News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up Obi 202 - No dialtone or touchtone

Started by MikeDrop, October 10, 2016, 03:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDrop

I'm trying to do a simple setup - Set up a VOIP home phone number using my AT&T Uverse internet and the OBI202.  I've plugged the OBI202 into my existing NVG589 router using the OBI "Internet" jack and two different phones into the OBI "phone" jacks (see image for wiring) but cannot get any dialtone or sounds on the phone(s) to do the dialout / initial setup (**5 3162).  It's as if they're dead.

My power light is solid green and the internet light is solid green for the most part (it flashes once in a while..I assume for a little activity here-and-there).  The other lights are dark

I've tried to research and can't find anyone stuck at this first step so I must be missing something obvious.  I do see notes about "if the call above doesn't work, put OBI in the DMZ setting in your router's configuration".  The NVG589 doesn't really have DMZ settings but I've opened up the correct (?) ports as showing in the attached picture.

Any ideas / thoughts?  I'm know a bit about the technical side of this but am not an expert so welcome any help.

I've tried:
A) an old touch-tone phone as well as a cordless phone. 
B) plugging the phones into phone 1 and phone 2 ports on the back.
C) Setting up the router to allow the correct ports through (see Router Config image)
D) rebooting / restarting the router and OBI several times as well as after each config change
E) I even tried doing an IP Passthrough to the OBI device (even though I really don't want to do that).  That didn't help

Thanks, in advance!

SteveInWA

Hi Mike:

That's odd.  An OBi should generate a dial tone on any working telephone that you plug into its phone port(s), even if there is no internet connection.  No fiddling with DMZ nor opening ports is required; in fact, you should remove all those modifications for the sake of security.

Is this a brand new OBi, purchased from an authorized retailer (i.e. Amazon, Newegg, Fry's)?

Try this:  Unplug all the cables from the OBi (power, Ethernet and phones).  Find the small recessed reset switch on the bottom of the OBi (a hole in the middle of a small raised circle).  It takes some dexterity to do this:  use a straightened paper clip.  Gently depress and hold down the reset switch while plugging in only the power cord.  Wait at least 10 seconds, until the power LED flashes.  Release the paper clip.  Let the device sit there for a few minutes, until it completes the factory configuration restoration, and the LEDs stabilize.  The left LED (power) should be lit steady.

Now, plug in only one RJ-11 telephone cord, into the Phone 1 jack.  Do not plug in the Ethernet cable yet.  Do you get a dial tone?  If not, try a different phone and a different telephone cord.

Note that the OBi 202's two phone jacks are wired like this:

Phone 1:  RJ-14, four conductor jack.  Line 1 is on the center two pins, and Line 2 is on the outer two pins.  This is designed for use with a four-conductor, RJ-14 cord, with four gold pins on each plug, connected to a two-line telephone.

Phone 2:  RJ-11, two-conductor jack.  Line 2 is on the center two pins (the Phone 2 jack's inner two pins are simply jumpered over to the outer two connectors on the Phone 1 jack).  This would be used if you had two separate 1-line phones (plug one single-line phone into Phone 1, and plug the other phone into Phone 2.

MikeDrop

Hi Steve.  Thanks for the quick reply and clear instructions!

I did buy it from Amazon...but....it was a "Like New" Warehouse deal.  If this is an odd situation then I may need to return it and buy a brand new one instead.

That said, I did the steps below.  After resetting the Obi the green power light slowly blinks (I waited for 10 minutes).  This site (http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/bg) says it blinks because it couldn't get an IP (which it wouldn't).

While it was blinking I tried different RJ11 cables in Phone 1 as well as the two phones I had.  Still no sound / dial tone.

I'll keep playing around with this as well as resetting a few times.  I'll let you know.  If that doesn't work I'll return it.

SteveInWA

You should definitely get a dial tone with no other steps involved.

Some slimeball fried that OBi and returned it as new.  Send it back to Amazon with that information, and get a new one instead.

MikeDrop

Yep.  I tried resetting a few more times and the same result.  It's packed up and ready to return. 

Just purchased another new one that should be here Thursday.

Thanks again for the help / info.

AndrewA

I think this is the same thing that happened to me. No dial tone in all settings.

SteveInWA

Quote from: AndrewA on February 20, 2017, 09:45:25 PM
I think this is the same thing that happened to me. No dial tone in all settings.

Andrew, I already replied to you in your own discussion thread.