News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi110 not listening on port 80 for web admin

Started by uid65535, June 15, 2016, 05:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uid65535

I have an original first-generation Obi110 which was in cold storage for several years.  Previously it was used solely as FXS/FXO for a popular softpbx, which means that:

(a) It has never actually been connected to the internet (at least, not directly).

(b) Its networking parameters were a bit odd:  It was configured on a /31 subnet, with the server running the softpbx (and ntpd) as the other host on that net.

(c) I really wish I could have saved the settings I had used.  It took a huge time investment to get it working as my FXS/FXO, about five years ago.  I did not post in the forum; now I see others are asking the same question.  And it worked perfectly for that purpose!

Subsequently it was lovingly packed, padded and wrapped in plastic in a clean, dry container.

Today I needed to make it work in a hurry, with very different settings... and I can't get into the web admin panel!  tcp/80 just times out.  I tried:

1. Tinkering with my firewall on the connecting computer.  I wasted hours thinking I was stupid enough to drop my own packets, before I realized the packets are actually going out on the ethernet interface.

2. Running tcpdump on the ether, which just shows my browser's outgoing SYN (no ACK, nothing else) on tcp/80.  On other ports tcp/udp, it also showed the OBi actively trying to register with the softpbx, get ntp update, and send syslog messages (which I actually read).

3. Poking at it with netcat and tcpdump from a different computer running a different operating system.

4. Portscanning it, to see if I changed the web admin port.  The pdf admin manual (OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf) shows a setting for "Web Server Port Number" on page 91.

5. Plugging in a phone, pressing ***, and trying to find a setting for web server port.  The manual does not list one.  I also wasted fifteen minutes blindly trying to find an undocumented setting under option 0.

6. Gritting my teeth and factory-resetting the device.  Bye-bye working FXS/FXO!  I don't even remember whether I backed up the config somewhere.

7. Registering for Obitalk (which I do not want) so I can get into this forum!

Even after factory reset, connections to tcp/80 disappear into a black hole.

By the way, after factory reset, setting up the IP address, subnet mask, and default route through the telephone menu was a bit flaky.  Hard power-cycling the device made it accept the settings.  Then... nothing!

FWIW this device has its original firmware, from the era when the Obi110 was first released.  I am not interested in updating the firmware with unverified/unsigned binaries.  But it is a moot point, because I *cannot* update the firmware when I cannot get into the web admin interface.

Specific question:

* Is there a menu option through the *** telephone menu for the web server port?

General question:

* Help!  I don't even know what to do next to troubleshoot this thing; and I have already wasted all day on it.

Ok, that is not a question.  But you understand my frustration. ;-)

Thanks for any tips.

drgeoff

If you are really convinced you have done a factory reset and still cannot access the device on port 80 there is another approach you can try.

You already have an account here on the Obitalk portal.  Try to add the device to your Dashboard.  (The procedure where you dial **5xxxx where x is the 4 digit number the portal gives you.)  If that succeeds you can use the Expert Mode to see/or modify almost all the settings.  The IP settings and the web server port are among those.

SteveInWA

* Is there a menu option through the *** telephone menu for the web server port?

You are making this much harder than it would be, if you would just factory reset the device, allow it to get a dynamic IP address from a DHCP server, and then log into it.

• Pick up the phone attached to the OBi.  Key in ***8 then 1 to factory-reset it.  Wait for it to reboot.
  • Pick up the phone again and key in ***1 to hear the IP address that the device obtained from the DHCP server.
  • Enter that address in your web browser and voila, you are at the login screen.  The default login is admin/admin.

There have been many bug fixes and enhancements since the very, very old firmware your device came with.  Just download the firmware from Obihai and update it.  Nobody has ever gotten any sort of malware-infested file; there is no need to worry about digital signatures; you are downloading it directly from the manufacturer's firmware server. 

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw