News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

White/Static Noise on Answering Calls

Started by Billy2Hats, July 18, 2011, 08:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy2Hats

When an incoming call is answered either by us or the AA (using the Obitalk Device Configuration page to turn the AA on/off) there is a loud interference noise. If the AA is used this drowns out the AA message until it gets to option 3, when you can just tell there is a voice. By the time the AA repeats it's message it's all clear, unfortunately by then most callers have hung up!

Using the config from the sticky for Australia.

Any suggestion on what I could try to fix this would be appreciate.

Edit:

In the on-line "OBiDeviceAdminGuide" under Telephony on page 126 it lists the following features, however I can not find them in the ObiTalk Expert configuration settings.

Echo cancellation
Voice Activity Detection
Silence Supression

OBiSupport

Hi, could you please contact support@obihai.com? state your 9 digit OBi number in the email, and we like to look into your device and diagnose the problem.

Regarding your questions-

1/ Echo cancellation - integrated into the device, and fully adaptive, no need for any configuration.

2/ Voice Activity Detection (VAD) - VAD is a technique used in a number of features in OBi device. While algorithm itself is not configurable, you can surely adjust settings on other features, e.g., silence suppression/detection.

3/ Silence suppression

- Silence suppression,
      -- Codec profile -> silence suppression
   - LINE port long silence detection
      -- Physical interface -> LINE port -> SilenceDetectionSensitivity / SilenceTimeThreshold, ...
   - PHONE port silence detection
      -- Physical interface -> PHONE port -> silenceDetectionSensitivity ....

Billy2Hats

Thank you for the info and offer of assistance.

As a last thought here I tried a new adsl filter. I was not expecting this to work, as the noise is only for the first 10 or so seconds of the call and I didn't have the problem with my old Billion.

Anyway problem solved so I'm happy. This also seems to have solved another issue of the internet dropping out every time I rebooted the OBi :)