News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

MessageWaiting is on, but not getting stutter tone

Started by Webslinger, September 24, 2016, 09:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webslinger

- OBi202 hardware version 1.2

- 3.1.0 (Build:5285), but also tried 4972 and 4581

- using Panasonic KX-TGA750C handsets but have also tried other phones, including a corded phone (no stutter tone, regardless)

- SP1 is a SIP service (not Google Voice)

- When a voice message is left, MessageWaiting is checked in the ATA as expected. When a voice message is deleted, MessageWaiting is unchecked as expected.

- Under SP1,

MWIEnable on         
MWIEnable2 on   
X_VMWIEnable on      
X_VMWIEnable2 on
MessageWaiting on

- Under both Phone Ports,

MWIEnable   on   
VMWIEnable on

- Under SP2, SP3, and SP4

MWIEnable off         
MWIEnable2 off   
X_VMWIEnable off      
X_VMWIEnable2 off
MessageWaiting off

The Voicemail indicator used to work fine on these phones, but I can't remember what OBi20x firmware was being used.

Well, I just tried 3.0.1 (Build: 4581) and still not getting a stutter tone despite MessageWaiting being on. I was trying different firmwares since I thought this situation might be due to a firmware bug, but I've tried 3 different firmware versions now.

My question is what settings in the ATA would cause the stutter tone to not occur on phone ports despite MessageWaiting being checked under SP1? Or what conditions would cause this situation to occur?

If anyone has any helpful thoughts, I'd appreciate reading them. Thanks

Webslinger

On 5285, I'm seeing under SP1-->Calling features

X_MWIRoute      
X_VMWIRoute

Not really sure how to use them or whether doing so would resolve this issue.

Webslinger

Quote from: Webslinger on September 24, 2016, 11:24:47 AM
On 5285, I'm seeing under SP1-->Calling features

X_MWIRoute      
X_VMWIRoute

Not really sure how to use them or whether doing so would resolve this issue.

Well, I couldn't find anything in the Obihai admin guide, and adding {ph,ph2} in both fields didn't fix the issue.
It's really weird that the phone ports don't stutter at all despite MessageWaiting being checked on.

SteveInWA

Looking at your posting history, I believe you are using freephoneline.ca / Fongo for your SP1 service.

This is a long-standing issue with that provider.  It's not an OBi issue.

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17194&p=68630&hilit=message+waiting#p68630

Webslinger

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 24, 2016, 11:02:10 PM
Looking at your posting history, I believe you are using freephoneline.ca / Fongo for your SP1 service.

This is a long-standing issue with that provider.  It's not an OBi issue.

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17194&p=68630&hilit=message+waiting#p68630

No, that issue you linked to is completely unrelated and is triggered by the user manually deleting voicemail in Freephoneline's web portal, as opposed to dialing *98 and deleting voicemail through Freephoneline's voicemail attendant only. MWI, after deleting voicemail via Freephoneline's web portal, is then constantly stuck on even when voicemail is deleted. The provider's server keeps sending a packet to the ATA that enables MWI over and over again. That is, in fact, a bug involving Freephoneline's web portal. Most users in that thread are confused with, perhaps, one exception. The fix for that issue requires contacting Freephoneline's technical support and requesting the user's account to be manually reset or resynced.

Instead, the issue I'm posting about involves MessageWaiting being on in the ATA when there's actually voicemail present. That's normal and expected. However, the phone ports are not producing a stutter tone when MessageWaiting is on. That's not normal nor expected. After deleting voicemail, MessageWaiting turns off in the ATA and remains off until voicemail is left. That's normal and expected. When voicemail is left, MessageWaiting turns on again (normal and expected) in the ATA, but the phone ports are not producing a stutter tone. That's not normal nor expected. I also tested with a corded phone.

Also, if I enable MessageWaiting manually and reboot, there's still no stutter tone despite the fact MessageWaiting remains checked (because I've left a voicemail while the ATA is rebooting). Consequently, I can't see how this is a provider issue. The condition of having MessageWaiting on in addition to having the following settings enabled, should produce a stutter tone, regardless of the SIP provider being used:

MWIEnable on        
MWIEnable2 on  
X_VMWIEnable on      
X_VMWIEnable2 on
MessageWaiting on

- Under both Phone Ports,

MWIEnable   on  
VMWIEnable on

The first time I noticed this issue is after updating to 3.1.0 (Build:5285). I'm also not using the Obitalk.com web portal. I mention this because I don't see X_MWIRoute and X_VMWIRoute in Obitalk.com, under SP1-->Calling Features. I have Obitalk provisioning disabled, and I'm making changes directly in the ATA instead.

It's the SIP server's job to enable MessageWaiting in the ATA when voicemail is present. The server does that properly. And it turns off MessageWaiting in the ATA when voicemail is not present. The provider is doing its job.

It's the ATA's job to produce a stutter tone on the phone ports when MessageWaiting is on. The provider is not responsible for producing the stutter tone.

So, unless I'm misunderstanding something, I can't see how this issue I'm describing has anything to do with the SIP provider being used on SP1.

Possibly some setting is messed up in the ATA, but I'm really hoping not to have to reset the thing back to defaults. I'm hoping someone can tell me what settings to look at. And it would be great if someone would describe what X_MWIRoute and X_VMWIRoute do, and how to use those settings (i.e, the syntax required for them).

FWIW, Freephoneline is not Fongo Home Phone. Fongo Home Phone is not a BYOD service. They're two separate services owned by Fibernetics, a CLEC in Canada, which is also a carrier for VoIP.ms. I know Freephonline's website has "Fongo" and "Powered by Fongo" posted all over the place, but Fongo Mobile and Fongo Home Phone are separate services from Freephoneline.

Thank you for your time and also for trying to find an answer. I appreciate the effort.

SteveInWA

I am not equating Fongo's locked-down home phone service with byod freephoneline.ca, only linking to their support forum.

You're correct that the ITSP is responsible for toggling the MWI status on or off, and that the ATA is responsible for playing the stutter tone.  And, of course, the telephone itself needs to have the feature enabled.  Panny phones have a setting to optionally turn it off.  I realize you said you tried another phone, but I am just mentioning this for completeness.

Note that the OBi "MessageWaiting" parameter is just a register holding the current state of whether or not there is a message waiting; it's not a setting.

The OBi should play whatever stutter tone you have set in Tone Settings--Tone Profile A (or B)-->Stutter Tone.

The default values are:

A:  350-18,440-18;20;2(.1+.1);()
B:  400-18,425-18,450-18;20;2(.1+.04);()

These two profiles are selected under Physical Interfaces-->PHONE 1 (or PHONE 2)-->ToneProfile

I suspect that your various configuration customizations and repeated firmware changes have messed this up somehow.  There is nothing wrong with the current firmware in this regard.  At least in my case, running firmware build 5285, both MWI and VMWI work as designed, using Callcentric, with no tweaks needed.

In theory, you should be able to delete SP1 and then re-add SP1 with the basic ITSP settings, and it should work.  The OBiTALK portal has a pre-defined configuration for freephoneline.ca

Webslinger

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 25, 2016, 01:50:48 AM
You're correct that the ITSP is responsible for toggling the MWI status on or off, and that the ATA is responsible for playing the stutter tone.  And, of course, the telephone itself needs to have the feature enabled.  Panny phones have a setting to optionally turn it off.  I realize you said you tried another phone, but I am just mentioning this for completeness.

Yeah, VM tone detect is enabled. Even if it weren't, the stutter tone should still be heard, and it's not.

QuoteNote that the OBi "MessageWaiting" parameter is just a register holding the current state of whether or not there is a message waiting; it's not a setting.

Yes, I appreciate the distinction you're making.  

QuoteThe OBi should play whatever stutter tone you have set in Tone Settings--Tone Profile A (or B)-->Stutter Tone.

The default values are:

A:  350-18,440-18;20;2(.1+.1);()
B:  400-18,425-18,450-18;20;2(.1+.04);()

These two profiles are selected under Physical Interfaces-->PHONE 1 (or PHONE 2)-->ToneProfile

Thanks, those are the values listed in the ATA.

QuoteIn theory, you should be able to delete SP1 and then re-add SP1 with the basic ITSP settings, and it should work.  

Unfortunately, it doesn't. At least, not with 3.1.0 (Build:5285)

I guess I'll try resetting the device back to defaults and re-doing everything.

Very strange issue

Webslinger

Quote from: Webslinger on September 25, 2016, 07:44:03 AM
I guess I'll try resetting the device back to defaults and re-doing everything.

And, of course, that fixed the problem. Well, it's fixed until all four SPs are configured again. What a pain...  ::)

I really wish I knew for sure what caused this issue.

SteveInWA

I had some time to experiment just now.  I have an older Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone connected to my OBi 202.  I can confirm that, using the local web page interface, toggling the "MessageWaiting" register on or off and clicking "Submit" will immediately cause the stutter tone to turn on or off on the handset.  Rebooting the OBi isn't necessary, since you aren't actually changing a setting, so if you want to futz with this further, that will save you some time.

Webslinger

The issue is remaining ObiPlus settings after a subscription expires. I had no option to disable or remove these settings in the ATA.