News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 200 seems to go to sleep. Has to dial twice to make outgoing calls

Started by TTCP, June 30, 2016, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTCP

I used my OBI 200 to register for a free VOIP phone service at www.freephoneline.ca ( FPL ).

This phone service is basically working fine. But I got a strange problem it. If I have not used my OBI + FPL to make outgoing calls for a while, say several hours, then it seems either my OBI or the FPL server will go into some kind of sleep status. If I make an outgoing call then, the call will not go through. I just hear dead silence on the line, Then after about 30 seconds or so, the line gets disconnected by itself. But I dial the same number again or dial any number, the call will go through.

So it seems the first call will not go through. It only serves to wake up either my OBI or the FPL server. Dialing again will normally go through.

I asked FPL about it. They just gave me the typical scripted answer asking me to reconfig my OBI. I am not happy with this kind of answer which amounts to nothing.

Can people here help me resolve this strange problem?

Webslinger

Hi,

I see no one is replying to you here, which must be frustrating.

The first thought that goes through my mind is that you may be experiencing a UPnP issue with your router. A port request is called and then eventually works, closes, and then takes awhile to trigger properly again. So, if you want something to start looking at as the culprit, your router's firmware and/or settings would be my first guess.

May also be a UDP connection timeout issue with your router.

I would also check your settings against the .pdf guide located at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16196

You may want to look at the KeepAliveExpires value on page 4.

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely positive what could be causing this problem, and I'm mostly just guessing since no one has bothered replying to you, but the first place I would start looking is your router. Maybe check to see if there's a firmware upgrade available.

Others here are far more knowledgeable than I am.

Edited some typos.

TTCP

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I also finally found out that it is indeed my ( firmware-buggy ) NetGear N300 router that is causing the problem. I replaced it with a TP-Link router. Now everything is back to normal.

Thanks!