News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Tutorial: Setup with Google Voice and Callcentric for Caller Id Name and e911

Started by dwestall, June 22, 2016, 07:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

Quote from: Mrkeja on February 17, 2018, 08:20:01 PM
Thanks for this tutorial.  I did all 8 steps and it works.  I did notice my incoming call ring is a double ring instead of ring profile type 1(single ring).  I went into the expert settings and made sure the ring type is 1 for both sp1(GV), and sp2(call centric).  Is there a way to get all my incoming calls on obi200 to ring single ring type 1 again?
Check that the RingProfile is set to A.

Mrkeja

Yes that fixed it!
The SP2 ring profile was set default to B.
I set it to A and now it's back to the normal ring!

Thanks so much!

GaryYang

These are really helpful posts, especially the tutorial from Dwestall. I was able to follow it and set up Callcentric E911 service with my ObiTalk 200. My SP1 is GV. Now when I call 933 to verify the service, the voice echoes my address correctly. But it tells me that I called from 1-631-909-****. I don't recognize this number. It's neither my GV number, nor CC number. However, when I call this number from another phone, the phone connected to ObiTalk rings. I expect it tells me that I called from my GV number.

Do any one know what this 1-631-909-**** number is? Is this expected or have I missed any setting?

Thank you in advance.

drgeoff

Quote from: GaryYang on March 06, 2018, 10:05:42 AM
These are really helpful posts, especially the tutorial from Dwestall. I was able to follow it and set up Callcentric E911 service with my ObiTalk 200. My SP1 is GV. Now when I call 933 to verify the service, the voice echoes my address correctly. But it tells me that I called from 1-631-909-****. I don't recognize this number. It's neither my GV number, nor CC number. However, when I call this number from another phone, the phone connected to ObiTalk rings. I expect it tells me that I called from my GV number.

Do any one know what this 1-631-909-**** number is? Is this expected or have I missed any setting?

Thank you in advance.
Read the question by LAZARUS and the answer with explanation by SteveInWA. https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5109.msg84944#msg84944

GaryYang

Thanks a lot drgeoff!!! I answered my question. I responded with a follow-up question as shown here:

"I am using Callcentric's E911 + GV. I noticed that the number read out by 933 test is not always reachable. It's only reachable for a while after I call 933. Do you know how long it remains reachable after 911 call? This is important too."

Do you know the duration that the call back number remains available?

SteveInWA

kealolo

I've just tried this, seems like the monthly cost will be at least $2.50 now since apparently they no longer give out a free number. Wish I'd known that before paying to set up the account, which is why I'm posting it here...

best

SteveInWA

You don't need the inbound number, as long as you can skip CNAM.  Just pay for the E911.  And, seriously, is $1.50 per month too much to afford? 

kealolo

Hi. I just discovered that on my own, after hours of poking around and a service ticket with callcentric, and was coming back here to correct my post.

The reason I THOUGHT it was necessary to have a number are the steps 7 and 8 in your otherwise-excellent tutorial, which specifically talk about needing to enter and test it. Might want to edit that so other newbies - people who have no idea what a CNAM is - don't make the same conceptual error.

My E911 is now working, and - as you say - a good deal at $1.50/mo

thanks

KaiKaze

Quote from: kealolo on January 06, 2019, 01:00:55 PM
Hi. I just discovered that on my own, after hours of poking around and a service ticket with callcentric, and was coming back here to correct my post.

The reason I THOUGHT it was necessary to have a number are the steps 7 and 8 in your otherwise-excellent tutorial, which specifically talk about needing to enter and test it. Might want to edit that so other newbies - people who have no idea what a CNAM is - don't make the same conceptual error.

My E911 is now working, and - as you say - a good deal at $1.50/mo

thanks

I have been searching for this exact situation on the web.  I am planning to pull the trigger on getting obihai and callcentric but since they don't have the free number anymore all i saw was the plans they have which i thought i would have to fork out $3 a month.

I have no idea what CNAM is but i am going to look into it now. I just want to make it clear that once i purchase and setup my obihai with google voice, there will be an option for me to select $1.50 a month just for e911?  I am registered on callcentric right now and I cant seem to find this pricing anywhere lol.

I am wrong, could you assist me on what exactly to do to get that pricing just for e911? 

Thank you

SteveInWA

Callcentric's website is confusing at first.  They sell inbound calling and outbound calling separately.  Since 911 service is outbound, you need to sign up for outbound calling at the per-minute (pay as you go) rate.  Once you do that, you can select 911 service for $1.50/month.

KaiKaze

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 13, 2019, 01:21:27 PM
Callcentric's website is confusing at first.  They sell inbound calling and outbound calling separately.  Since 911 service is outbound, you need to sign up for outbound calling at the per-minute (pay as you go) rate.  Once you do that, you can select 911 service for $1.50/month.

Thank you for clarifying that.   Do you know why its asking to add funds to balance when i select pay per use?  it automatically sets it to $5.  im assuming this balance would be used for the 911 fee?  Thank you

SteveInWA

They don't offer "use first; pay later".  It's prepaid, just like a prepaid cell phone plan.  Yes, the funds will pay all CC costs/fees.

ThomasL

Need some help...

I followed the updated step-by-step instruction by dwestall (the very first post in this thread) to set up my obi200 with Google Voice and Callcentric.  Along the process, test calls (step #3 and #6) per dwestall's recommendation were made successfully.  Then I added Callcentric phone number into GV (step 7) for forwarding.  I could not find any box for Google Chat as mentioned, however.  

Here is the issue:  My test call (Step 8 ) went into a message after 1 ring.  The setup at Callcentric is supposed to send calls to voice mail after 25 seconds (5-6 rings).   I do not have any call treatments in Callcentric.  

The call was received according to Callcentric call history as well as Google Voice call history.  

I would appreciate experts' insight to solve this puzzle.  Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

Those instructions are old, and outdated, so I am not sure that you have an actual problem, or if you are simply experiencing an expected failure.

Big picture:  you need to accomplish these steps, in order:

• Add an OBiTALK device to your OBiTALK device configuration portal:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev
  • Follow the prompts to configure Google Voice on that device's SP1
  • You should now be able to make outbound calls and receive inbound calls using that Google Voice phone number and your OBiTALK device.  Does that work?  If not, don't proceed with any further steps.
  • If it does work then obtain a phone number from Callcentric and then follow the steps to add it as SP2 on your OBiTALK dashboard
  • Next, add that phone number to your Google Voice configuration page and remove the check mark to the left of the "OBiTALK Device" entry.  The goal here is to forward inbound calls to the Callcentric phone number instead of to the OBiTALK SIP client.
  • Test it.

ThomasL

Hi, SteveInWA - 

Thank you very much for responding to my message.  Of the steps you suggested, bullets 1 through 5 were performed previously with successful test calls.  The Callcentric phone number was added to GV as a linked number.  Based on your Bullet 6, I just now unchecked the box to the left of the "OBiTALK Device" via the legacy GV setting.   

Then, I made a test call to the GV phone number.  Still, it went to the voice message after 1 ring.  Call history of both GV and Callcentric did log in the incoming call. 

Would appreciate any further advice. 

SteveInWA

First, stop using the Legacy user interface.  Use the current UI, here:  https://voice.google.com/settings

Second:  reverse the settings on the Google Voice settings page:  disable forwarding to the Callcentric number, and enable forwarding to the OBiTALK device.  Call the Google Voice number from some other, unrelated telephone number.  Your call should ring several times on the OBi-attached phone, and you should be able to answer that call.  What happens?

ThomasL

Under Incoming Calls on GV settings, three are listed as My Devices: Web, ObiTalk Device, Android, of which only the ObiTalk Device is enabled.  For call forwarding, only Callcentric number was listed but is now disabled.  The test call still just rang once and went to voice message.  

I should add: the call history of both GV and Callcentric has logged the call.  Given that I already disabled forwarding to Callcentric from GV, it's interesting that Callcentric would have the incoming call.  I assume this has to do with Callcentric being registered with the Obi200?

Update: A call just came in with 2 rings and then disconnected itself.  The call history of GV has this incoming call.  However, the call history of Callcentric does not have it.  This is different than the test call I made earlier.  So, I made a test call (from my cell) again.  As before, after one ring the recording came up.  This call is registered into the call history of both GV and CC. 

SteveInWA

That makes no sense whatsoever.  IF you disable forwarding to the Callcentric number, then Callcentric should not be receiving the call, nor should it have any log of that call.

You are doing something wrong, but it's so borked-up that I can't tell from this end.

Start over.  Delete (de-link) the Callcentric number completely off of the Google Voice settings page.  Delete the SPx configuration for Google Voice on your OBiTALK dashboard.  Delete the OBiTALK entry off of Google Voice settings.

Unplug the OBiTALK device.

Link a real, 10-digit US telephone number to the Google Voice configuration.  Call the Google Voice number from some other phone number that is NOT a linked number.  The expected behavior is that your call will ring on the linked phone number, for about 25 seconds, until you answer it on that linked phone number.

Does this work?

ThomasL

Following your advice, I took the steps below in sequence:

1.  Delete Callcentric completely off Google Voice
2.  Delete SP1 configuration for Google Voice off ObiTALK (so Callcentric remains as SP2)
3.  Delete the OBiTALK entry off of Google Voice (so Web and Android Device remain as my devices)
4.  Unplug the OBiTalk device (without replugging in)
5.  Like a real 10-digit US phone number to Google Voice
6.  Call Google Voice from a different phone

Result: As expected, the test call rang 5 times on the linked phone number. 

What should I do next?  Thanks!