News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

UK calling line ID not working

Started by juniper, October 08, 2016, 09:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juniper

Hi
I am having problems making calling line ID work.
The call logs in the OBI200 reliably show the caller every time.
I have installed the UK XML files.
I have tried a couple of different phone devices.
I have tried various settings on the OBI, as documented here: https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=911

I opened a ticket with OBI support and was redirected to the UK XML files thread here.
I pointed out to them that I'd already installed the UK XML files.
I have heard nothing for a month now.
How can I escalate this?

thanks
Andy

drgeoff

These settings work for me.  BT copper line. Gigaset S445 DECT phone plugged in to Brother MFC-J4510DW printer/scanner/fax which is plugged directly (no house wiring) into Obi110.

Phone Port:
Impedance. 370+(620||310nF)
CallerIDMethod. FSK(V.23)
CallerIDTrigger. Before First Ring

LinePort:
Ring Delay. 0
AC Impedance. 370+(620||310nF)
CallerIDDetectMethod. FSK(V.23)

gsmlnx

I had to change my CallerTriggerId to be "After first ring" to get my UK Panasonic DECT base station to show caller id.

juniper

Thanks for the replies.  The phone port is set as posted by drgeoff, I tried all the different CallerTriggerId settings, different phones, phone plugged in directly to OBI200 etc.  Only thing that showed any sign of working was a USB modem which would pick up the number once when set to "After polarity reversal", but it would only show it the once, then I had to disconnect the phone line from it to get it to show the next number.

Any ideas on how to get OBI support to actually look at the ticket?

WelshPaul

This still ongoing? I guess Obihai don't want to waste their time on a guy who's trying to get a 15 year old phone to work. Which I was expecting TBH, not good is it.

EDIT: Are you still under the support/warranty period on your OBi200?
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

juniper

Yes, never really received a reply from them except to point me here.

If it was just the phones then I would tend to agree, but given that the 6 month old modem also does not function as expected makes me think that it is not the phone which is at fault.

The OBI200 is indeed still under warranty, it was only bought in June.  Maybe that's a path I need to investigate...

WelshPaul

If you have an active warranty then they should be offering you support. Simply referring you to this forum in the hope that another user/customer will be able to offer assistance isn't exactly providing a customer with support.

To think they like to charge their customers an annual fee for the privilege too!  ::)

If they won't offer you any support then return it for a replacement, at the very least it will rule out faulty hardware on the OBi side.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

drgeoff

It is a long shot and I know there isn't much that can go wrong with them but, as you are in the UK, are you using some US-UK adaptation method between the RJ45 PHONE socket on the OBi200 and your phone? 

drgeoff

Another tenuous possibility. I have seen some DSL filters with active devices in them (eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-ADSL-Filter-Splitter-Safecom/dp/B000WOOYX8) which suggests they need a smidgin of line power.  I don't know if that can come from either of the two 'non-phone' ports or only the one that connects to the incoming telco pair. (Interesting that many of the reviews of that splitter mention CLID problems being cured.)

Many phones with a detachable line cord actually have an RJ45 socket on the base.  If the Philips has that, try an RJ45 to RJ45 cable between OBi and phone.

drgeoff

I consulted the manual for the Onis Vox 200.  http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/t/td6736/td6736_dfu_eng.pdf

It appears that there is indeed an RJ45 socket on the base station but more importantly page 43 has a section 'Selecting the Operator type'.  I quote:

If you have subscribed to a caller identification service, your ONIS 200 will display the number of
the caller.
If your ONIS 200 does not display the caller's number, it may be possible that the operator type set by
default, does not correspond to your telephone operator.
In this case, 4 other caller identification settings are available to solve this problem.
To modify the operator type, use the following procedure:
Go to "Operator type" under the "Line settings" in the "Settings"menu and select OK.
Scroll to select the Operator type you want and select OK.

The manual does not detail what the 5 types are but I would expect that at least one of them is compatible with one of the OBi's options.

juniper

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments.

I have been thru all the operator type settings in the phone as described in the ukvoipforums thread and that did not help.

Testing with the phone, I've been using an adapter cable.  Testing with the modem, I've been using straight RJ11-RJ11 cable.

It's an OBI200 so there's only the one phone port to play with.

If it was just the phone not working I might accept that, but it's ~6 month old modem too.  Both had CLI working fine on BT POTS line.  And both work ok for calls too, it's just the CLI that is not working.

I was kind of hoping that someone from OBI might notice this thread, and the 6 week open ticket, and might take some interest.

juniper

Still never heard anything back from Obi on this despite opening two tickets.

But just made an interesting observation on this - if an incoming call occurs while you're already on the phone, the Obi (as expected) sends the call waiting sequence, and the phone correctly picks up the caller ID from that.

Lavarock7

Getting caller-id while on a call, yet not when not, could it be a ring voltage or ring voltage shape issue?

I tugging at straws on this one... just thinking what is different between the two scenarios.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

CALYTA

Quote from: juniper on May 30, 2017, 11:42:36 AM
Still never heard anything back from Obi on this despite opening two tickets.
  usa today protonmail
But just made an interesting observation on this - if an incoming call occurs while you're already on the phone, the Obi (as expected) sends the call waiting sequence, and the phone correctly picks up the caller ID from that.
I pointed out to them that I'd already installed the UK XML files.