News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unlocking a custom Obihai phone from Switch/Dialpad

Started by MooseMan, October 09, 2016, 06:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MooseMan

At our office we've been using the Google Voice carrier service called Switch (now Dialpad). The phones with the service appear to be Obi1032's. But they have firmware that is custom written and can only be managed by Dialpad. We have since moved away from that provider, and have a bunch of dead Obi's.

Does anyone know if it is possible to force these back to a stock Obi firmware? I'm going to grab one and see if it has a manual firmware loading page built into the web interface - but if anyone has experience with this that would be helpful!

Thanks

azrobert

You will probably have better luck asking your question at Dslreports. I clicked on the Unlock category and there was nothing about OBiHai, but someone there might be able to help.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

SteveInWA

Quote from: MooseMan on October 09, 2016, 06:00:57 AM
At our office we've been using the Google Voice carrier service called Switch (now Dialpad). The phones with the service appear to be Obi1032's. But they have firmware that is custom written and can only be managed by Dialpad. We have since moved away from that provider, and have a bunch of dead Obi's.

Does anyone know if it is possible to force these back to a stock Obi firmware? I'm going to grab one and see if it has a manual firmware loading page built into the web interface - but if anyone has experience with this that would be helpful!

Thanks

Why not contact Dialpad and ask them to unlock the phones?  I assume you purchased the phones free and clear?  If you didn't (they subsidized the cost or leased the phones, expecting to get them back), then that would be another matter.

MooseMan

Thanks. I've been tinkering with this a bit and the device accepts the latest firmware but still loads the dialpad interface (whic is locked down). I think I need something that is essentially the stock ROM for the Obi1032.

azrobert

Make sure there isn't any auto provisioning setup.

System Management -> Auto Provisioning

SteveInWA

You're welcome to read the Service Provider Device Provisioning Guide:

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiProvisioningGuide.pdf

The device is locked down by the provisioning server during initial customization.  Obihai has the device's MAC and serial number in a data base, and it causes the device to load and lock the custom parameters upon first power-up after shipment.  Only the provisioning server can unlock it to subsequently change the default configuration and remove customization.  This setting is not available to the end user.  This is why I am recommending that you contact Dialpad, since they own the configuration file for your devices, and they are the ones who can remove it.  Failing that, you can contact Obihai, but I have no idea if they'd be willing to help.