News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot configure Obi100 to use Google Voice

Started by kliu888, August 24, 2015, 01:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kliu888

I have my Obi100 configured with SP1 for Google Voice & SP2 for Call with Us (SIP). This works fine until yesterday it did an automatic firmware upgrade to 1.3.0 build 2872. Now it no longer connects to ObiTalk web portal and all configurations were lost.

I manually configured it but only SIP works, not Google Voice. The status shows "Service Not Configured." I have another Obi100 with older firmware (2774) which works perfectly with Google Voice & SIP. I made sure all the settings on both devices are the same but the one with newer firmware always shows "Service Not Configured." And yes, I only have one device connect to WAN at a time so it's not because both of them trying to log into the same GV account.

Is there something else I have to do in order to get Google Voice to work with the new firmware? The following is what I've done for GV which works for older firmware:

1. ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name: Google Voice
2. ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocal: Google Voice
3. Voice Services -> SIP Credentials -> AuthUserName: (GV username)
4. Voice Services -> SIP Credentials -> AuthPassword: (GV password)

Everything else is left as default.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

SteveInWA

You set up your Google Voice service a long time ago.  The old method no longer works.

Read my detailed instructions here, to configure GV:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

kliu888

Thank you, Steve. So it won't work without ObiTalk portal even though it has the latest firmware? Looks like Obihai changed the firmware so that you must use ObiTalk portal because my other device with older firmware works with GV (I just set it up successfully with manual configuration today). That's too bad because I could not add my device to the web portal. Every time I dial the **5 xxxx the device just reboots. >:(

SteveInWA

There has already been extensive discussion about this, dating back a couple of years.  The change was made a year ago, to comply with Google's enhanced security requirements.

Factory-reset your device, and make sure it is at the current software version ( http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-latest.fw ), then you should be able to add it to the portal again.

kliu888

I must have factory-reset it 20 times. As soon as I dial **5 xxxx it reboots. I download the latest firmware and tried to upgrade but it says what I downloaded is identical to what's on the device so it won't update the firmware (guess that means I've already have the latest firmware). Is there another way to add it to the portal?

SteveInWA

No.

It's possible that your device is already added on a different portal account.  There's no way that you are going to resolve this yourself.  Your options are to pay Obihai for out-of-warranty support, or just buy a new device.  The OBi 20x family offer more capabilities, and have the processor power to support current and future features.

kliu888

OK. Thanks for the help. I've already contacted the support and they told me to buy an Obi200. Well, since my device was working fine until the auto firmware update, I don't feel like paying for it. So I will just disable auto firmware update on my other device and use that one until it no longer works. Then look for alternatives from other manufactures.

Thanks again for your help.

SteveInWA

Just one more thing for you to check:  if you had previously set firewall rules on your network to block the ports used by the OBiTALK provisioning network, you would, of course, need to have removed those rules, so the device could communicate with the portal.

azrobert

What time did you last try adding your OBi100 to the portal? The OBiTalk network has been down since Sunday. MrGadget reported OBiTalk was restored about 11:00 PST today.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10313.msg68110#msg68110

kliu888

Tried all throughout Monday & just did it again now. The device just reboots as soon as I dial **5 xxxx. I don't think it's trying to connect to ObiTALK network at all. Their network being down Sunday was probably the reason why the firmware update bricked my device, which is why I don't think I should be paying for it. I suspects my firmware was not fully functional but it won't let me upload another one now. When they release a new firmware I will try to upgrade and maybe that will allow me to add the device.

madhatter

baroquebob

Just wanted to post a 'thank you' to SteveInWA - I just had this issue today (23-June-2016), and your steps resolved my issue.  Thanks a LOT!

Treva

Thank you SteveinWa, I also had this problem today (6-23-2016) and your solution worked for me.

nitz

Same here, also on June 23, 2016.  Thank you SteveInWA.