News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I'm going to buy two ObI202 from Amazon.co.uk but i read: Google Voice will not

Started by Vegetus, August 09, 2016, 02:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegetus

Hi there!

I live in Italy and I already have an ObI202 device. Now I want to buy a new one for a friend of mine.
On Amazon.co.uk there are those devices but I read:

Google Voice will not be supported after May 15, 2014

Maybe it's an outdated info. But it is possible we have an old hardware version too, something we can't upgrade via Web Portal or something like that. Therefore, before I buy that unit, I would like to ask you:

Why Google Voice will not be supported after May 15, 2014 via the ObI202 sold by Amazon UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OBi202-UK-Phone-Adaptor-Router-2-Phone/dp/B00AHKGNQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470777335&sr=8-1&keywords=obihai

Thank you very much.

drgeoff

That warning is out of date and now incorrect. It did apply to all OBi devices, not only those sold by Amazon UK.  However, OBi devices do still support Google Voice though it may be necessary (and in any case advisable) to update the firmware.  There has been no hardware change to OBi devices necessary to continue working with GV.

But, and it may be a significant "but" for anyone outside the USA wishing to use GV, if you do not have GV numbers obtaining each one requires that you have a US phone number that can receive incoming calls and has not been previously used to get a GV number.  This is purely a GV requirement, nothing to do with using an OBi device.  The process of obtaining a GV number does not require the use of an OBi so you may wish to try that before committing to a purchase.

If you do not plan to use GV you can confidently purchase an OBi202 or other OBi ATA from Amazon UK. The only difference between one from there and one purchased in the US is the supplied power adaptor fits the UK style 3 pin mains socket.

Vegetus

Thank You for your fast reply, drgeoff.
I'm going to buy two ObI202 devices from Amazon UK.