web browser tab, and log into to the OBiTALK dashboard, click on your device, then click on the Service Provider (SP1 or SP2) that is using Google Voice.  Click "Accept" at the prompt.  On the window that will open, click the link to "Replace Google account credentials" and follow the instructions.

rectifier

My Obi 100 won't do anything after updating the firmware.  It just flashes red and green alternately.  It lets me into the firmware update page and appears to apply the update (over and over); but still goes back to flashing red and green.  Any Ideas?

SteveInWA

Quote from: rectifier on August 10, 2016, 04:35:42 PM
My Obi 100 won't do anything after updating the firmware.  It just flashes red and green alternately.  It lets me into the firmware update page and appears to apply the update (over and over); but still goes back to flashing red and green.  Any Ideas?

Try this last-ditch effort:  unplug the OBi from power and Ethernet.  This may take 3 hands, if you have dexterity challenges, but, using a straightened paper clip, gently press the recessed reset button on the bottom side of the OBi until you feel a click, and then hold down the button while plugging in the power connector.  Keep holding it down for at least 10 seconds until the power light starts flashing, then release the button.  Wait and see if the unit will perform a factory reset and eventually stop blinking.  If so, great.  If it still flashes alternating red and green, and you can't re-write the firmware to the unit, then it's dead.    It's been suggested that you try swapping its power adapter for any other power adapter you may have on hand with the same voltage and current rating.  If you have one, fine; do that, but I haven't seen that action fix this symptom.