News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 makes calls but cannot receive

Started by JimboForum, October 05, 2016, 05:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimboForum

My obi202 used to work fine with the SIP service provider (DidLogic) but has suddenly stopped receiving calls.
The obi202 shows "Registered" for the 2 SIP services I am using - both are suffering from the same problem.
I have checked that the service provider is forwarding the call OK (by forwarding it to other routes).
I checked the logs of the Obi202 via its web interface but it shows nothing for incoming calls.
The Obi202 is able to make outgoing calls to both SIP services.

Can anyone think what else I should look for to fix this?

drgeoff

First thing to try is a power cycle.

If still not working after that my suggestion would be to install a softphone on your PC or smartphone and configure it with the SIP parameters of one of the accounts.  Turn off or disconnect your OBi from your LAN as some ITSPs don't permit more than one device to be registered at the same time.

If that receives calls OK, then the problem is with the OBi202.  If it does not, you probably need to get your ITSP to investigate.

JimboForum

Thanks for those suggestions.
The SIP Client (Zoiper) works fine.
Seems to imply it is the Obi202 - strangely it does receive incoming calls on SP1 (from GoogleVoice) but SP2-SP4 don't seem to accept incoming calls any more.
I can't imagine that there is an electronics problem inside the Obi202 that would be that selective - but can't think what else might cause the problem.

drgeoff

Except for the sections of Flash memory that hold the different code for SIP and XMPP services the hardware is common to GV and your SIP ITSP.

Has anything changed in your LAN or WAN setups?

Need to determine whether the 202 is receiving the SIP invites or not. Does 'Call Status' on the local GUI show anything when a call should be coming in?

You could try putting the Obi202 in your router's  DMZ. If that works, it provides some clues rather than a recommended permanent solution.

JimboForum

Thanks for your continued assistance.
Today I did a factory reset and rebuilt all the lines - just in case - but still same result.
I can't think of any LAN changes - though with incoming calls it is difficult to know when they stopped working.
I did change my ISP a few months back - possible.
From them I have a cable modem and router which I have put in bridge mode to stop double NAT - so shouldn't be their firewall.
My router is an Apple Airport Extreme(tall one) - no changes there. NAT and DHCP are on.
ISP claims that they don't block anything and my laptop hangs off the same router and the SIP clients there work (although they seem to not always respond to the first call - seem to need to wake up).
I remain puzzled.

JimboForum

...further - no, no sign of any change to Call Status or any details in Call History.

drgeoff

I don't understand you comments about modem and router.  If the "cable modem" is purely a modem then if you want the 202 and your computer (and anything else) connected to the router, then the router should NOT be in bridge mode.  You need the router to act as a router.

If the "modem" is actually modem-router, try temporarily connecting the OBi202's WAN port directly to it (ie omit the router) and make some test calls.

JimboForum

It's a modem/router combo - router part is in bridge mode - so the only router in the chain is the Airport Extreme.

drgeoff

OK.  You should still try with the OBi's WAN port connected directly to the modem-router.  Disconnect anything else connected to the modem-router and reboot the OBi.

JimboForum

To save me having to reset the modem-router - instead I plugged the Obi into a different LAN - (using hotspot on iPhone and internet sharing on Mac - connected to Obi via Ethernet).

Unfortunately same result -
SP1 - GoogleVoice - OK
SP2 - SIP - outgoing only
SP2 - SIP - outgoing only.

I think at this stage I'm going to have to think its an Obi problem - though a strange one.

drgeoff

Quote from: JimboForum on October 07, 2016, 09:22:31 AM
To save me having to reset the modem-router - instead I plugged the Obi into a different LAN - (using hotspot on iPhone and internet sharing on Mac - connected to Obi via Ethernet).

Unfortunately same result -
SP1 - GoogleVoice - OK
SP2 - SIP - outgoing only
SP2 - SIP - outgoing only.

I think at this stage I'm going to have to think its an Obi problem - though a strange one.
You don't reset the modem-router.

I've suggested several times that you connect the OBi directly to the modem-router.  Why are you so reluctant?

JimboForum

Not reluctant at all. In fact I had already done that but no joy. I've just done it again to confirm my findings.
For reasons I don't understand the Obi doesn't like being connected directly to the modem - it is as if it is not responding to the ISP's DHCP server.  After it has all settled the Obi responds to an outgoing call attempt with "network status: IP address unavailable".

drgeoff

Two suggestions.  Apologies if the first one insults your intelligence.

1.  Ensure you are using the 202's WAN port, not its LAN port.  I don't have a 202 so don't know what can and can't go through its LAN-WAN barrier.

2.  You seem sufficiently tech savvy to be able to fire up a syslog server and point the OBi to it.

drgeoff

3.  Item 7 on https://didlogic.com/support/setup-guides/linksys-pap2-ata ? (The bit about unchecking 'Send didinfo'.  The OBi devices are descended from the Sipura/Linksys ATAs through some common engineers on both.)

JimboForum

Ah, now that fixed it!  No idea why it had changed but un-checking send didinfo has cured the problem.

(now I can put all the syslog stuff away again).

Thank you oh Great One.

:)