News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Wireless connection drops when phone in use

Started by qzechq, July 15, 2011, 04:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qzechq

Hi all!
So I got my OBi100 set up and working w/ my GV account. Calls out and I can call in no problem. However, when the phone is in use for some reason the wireless connection cuts out. Noticed it today when my wife made a call, all of the sudden my MacBook couldn't connect to the wireless router anymore. The router is a D-Link DIR-628, wireless N w/ 4 ports. Firmware is up to date (AFAIK). I locked in the IP of the OBi100 but laptops get assigned as they come on line. I suspect it might be a bandwidth issue. The same thing happens if I'm doing heavy downloads on a wired PC. Is there any way to throttle or port assign the OBi?

Any help would be appreciated. I'd really like to be able to surf the internet while my wife makes a call.

Thanks - qzechq

Dav3yDark0

Your cordless phone's frequency is trouncing on the WiFi signal, try using a different WiFi channel. This is a common problem with cordless phones and WiFi since they utilize some of the same frequencies.

Dave

qzechq

Yep! that was it. Should have known.  ::) Bought the phone used so didn't realize it was a 2.4GHz phone until I looked it up on Amazon. Sure enough my router was set to 2.431Ghz channel. Changed it to 2.462 and that seems to have straightened things out. Unfortunately I can't switch the router over to the 5GHz range because my wife's old laptop won't work on it.

Thanks for your help Dave!