News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Home Office Setup

Started by 1u72, July 10, 2011, 12:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1u72

I currently have an Obi100 that I plan to carry with me.  I am thinking about purchasing an Obi110 to use in my home office, but for me to take advantage of the line port I would need to make sure it can operate in the manner I want.  I have read through the Obi110 Administration Guide and while I understand the concepts about the Call Routing I a question I hope someone can answer.

What I would like to do is use the Obi110 with a POTS line and with Google Voice.  My question is when calls come in on SP1 can I configure the Obi110 to ring only the PH1, however, I would like to be able to answer the call on phones connected through the LI1.  I do not care if I have to enter a Star Code or something to answer.  In fact this might be preferred to prevent accidental answer.

There are several reasons I would like this configuration.  First, I don't want my business calls to ring through the entire house--napping children are sensitive to ringing phones.  Second, I cannot find any documentation for my VTech LS6375-3 cordless phone that says it can handle different ring patterns.  Third, I really do not want to buy another phone headset for the business line if I can use my current one with both lines.

Thanks for reading,
Philip

RonR

Phones connected to your POTS line will only work with your POTS line.

An OBi that is also conencted to your POTS line can answer incoming calls on your POTS line or make outgoing calls through your POTS line.

Incoming calls on SP1, SP2, or OBiTALK cannot be answered using phones connected to the LINE Port.

1u72

RonR, thanks for you reply.  I was just reading another post that I overlooked last night which described this very thing.

I guess my question now is how well does the distinctive ring feature work on cordless phones such as the VTech LS6375-3.  Do the latest cordless phones which let you choose between custom ringers work with the distinctive ring which is done by changing the voltage and frequency on the line?

Thanks,
Philip

RonR

I use a Vtech DS-6321 and it has no problem with distinctive ring.  The OBi uses a different ring pattern on the OBiTALK trunk by default and the Vtech handles it just fine.

1u72

AWESOME!

RonR, thanks for you help!  I really appreciate your time.

Philip Lutz

1u72

Quote from: RonR on July 10, 2011, 01:20:31 PM
I use a Vtech DS-6321 and it has no problem with distinctive ring.  The OBi uses a different ring pattern on the OBiTALK trunk by default and the Vtech handles it just fine.

As a followup I just wanted to post that My VTech LS6375-3 does do the distinctive ring just fine.  The phone has ten ringer options some of these are melodies.  In order to use the distinctive ring you have to use one of the non-melody ringers.

Also, about my confusion about phones being on the Line (LI1) side of the Obi.  This actually worked to my advantage.  I have a cordless phone attached to the Phone (PH1) port which receives calls from my VOIP services and from the land line.  Then the rest of my house is on the LI1 side which means they do not ring when a VOIP call comes in.  Exactly what I wanted without having to by another phone.

RonR, thanks again for your help.  I just wish I had read your reply in the other post prior to asking my question.

Philip