News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Suddenly not getting CallerID name with GV - now "Out of Area"

Started by ucla95, September 07, 2016, 11:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ucla95

Obi200.  Not a pro user.  Been working just fine with GV and Anveo and getting caller ID name.  Now - after a firmware update I just did because the thing was suddenly losing connection for roughly a half hour most days - I get the phone number but 'Out of Area' instead of the name.  Obi200 is and always has been attached via ethernet cable to my router.
Any solution? tia!

Taoman

Quote from: ucla95 on September 07, 2016, 11:32:56 AM
Obi200.  Not a pro user.  Been working just fine with GV and Anveo and getting caller ID name.  Now - after a firmware update I just did because the thing was suddenly losing connection for roughly a half hour most days - I get the phone number but 'Out of Area' instead of the name.  Obi200 is and always has been attached via ethernet cable to my router.
Any solution? tia!

The only way you would have been getting "caller ID name" is if you were paying Anveo for CNAM lookups. Is that the case or are you only paying Anveo for E911?

My guess is what you really mean is that you are no longer seeing the calling number displayed on your phone in the location the caller ID name would normally show up. Instead, you are now seeing "Out of Area."

If so, you need to make the following change:

Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> CidNoNameFormat:
Change this setting to be: Show Caller Number (then submit and save your changes)

Note: This change can only be made from the local user web interface using the local ip address of your OBi device.
You can find your local OBi IP address by dialing ***1 on your OBi connected phone.
Default password for both user name and password is admin

ucla95

No I only use Anveo for 911.  I was and still get the phone number Caller ID - but previously I was getting the name in my contacts in GV as well.  Now I just get 'out of area'.  So I misworded my question I guess - I wasn't getting the formal CallerID name from the phone company - but I was getting the name from my GV directory if I had the caller already in there.  Now the name isn't being pushed to my phone.

Taoman

Quote from: ucla95 on September 07, 2016, 12:20:15 PM
I wasn't getting the formal CallerID name from the phone company - but I was getting the name from my GV directory if I had the caller already in there.  Now the name isn't being pushed to my phone.

Are you subscribing to OBiExtras?

ucla95

Taoman

Are you positive these GV Contact names are not in the phone book in your actual phone?

ucla95

SteveInWA

Google Voice has never sent caller ID name along with caller ID number.  It does not look up callers' phone numbers in Google Contacts and send that caller's name with the call.

If the caller ID number (not the caller ID name) field says "out of area", then there is an issue with the telephone number that is calling you (fake/corrupted caller ID, or anonymous/empty/blocked caller ID data).

You haven't mentioned what type of phone you are using.  Is this the phone plugged into the OBi, or is it a mobile phone (which would have nothing to do with OBi issues)?

If it's the phone plugged into the OBi, then the only way you would ever see a name, would be if your telephone has a matching name/number pair in its built-in phone book.

ucla95

It's a Panasonic phone plugged into my Obi.
Despite what you've just said - if a contact was in my GV contacts I would get the name that I used in GV, until recently.

SteveInWA

The first version of the firmware that was released after OBiEXTRAS was introduced, had a code bug that was enabling that feature (which is an extra-cost OBiEXTRAS feature) on all devices.  The bug was fixed, and now you need to pay to integrate your Google Contacts.  Since you upgraded the firmware, the bug was removed and you will no longer see the names unless you subscribe to the service.

If you want names, the other approach is to use a paid or free inbound telephone number from Callcentric or other ITSP, and forward your Google Voice calls to that number instead of forwarding them to Chat.

ucla95

Quote from: Taoman on September 07, 2016, 12:17:55 PM

Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> CidNoNameFormat:
Change this setting to be: Show Caller Number (then submit and save your changes)

Did this and now instead of out of area at the top of the Caller ID line I got the phone number - and I still have the phone number coming through on the second line of the Caller ID as well.  It was previously on Show Code O

ucla95

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 07, 2016, 12:59:59 PM
The first version of the firmware that was released after OBiEXTRAS was introduced, had a code bug that was enabling that feature (which is an extra-cost OBiEXTRAS feature) on all devices.  The bug was fixed, and now you need to pay to integrate your Google Contacts.  Since you upgraded the firmware, the bug was removed and you will no longer see the names unless you subscribe to the service.

If you want names, the other approach is to use a paid or free inbound telephone number from Callcentric or other ITSP, and forward your Google Voice calls to that number instead of forwarding them to Chat.

Ty.  Bummer.  Started to crash a lot so I felt that I had to upgrade firmware.
Ty everyone for your help