News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Minecraft Server through pre-router OBi202

Started by yaytech, June 17, 2016, 12:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaytech

I'm using the OBi202 with Google Voice. I've found I have to set it up between the modem and the router to get reliable call quality, but when I set it up that way, my Minecraft server is no longer able to be connected to from outside the local LAN. How do I let access (port 25565) through?

drgeoff

Set up port forwarding on the OBi202, just as you would do with any router.

http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide#_Toc367543071

Depending on how you normally configure your 202, you'll need to use the Portal's Expert mode or the 202's onboard web GUI.

yaytech

Thanks, somehow I'd never come across instructions for logging into the Obi box itself, always the website interface. Now I just need to figure out port forwarding to the main router that's after the Obi. Never forwarded to a router before, always to a device on the same router.

yaytech

Got it! Couldn't find something to show devices on the network (though I have since, under LAN status), but saw that the ClientAddressRangeStart was set to xxx.xxx.xxx.100 under LAN settings, so I figured the only device connected (the 2nd router) was probably set to xxx.xxx.xxx.100, and it was.

Thanks!

drgeoff

1.  It is better not to have two routers in series.  If you must have the OBi as a router, then do not use the WAN port of the second router.  Connect the LAN port of the 202 to a LAN port on the other router.  The other router will then act merely as an ethernet switch and, if applicable, a Wi-Fi Access Point.  The firewall and port forwarding settings on that router will have no effect as those affect only packets crossing its WAN-LAN boundary.  As its WAN port is not connected there are no such packets.

2.  If your other router has QoS and if you really need QoS on your network to get satisfactory VoIP then I would use that router and configure its QoS settings.  Connect it to your internet modem and put the 202 on one of that router's LAN ports.  Then I would put the 202 into bridge mode so that it functions as switch rather than a router.

3.  Beware that you must do all OBi configuration by one method.  Either locally or via the portal. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.msg109#msg109