News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 & GV: outgoing call rings once then drops

Started by WoodyN, October 05, 2016, 04:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodyN

I've been using my Obi for about a year.  Just this week I tried making a call, it rang once then...nothing.  I've tried several numbers and still the same result.   Incoming calls still work!
I have not changed any settings.  I have reset the Obi to no avail.  Any ideas?

SteveInWA

Hi Woody:

How, exactly, are you using Google Voice with your OBi?  Is your OBi configured to use Google Voice for both inbound and outbound calls, or are you forwarding inbound calls via a SIP number, such as with Callcentric?

SteveInWA

Also, ignore the discussion you are having over on the Google Voice forum.  That person has no idea how OBi devices work.

WoodyN

I'm just using it straight up with GV for both inbound and outbound.  The calls do register as outbound with GV so they are clearly connecting.  So it's like a connection is made but nothing works once the call has connected.

SteveInWA

There's no obvious reason that this specific behavior would occur.  It would make sense at this point, to just factory-reset your device and start over from scratch.  It isn't that hard.

First, log into your Google voice account on your laptop/desktop web browser, and go here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Confirm that you see the exact two words "Your number" on the left side of the web page, with your correct Google Voice inbound number.  Do you?  If so, confirm that you have a check mark next to "Google Chat".  Stay on this page, and leave this web browser tab open.  Press Ctrl-T to open a new browser tab.

Delete your OBi 202 completely (click the trash can icon).  Wait a few minutes for OBiTALK to remotely reset your device.  Do not add it back yet.  Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and enter ***0 then 1# to hear it read back your firmware version.  Note the last four digits (the build number).  If lower than 5285, then download 5285 from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-0-5285.fw.  Log into your OBi from its local IP address (press ***1 to get the address, and the default login is admin/admin).  Go to the System Management --> Device Update page, select the file you downloaded, and upload it.  After the OBi is finished updating, press ***8 then 1 on the phone to restore it to factory defaults.

Next, add it back to the OBiTALK web portal, by clicking the "Add device" link on the left side of the page, and following the instructions.

Click the link to configure Google Voice on the OBi and follow the directions.  When doing so, be absolutely sure that the pop-up confirmation window shows the correct Gmail user ID as is shown on your Google Voice page.

Did that resolve the issue?

WoodyN

Yes!!  It is working again.  I did have to update the firmware - don't know if that was the trick or just doing the factory reset.  Thanks so much!!

SteveInWA

Great.  Let us know if the problem pops up again.

Renard

I am having a similar problem -- I am using a Obi200. I have followed the above instructions, but the problem has not gone away.

My call rings about a half-ring, then gives me the "line is disconnected" rapid tone. I have been successfully making calls all day and it started doing this a couple hours ago. Every once and a while it will ring through properly, but known good numbers are coming up disconnected.

This does NOT happen when calling with my 2nd Google Voice line, using **2. Also this does NOT happen using my 1st line on Google Hangouts on my iPod Touch to call.

Is there a cooldown period on any one line?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Renard on October 20, 2016, 02:42:39 PM
I am having a similar problem -- I am using a Obi200. I have followed the above instructions, but the problem has not gone away.

My call rings about a half-ring, then gives me the "line is disconnected" rapid tone. I have been successfully making calls all day and it started doing this a couple hours ago. Every once and a while it will ring through properly, but known good numbers are coming up disconnected.

This does NOT happen when calling with my 2nd Google Voice line, using **2. Also this does NOT happen using my 1st line on Google Hangouts on my iPod Touch to call.

Is there a cooldown period on any one line?

I have no idea why your OBi would behave that way.  As for "cooldown", not sure what you mean, but yes, Google can and will temporarily block, or even permanently shut down, a user's Google account for abuse, if the user exceeds some [undisclosed] threshold of calling.  GV is intended for personal use, not for business use.