Obi200 was working fine, now GV Authentication error / service connection error

Started by stewie, October 19, 2016, 03:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewie

Our Obi200 was working fine for well over a year. No changes were made to it or my Google account.

Tried dialing out yesterday & got the message "google voice service connection error." The devices' status page says "Backing Off: Authentication error". I can still access Google Voice via my web browser & place calls with Hangouts Dialer, it's only our Obi200 that isn't work.

I restarted the device. I re-entered my password. I logged in to the OBiTALK web site device page, deleted the service provider, & ran "Google Voice Set-up". I followed the instructions at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460, too. And updated the firmware to the latest version. But this authentication error problem persists.

Anyone else with this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks!

SteveInWA

Hmm.  Thanks for following my instructions in the linked post.  It should simply work.  We can try a few things to clean out and start over.

Are you using any other service providers on your OBi?  Is there anything you've customized that you will lose if we factory-reset the device?

stewie

No, thank you for posting that info--it's super helpful!

I'm only using GV so I'll do a factory reset & try a fresh setup. It's really late here so I'll give it go in the morning & report back.

Thanks for replying.

SteveInWA

Great.

So, let's do this methodically.  First, delete the OBi off of the OBiTALK dashboard, before you reset it.  Wait for the LEDs on the device to stop blinking while OBiTALK remotely resets it.  The internet LED will just flicker and the power LED will be on steady.

Next, pick up the phone and key in ***8, then 1 to confirm restoring the OBi to factory defaults.  Let the device churn for at least several minutes while you do the next steps:

Meanwhile log into your Google account on your computer, and go here:  https://myaccount.google.com/

In the "Sign-in and security" section on the left, click the "Connected apps & sites" link.  On the next page, click "MANAGE APPS".  On the next page, look closely at the list.  Click on anything that looks suspicious to expand it, and, if it looks like something you don't use anymore, delete it.  Look for "Google Voice", with the little OBiTALK logo to the left of it.  If you find it, delete it.  If you don't find it, don't worry.  This will clean out any corrupted or incorrect authentication link between OBiTALK and your Google account.

Now, go ahead and set up Google Voice on your OBi, while logged into the one and only Google account that you want to use with it.  Leave the Google web page open in one browser tab, while you have OBiTALK open in another tab, and make absolutely sure that you associate your device with the correct Gmail address.

stewie

Thanks for your clear instructions.

The TLDR; is it's working--thank you very much!

Here's the details in case anyone else runs into this.

I followed your instructions precisely (deleted device via the OBi dashboard; revert to factory default; delete Google Voice authorization from Connected Apps (while using the correct google account & also using Firefox, BTW); then added the device back to the OBi dashboard (with the Google tab in the background)), & unfortunately the same problem occurred.

When adding the device from the OBi dashboard, the Google oauth page appeared & I granted permission. OBi continued the setup & a second or two later it popped up another oauth permission for "offline access". I granted that, too. Then a message appeared saying something like the device setup failed. (I think this happened because OBi couldn't get access in the allotted time so it prompted for offline access permission. Since authentication still failed, I got the device setup failure message.)

So I tried again. I followed the same directions. This time it worked.

This makes no sense, but I won't complain because it's working now.

mo832

HELP !!!! (please, sorry about the all caps) :)

I am having the same exact problem. Mine is an Obi100. Had it for many years. The last time I had to touch it was a few mos ago with the firmware upgrade thing that hit everyone.

Obi has been working just fine without issue with GV, but this morning, If I dial out, I get the same recorded message "service error". On the obitalk page it shows Backing off authentication error. Clearly there is something going on that is common..

I have settings on the device that I worked hard to customize, so I would rather not reset if there is any way to avoid it. I have both SP slots used. SP1 is Callcentric and SP2 is GV.

Is this a known issue yet? Seems odd....

mo832

Cancel the above question. I solved it by deleting the SP2 provider, and reconfiguring the GV login on SP2 to re-establish the Google Voice connection. I used the troubleshooting page on obitalk.com.

I leave the previous comment for anyone's reference (and documentation) in case this turns out to be a widespread thing at this time for whatever reason.

cblake

My Obi200 started failing today (Oct 21) with the same message after over a year of no problems.  I solved it by logging into obitalk.com with the Google account that I use with the device, and to the best of my recollection, doing the following:
1. In the Obi talk device configuration page (Device Information tab), I clicked to edit the settings for "SP1" (my Google Voice service provider).
2. In the page that came up, there was a message displayed, something about incorrect credentials for my gmail account, with a link to click to correct it.
3. I clicked on the link.  A popup opened for me to verify that I was using the Google account for the Obi200.  I verified it.
4. The message was still there, I clicked again, verified again.
5. Message was still there, I clicked again.  This time there was a different message asking me to allow the Obi device to access my Google credentials while Offline.  I clicked to allow it.

That solved the problem.  The message about incorrect credentials was gone.  And the Obitalk device configuration page, it displayed SP1 (Google Voice) with status "connected".  Plus, my phone worked again allowing me to call out using my Obi200.

ravinbc

I had the exact problem, with same error messages as OP.  What worked for me was I just deleted GV from SP1 on OBi200 and reconfigured it on the same SP1.  It's working fine now.
It is strange is that this problem started appearing out of nowhere for quite a number of people at around the same time (mine was on Wed 19th).
Another thing for me is that I have a second GV configured on SP3.  Did not have a problem with this one (Yet!).

mo832

What I find interesting is that this problem is surfacing for many around the same time, and is such that it inspires quite a few users to come here for the very first time to post. That  is powerful!!

yakov

What helped me with the "Backing Off: Authentication Error" was the following:

"If your Gmail account is using Google Hangouts, instead of Google Chat, then you need to temporarily revert back to Chat to make the phone call.  To do this, click your chat avatar (the generic head and shoulders or photo you may have uploaded), and then click "Revert to old Chat" (see screenshot attached to this post).  After you make the one outbound call using Chat, you can go back to Hangouts if you wish, by clicking the "Try the new Hangouts" link." (Source: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460.)

Malachi

Had it  happening to me to, since I missed some calls.
I have 2 phones on my device though, both using GV, but only one had the issue. I logged into my GV account @ Google, made sure the password was the same. All ok.
Then went into Obitalk, and saw what others  had as well. Clicked on settings, it wanted me to reaffirm my GV account, which I did. It asked for info from me (that Google wants to get access to apparently). Second time it asked for the offline access. Third time it also asked me for the offline access and then it was finally all good to go. Tested it out and all worked.
Just funny it only happened for 1 account though. Now one phone has "Google Voice" and the other  has "Google Voice TM" or something like that...

TL;DR Just reaffirmed my GV account thrice and was good to go. No need to delete the setup.

PWTm105

I am having the exact same issue with my 1032.   Except that all of the resets and reconfigs are not working. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Pat

SteveInWA

Quote from: PWTm105 on November 10, 2016, 11:56:19 AM
I am having the exact same issue with my 1032.   Except that all of the resets and reconfigs are not working. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Pat

Please don't cross post the same issue in different places.  Thanks.

See your other thread.

zorlac

Best I can tell if GV is configured in anything but SP1 the Gmail password will need to be re-entered via the obitalk webpage.
I have 2 GV #'s on an obi200 and only SP2 needed to be reset.
My Fathers phone and friend's obi that only use GV for outgoing calls and ANVEO on SP1 also experienced this glitch recently.
Strange, took me a bit to fix my Father's phone after sending him through the Chinese fire drill of unplugging and re-plugging EVERYTHING while talking to him over his cell phone!
Never expected that it was the obitalk site that needed attention.

SteveInWA

Quote from: zorlac on November 11, 2016, 07:22:38 AM
Best I can tell if GV is configured in anything but SP1 the Gmail password will need to be re-entered via the obitalk webpage.

Unless you have ancient firmware on your device, you cannot configure an OBi for Google Voice locally regardless of which SP you are using.  You must use the OBiTALK web portal to perform the OAUTH 2.0 token exchange.

restamp

A friend of mine called me this evening with this same GV Authentication error on his OBi200.  He was running a year-old (at least) firmware release, so we upgraded that first, and then I followed the (very clear to me) instructions on the obitalk.com to re-apply the OAUTH2 token.  The only hitch was that his OBi Device "Status" shown on his Dashboard entry didn't update from "Backing Off" to "Connected" after the fact, even though we were able to place and make calls once again from his OBi.  Refreshing the page from the browser didn't help, but after clicking [Hide] and [Expand] on his Dashboard entry, it did reflect the correct "Connected" status.  Bottom line:  You can probably disregard the "Status" reflected on the Dashboard entry after re-applying GV auth if your device otherwise appears to be working OK again.

zorlac

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 11, 2016, 04:28:08 PM
Quote from: zorlac on November 11, 2016, 07:22:38 AM

Unless you have ancient firmware on your device, you cannot configure an OBi for Google Voice locally regardless of which SP you are using.  You must use the OBiTALK web portal to perform the OAUTH 2.0 token exchange.
Understood. What I meant is that since setting it up & the occasional FW upgrade I haven't had to use the obi website to actually "fix" a problem that a power reset wouldn't fix.

PWTm105

Found out that my forwarding phone had dropped offline - go back to GV setup online (Google) settings and re-do your phone forwarding and verification step.

Worked like a charm after that.