News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Tutorial: Setup with Google Voice and Callcentric for Caller Id Name and e911

Started by dwestall, June 22, 2016, 07:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate

They are being forwarded to call centric as I said but when my phone rings it says unknown number.

Taoman

Quote from: Kate on October 08, 2019, 09:06:53 PM
They are being forwarded to call centric as I said but when my phone rings it says unknown number.

What does your Callcentric phone history say? When a call comes in that says "unknown" what does it say in your Callcentric call history report?

chilirock

Quote from: ThomasL on September 18, 2019, 12:15:51 PM
Need some help...

Here is the issue:  My test call (Step 8 ) went into a message after 1 ring.  The setup at Callcentric is supposed to send calls to voice mail after 25 seconds (5-6 rings).   I do not have any call treatments in Callcentric.  

The call was received according to Callcentric call history as well as Google Voice call history.  

I am having the same issue. For me, when I call my GV number, sometimes I hear ringback tones, but the Obi doesn't ring, or rings only once or twice before going to GV voicemail. Many of our calls are not ringing through and going to Google voicemail, even though they show up on the CC call log. It seems to have started around the same time as ThomasL's post above.

I created a similar post here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=16253.0. I have had GV->CC setup for CNAM and e911 for more than three years. I prefer to have GV forward to CC to get the Caller Name information that Google Voice doesn't provide. In general it has been working well, with only one time (Feb 2017) where I recall having a similar issue with delays in the phone ringing.

I contacted CallCentric and provided the timestamp of a couple of test calls. They told me that for one of the calls where I didn't hear the phone ring (GV->CC), that the Obi did not respond to the "invite". When I called the CC number directly a minute or so later, the phone rang, although with some really strange sounding ringback tone patterns. I then called the GV number again (GV->CC) a minute or so later and the phone rang.

It's almost like calling the CallCentric number directly woke up the Obi to allow it to respond. I have been on 5921EX for several months now. Nothing else has changed in my network recently other than the firmware on my router that was updated, but that occurred a couple of months before the phone issues started.

Any ideas of things to check or test would be appreciated.

Kate

I checked the Call Centric logs and the calls are going to my Google voice number. The only thing I noticed and I hope this can provide some insight innate the problem. When I uncheck the Obi device in the dashboard my home phone will not ring . When I check it again the phone will ring

Taoman

Quote from: Kate on October 09, 2019, 04:41:06 PM
I checked the Call Centric logs and the calls are going to my Google voice number. The only thing I noticed
You didn't notice the CNAM (name of calling party) underneath the calling number in the column titled Calling #?

Quote from: KateWhen I uncheck the Obi device in the dashboard my home phone will not ring . When I check it again the phone will ring

In the OBiTALK dashboard, does your Callcentric line (I assume on SP2?) say "Registered" under the Status column?

What happens when you call your Callcentric number directly?

Kate

ou didn't notice the CNAM (name of calling party) underneath the calling number in the column titled Calling #?

It shows the name of the party calling me!

Yes it says registered in the dashboard!

When I call the call centric it did ring my google number. Now when I try it form my two cells phones the google voice number does not ring

Taoman

Quote from: Kate on October 10, 2019, 12:17:53 PM

When I call the call centric it did ring my google number.

That doesn't make sense to me. If you are calling your Callcentric number directly it should ring your Callcentric configuration (SP2?) on your OBi device........none of which has anything to do with Google Voice.

Google Voice only comes into play when your GV number is called and it is forwarded to your Callcentric number. Right now you're testing calling your Callcentric number directly which bypasses Google Voice entirely.
If possible, have a friend call your Callcentric number directly and post what happens.

Kate

Just called my call centric number and now the calls go thru to my home phone ! Calls did to go thru before . Maybe Call Centric does not have their act together!

dircom

Is CNAM via forwarding GV to CallCentric still working A-OK?  My Vestalink subscription is about to renew, and although there are a lot of features, and it is inexpensive, it's kind of a ghost operation.
Also is the call quality good?
TIA

Taoman

Quote from: dircom on January 25, 2020, 12:08:57 PM
Is CNAM via forwarding GV to CallCentric still working A-OK?  My Vestalink subscription is about to renew, and although there are a lot of features, and it is inexpensive, it's kind of a ghost operation.
Also is the call quality good?
TIA

Yes and yes.

I'm amazed you're still with Vestalink. Can you even contact or get any kind of tech support with them these days?

dircom

It is hard to get a response from VL, but I did contact them a couple of weeks ago to see how long they were going to be around. "We will be in business for at least 5 more years.  Thank you!"

The service is three dollars and change per month, no problems really with the service other than the static on calls after many minutes, but that problem seems to be happening with both VL and GV calls.  They did get rid of the ability to text and fax two or three years ago.  I also have a problem of occasional Can't be Heard at times which is really annoying.
I got a 2182 a couple days ago.  I'll see if that makes any difference.

vintagemoment

A big thank you for the Tutorial. Very helpful.

Here is the way I have mine setup. A cheap 6.0 cordless phone.

The device is Obi200. Was easy to setup.

SP1 is setup to Google Voice. Inbound and outbound calls will be done with this. Test calls have been made and all works well so far :)

SP2 is setup for Callcentric, specifically so I could have a 911 option besides my cell phone.

For Callcentric, I bought the $1 DID then ordered the North America Basic plan with 120 outbound minutes. Couldn't find anything to pay for just 911 service. Comes to $3/month, still a small price to pay.

Wanted to make sure the correct address would be given in case of emergency, so a test call to 933 was made. Information was accurate.

There was a step in the tutorial that I did not follow though.

That was Step #7. Is this step really needed? What is the purpose of it?

dircom

you missed the part in the thread which is underlined below.
Tutorial: Setup with Google Voice and Callcentric for Caller Id Name and e911

you have to fwd your GV calls to Callcentric in order to get Caller Id Name

vintagemoment

I didn't miss a step, I skipped a step :)

If you aren't worried about CNAM, than there is no need to do this step.

ITGrouch

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 18, 2019, 05:30:57 PM
Those instructions are old, and outdated, so I am not sure that you have an actual problem, or if you are simply experiencing an expected failure.

Big picture:  you need to accomplish these steps, in order:

• Add an OBiTALK device to your OBiTALK device configuration portal:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev
  • Follow the prompts to configure Google Voice on that device's SP1
  • You should now be able to make outbound calls and receive inbound calls using that Google Voice phone number and your OBiTALK device.  Does that work?  If not, don't proceed with any further steps.
  • If it does work then obtain a phone number from Callcentric and then follow the steps to add it as SP2 on your OBiTALK dashboard
  • Next, add that phone number to your Google Voice configuration page and remove the check mark to the left of the "OBiTALK Device" entry.  The goal here is to forward inbound calls to the Callcentric phone number instead of to the OBiTALK SIP client.
  • Test it.

I used your more concise instructions and everything works just fine. I went one step further. I set SP1 to ring when calls are transferred from Google Voice to Callcentric, which is set up on SP2.

SteveInWA

Actually, I posted a complete and up-to-date set of instructions to use Google Voice with Callcentric, here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=17024

Gladpants

Quote from: dwestall on June 22, 2016, 07:36:41 AM
I wrote these instructions to help a friend and thought I'd share in case others might benefit. Some of this came from a post by @SteveInWA.

UPDATE 2019-09-08: Callcentric's previously "Free Phone Number" is now "Dollar Unlimited Phone Number" and costs $1/mo.

Google Voice provides free, unlimited calling, but does not support 911 or Caller Id Name. With this setup, calls coming into to your Google Voice number forward to your Callcentric number and then to the OBi to get Caller Id Name. Outbound 911 calls go through Callcentric, all other calls use Google Voice. You pay $1/mo (for phone number) + $1.50/mo (for 911 service) to Callcentric.

• 1. Sign up for Google Voice, OBiTalk, and configure Google Voice on the OBi - http://www.obihai.com/tutorial1
  • 2. Update the OBi firmware - From the OBi-attached phone, dial ***6, 1  NOTE: In some cases, you may need to reconfigure Google Voice after updating the firmware
  • 3. Make a test call from a different phone to your Google Voice number to confirm the OBi-attached phone rings
  • 4. Sign up for Callcentric's "Free Phone Number" (no longer Free, now $1/mo + $1.50/mo for optional 911 service) - http://www.callcentric.com/did/. The phone number you get will likely be a NY number, don't worry, it's only used for forwarding and doesn't need to be given out to callers. Enable CNAM - http://www.callcentric.com/faq/31#219
  • 5. Configure Callcentric on the OBi - Log onto OBiTALK portal (http://www.obitalk.com/), click on the OBi device, add service provider (e.g. SP2), scroll to the bottom and select "OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers", select "Callcentric", enter your Callcentric account number and password, enable for 911
  • 6. Make a test call from a different phone to your Callcentric number to confirm the OBi-attached phone rings
  • 7. Configure Google Voice to forward calls to your new Callcentric phone number - Log into your Google Voice account (http://voice.google.com/), and on the Settings page, add and verify your Callcentric phone (not account) number as a forwarding phone, place a check mark next to it and remove the check mark next to Google Chat
  • 8. Make a test call from a different phone to your Google Voice number to confirm the OBi-attached phone rings, and Caller Id Name works

NOTES:

Just wanted to note that today I noticed that Google has stated they will no longer support messages forwarded to linked numbers. I don't know if that will impact the voice feature or not.

drgeoff

Quote from: Gladpants on March 26, 2021, 07:45:28 AM
Just wanted to note that today I noticed that Google has stated they will no longer support messages forwarded to linked numbers. I don't know if that will impact the voice feature or not.
You are late to the party.  :)

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=18065.0