News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

End of Life/Support Announcement for OBi100 and OBi110

Started by Taoman, August 10, 2016, 05:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

End Of Life for 100 and 110 begins 8-12-16.
End Of Support for 100 and 110 begins 12-31-16.

QuoteThe OBi100 and OBi110 devices have been good soldiers, but have reached the end of their useful life which necessitates the decision to discontinue the product and software development.

http://blog.obihai.com/feeds/posts/default

drgeoff

I'm not so surprised by this but a little disappointed.  The OBi200 amply replaces the OBi100 but IMHO there is currently nothing available from any vendor that will replace the Obi110.  Yes an Obi20x plus OBiLINE should, but many users report less than stellar performance of the OBiLINE and physically and visually the two coupled devices are not as neat as a 110.

I suspect a major reason the OBi1x0s are being discontinued is that it isn't viable to make any more.  The main chip is customised for Obihai. Possibly Obihai's stock is running low and the minimum reorder quantity vastly exceeds the number of future projected OBi1x0s sales.  Possibly there are other parts which are already, or are becoming, obsolete, difficult to source and cannot be replaced with alternatives without a redesign.  However minor such a redesign might be, it incurs significant expenditure in manpower and money which again may not make economic sense.

The OBi1x0s have a different processor, MIPS, than the later models (ARM) and less memory.  We have already seen features implemented in the 20xs but not the 1x0s.

It would be nice to hear there is an "OBi210" in the pipeline that merges the POTS capability of the 110 with the current features and future potential of the 202.  Please Mr Obihai, pretty please.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on August 11, 2016, 04:32:29 AM
The OBi200 amply replaces the OBi100 but IMHO there is currently nothing available from any vendor that will replace the Obi110. 

Agreed. I've had my 110 for many years and it is still working flawlessly. Hope it stays that way.

nlurker

I imagine a not-insignificant fraction of old Obi's were bricked by the last firmware update, and Obihai thinks this is a better PR move than making that problem even worse with another update.  This is probably why they quietly stopped doing auto-updates a while back too.

LTN1

Quote from: nlurker on August 11, 2016, 08:46:29 AM
I imagine a not-insignificant fraction of old Obi's were bricked by the last firmware update, and Obihai thinks this is a better PR move than making that problem even worse with another update.  This is probably why they quietly stopped doing auto-updates a while back too.

Your imagination of a valid and latest firmware "bricking" an OBi device is reckless speculation. Everyone I've seen so far upgrading to the latest firmware have indicated that it worked after the update. I haven't seen anyone state on the forum that the latest firmware bricked (as in completely destroying) their device. I've also seen one or two that probably due to user error, didn't know how to properly update their device. If you can provide a link to a few people on the forum experiencing what you "imagined," (after the latest update not before) your statement would carry more weight.

ProfTech

I agree that there isn't a replacement for the 110 in the marketplace. I happen to have a spare 110 that has already been loaded with 2872 and glad I have it. I'm waiting for a local ISP to build fiber service in my area but they have indicated it probably will be sometime in 2018. I won't switch to "full sip" [voip] phone service until fiber is available. My ATT / DSL combo is perfectly good and as a bonus I have "real" phone service until then. Even then there are the issues of battery backup and UPS which I don't concern myself with very much as long as I have a POTS line and my 110.

precht

Quote from: LTN1 on August 11, 2016, 10:54:57 AM
Quote from: nlurker on August 11, 2016, 08:46:29 AM

Your imagination of a valid and latest firmware "bricking" an OBi device is reckless speculation. Everyone I've seen so far upgrading to the latest firmware have indicated that it worked after the update. I haven't seen anyone state on the forum that the latest firmware bricked (as in completely destroying) their device. I've also seen one or two that probably due to user error, didn't know how to properly update their device. If you can provide a link to a few people on the forum experiencing what you "imagined," (after the latest update not before) your statement would carry more weight.

Agreed whole-heartedly, thanks for correcting the falsehood and misinformation!

Although I was disappointed to find my Obi100 suddenly stopped working, I'm glad the firmware update resolved things immediately and I didn't need to run out to buy a new unit

wpbear

What's the likelihood the obi100 will stop working permanently  anytime soon?  I did the manual firmware update a few months back and got it working with Google voice again. Is this a scare tactic to sell me a new device or is this for real, I need to buy one next time the new obi200 is on sale?

SteveInWA

Quote from: wpbear on October 14, 2016, 07:09:19 PM
What's the likelihood the obi100 will stop working permanently  anytime soon?  I did the manual firmware update a few months back and got it working with Google voice again. Is this a scare tactic to sell me a new device or is this for real, I need to buy one next time the new obi200 is on sale?

Discontinuing production of the 100 series has nothing to do with Google Voice, and your OBi 100 will keep working as it does today for the "anytime soon" period.  If you read the FAQ that Obihai provided with the original EOL announcement, it's clearly explained.  If Google somehow changes their service at some future date, there won't be any more firmware updates to accommodate the change.  You can decide at that time, if you want to replace your 100 with a 200. There is no "scare tactic".  All tech product manufacturers eventually stop supporting old stuff, as new and improved products are developed.

LTN1

Quote from: wpbear on October 14, 2016, 07:09:19 PM
Is this a scare tactic to sell me a new device or is this for real, I need to buy one next time the new obi200 is on sale?

Don't believe this false information. The e-mail notice sent is a forgery by Guccifer, a known hacker. Believe me, I have it on good information (I'll release the details soon when my administrative audit is done). It is a conspiracy to sell you an item you don't need. Obihai will continue to support the OBi1xx series indefinitely as they stand behind their product. I also have it on good inside information that they will retroactively upgrade all warranties to lifetime warranties. Who would you rather believe--a so-called expert and somewhat dashing SteveInWA (his rugged good looks make me sick), or me, who tells you the truth about the marketing conspiracy that you know is true? Spread the word.