News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi302 can't provision with obitalk. Install is tomorrow!

Started by cleartrunk, July 05, 2016, 03:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleartrunk

Just got a new shipment of OBi302s in.
I can't get them to provision with ObiTalk:

Steps I have taken:
Connect to internet port.
acquires IP
Power light flashing
Echo test good (**9 222 222 2222)
Go to obitalk and try to add to device **5 , I get
"There is no call route available to complete your call"

I have tried with both of the Obi302 that I purchased from N***a.
The other Obi302 ATAs I have were purchased from Obihai direct.  They configured with obi talk easily.

I entered web gui.  Found that Obitalk prov is disabled, Changed method to System Start, Hit Save,
stated: "OBi device is currently busy, Your request is denied.", then I rebooted.
Went back to gui.  Obitalk still disabled.
Unable to make any changes.
Reset to factory defaults, no affect.

I am having the same issues as forum post: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1825.0

SteveInWA

I purchased from N***a.

Whatever that is, is your problem.

OBi 30x devices are intended for service provider deployment.  The units you bought may be used, and/or already locked to a service provider.  Contact Obihai for assistance; we can't help you here.

Betta

I used these instructions:

OBi302 Note: To access the integral web page via the WAN port, you may need to enable WAN access.  To do this, from the connected phone dial ***0.  Next, enter 30# - Press 1 to enter a new value - Press 1# to enable - Press 1 to save.

from https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Then I copied my settings from a Obi100 device that was setup for Asterisk. I was then able to use Obi302 with Asterisk. This method may allow you to use the device with other carriers too. The tricky part was getting the management webpage. Thanks to ShermanObi.

drgeoff

@Betta

As a noob you are trying to be helpful but there is no need for 5 identical posts.

What you wrote also applies to the 202, is documented in the Admin Guide together with alternative methods and is totally irrelevant to 4 of the 5 threads you posted in.

Betta

Sorry for multiple posts. There were many questions posted on different threads all ending in deadends - Obi302 is a brick and just discard or return and get Obi202. I wanted to help those following different threads to get their device to work. I am surprised no one answered this simple question in a useful way.

drgeoff

Quote from: Betta on April 22, 2018, 12:04:42 PM
Sorry for multiple posts. There were many questions posted on different threads all ending in deadends - Obi302 is a brick and just discard or return and get Obi202. I wanted to help those following different threads to get their device to work. I am surprised no one answered this simple question in a useful way.
A retail 302 (with official firmware) can do everything a 202 can do except connect directly to Google Voice.  Workarounds are to use the Simonics GV gateway or to install an unofficial firmware.

A non-retail 302 that is locked/crippled is no less of a brick with Asterisk than with any other ITSP.

Betta

Thank you for that information. Is there any way to distinguish between a retail and non-retail  302? My 302 does not get recognized by Obitalk (gives Failed to add device: This device is customized for another service provider and cannot be added to your account! ) but works fine with Asterisk.

SteveInWA

Retail:  purchased directly from an authorized retailer, like Amazon, Newegg, Fry's or B&H Photo.

Not retail:  purchased off of eBay or Craigslist or from some sort of surplus auction or scavenger.

The issue is, and by the way, this also applies to the entire OBi product line:  most retail OBi customers keep their devices until they break.  Most 300-series customers were supplied their units by a system integrator (a company that offers a turnkey combination of hardware, phone service, and device management).  Those 300-series devices may be locked to that service provider.  If they show up on an auction site or other unauthorized source, it is highly likely that the units are either a)still locked, or b)defective.  For example:  Acme Dynamite Corp. may have contracted with Zippy phone service to provide 50 phone numbers provisioned on 50 OBi 300 devices.  Acme goes out of business, and some sort of liquidation company sells off all of their office equipment.  Vinny Vulture buys up the stuff for pennies on the dollar and then tries to sell it on eBay...  it's junk.

GPz1100

To the OP, might want to check out the thread over at dslr.  There's some firmware available for the 302 that may allow you to use the device.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31792784-Obihai-OBi200-202-302-OBi1022-1032-1062-firmware-mods

Betta

I was able to update my 302 to the latest firmware even though the device couldn't be registered on Obitalk. The FW file is same for both 202 and 302. That may indicate service provider devices may be recognized by registration system by MAC or Serial number.

Instead of trying FW from non-Obi sources, I think they should try getting a known good config from a working device.

SteveInWA

Right:  use official firmware.  OBiTALK registers the device via its OBi number and MAC address.

Here's how it works: 

If you can register the device with OBiTALK, then the device was not previously registered to some other user, who didn't delete it off of their OBiTALK portal, OR it was not previously registered to a carrier and locked to that carrier.

If you get the error message shown in red in your earlier post, then it can't be registered by you to the OBiTALK portal, for the reasons I posed above.  It doesn't matter what you do to reset the device.

If you don't need to use the OBiTALK portal, then you may be able to configure it locally, via the device's built in web server, at its assigned IP address.

Betta

This is important; there seems to be misunderstanding that Service Provider devices are somehow "crippled/locked" and are "bricks". That is not true. They are exact same devices that are refused registration on ObiTalk based on MAC or S/N. If you copy config from a working device, they might even do google talk as google doesn't care for MAC or S/N (i.e. to exclude from service).

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 22, 2018, 09:48:48 PM

If you don't need to use the OBiTALK portal, then you may be able to configure it locally, via the device's built in web server, at its assigned IP address.

Mango

If yours does happen to be locked, the third-party firmware from http://www.obifirmware.com/ has an unlocking tool.  You need to SSH into the device and run clear_zt_params.