News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

help - need to forward number from underwater obihai device to cell phone

Started by christophera, October 07, 2016, 12:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christophera

Hi,

Ok, looks like my obihai device - and the rest of my house - is now underwater (hurricane matthew).

I want to forward calls coming in to my home number to my cell phone.

I have obihai set up with Google Voice right now. I can't use Google Voice to forward to my cell phone number because my cell phone number is also a Google Voice number (project fi). Google Voice can't forward to itself apparently.

Is there a way for me to use the obitalk interfact to forward the calls that come in through my Google Voice number, then go to obihai number, to then forward to my cell phone?

If so, please provide specific instructions (links?) to what I need to do. My brain is a bit rattled at the moment and I need clear directions.

Chris

SteveInWA

Hi Chris:

Wow, that is awful!  I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.  I hope you and your family are at least safe somewhere.

You are right; you cannot forward a GV number to a Fi number, nor a Fi number to a GV number.  This is because Fi and GV use the same GV backend, and it creates a text message forwarding nightmare, so it is prohibited.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it.  However, you can run Google Hangouts on your phone, if it's an Android or iPhone.  For Android, you will also need to download the "Hangouts Dialer" companion app, in addition to the main Hangouts app.  Sign in with your Google Voice account's user ID and password, and you will be able to make and receive phone calls using that number.

christophera

Oh, excellent solution :)

You don't happen to also be a Google TC do you? Me too :)

Yep, we are safe on the west coast of FL and waiting for the all clear to get back into the flooded area. Thank you for your help and your kindness,

Chris