News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two Obi110 and one GV account.

Started by phylo, July 22, 2011, 03:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phylo

I have tried to get this setup so that I can have two separate phones using the same GV account.. It kind of works, but only one phone rings when someone calls? I was wondering if there is a way to set it up so that both will ring or if one is in use the other will ring?

Thanks
Phil

RonR

Configure SP1 of OBi #1 for your Google Voice account.  Then make the following additional setting in OBi #1:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {pp(ob123456789),ph}

where 123456789 is the OBiTALK number of OBi #2.

Incoming calls on your Google Voice account should ring both OBi #1 and OBi #2.

If you also want to make calls from OBi #2 through the Google Voice account on OBi #1, make the following additional setting in OBi #1:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute : {(123456789)>(Msp1):sp1},{ph}

where 123456789 is the OBiTALK number of OBi #2.

Then make the following setting in OBi #2:

User Settings -> Speed Dials -> 2 : PP(ob987654321)

where 987654321 is the OBiTALK number of OBi #1.

To make an outgoing call from OBi #2 using the Google Voice account on OBi #1, dial:

2 * number

jimates

phylo,

So RonR gave you all the settings to make it work, between this and the other thread you should have all the answers.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=744.0

If your phone port is in use on Obi 1 and a second call comes in, you should get a call waiting tone on the phone at Obi 1 and the phone at Obi 2 should ring.

brav

thanks for the help--i was wondering if there's a way to make the 2nd box work (both in/out) w/ the 1 gv number when the first box is down (i'm planning to have each box in different locations, with their own ISPs).

perhaps making the 2nd box conditionally registration w/ gv if communications w/ the first box is down.. 

RonR

I don't believe there is any way to accomplish that.  It's not something the OBi was designed to do and Google Voice wasn't designed to be connected to from multiple clients simultaneously.

brav

thanks for the help--i guess i'll register the sp2 on both to a non-gv voip provider then..

also as a aside, i might be managing these boxes remotely so i'll be using a lot of OBi Expert Configuration Menu on the obitalk website (don't want to bother w/ port forwarding, etc), but for now, it's easier to use the direct ip address logon-is it ok to mix using both interfaces to change settings?

RonR

Quote from: brav on July 22, 2011, 10:04:29 PM
thanks for the help--i guess i'll register the sp2 on both to a non-gv voip provider then..

You could always get additional Google Voice accounts for the other OBi and SP2's.

Quote from: brav on July 22, 2011, 10:04:29 PM
also as a aside, i might be managing these boxes remotely so i'll be using a lot of OBi Expert Configuration Menu on the obitalk website (don't want to bother w/ port forwarding, etc), but for now, it's easier to use the direct ip address logon-is it ok to mix using both interfaces to change settings?

Absolutely not.  In order to configure the OBi locally, you must disable Auto Provisioning in the OBi or the OBiTALK Web Portal will overwrite your local changes each time you reboot.  With Auto Provisioning disabled in the OBi, the OBiTALK Web Portal cannot update the OBi.

The solution is simple.  Disable Auto provisioning in the OBi and do all all your configuration locally while it's appropriate and convenient.  At any time you wish to switch back to using the OBiTALK Web Portal in order to have remote configuration capability, simply export the OBi configuration at:

System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration

and import it into the OBiTALK Web Portal prior to enabling Auto Provisioning in the OBi.  With Auto Provisioning enabled in the OBi, you must make all changes at the OBiTALK Web Portal.

brav

thanks again for all the tips (and fast replies at that :)

i was going to use another voip provider for sp2 anyways to route international calls (get better rates), and also because i can set outgoing call ID to my gv1 number, and route gv to call the voip provider sp2 on the 2nd box when box 1 is down. all seems very rube goldberg, but hopefully it'll work out until the next new toy comes along :)

RonR

brav

playing around with the incoming call to box1 sent out to box2 scenario (Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {pp(ob123456789),ph}), i noticed the caller ID displayed on box 2 only shows box1's number (instead of originating caller ID passing through), and that I also get the AA prompt (i think it is 2 stage type of dialing).

i'm thinking i have to setup a VG to help w/ authentication and make it only 1 stage and possibly might be a way to find the CID to passthrough, but not sure yet...

jimates

Currently all calls forwarded or forked from on Obi to another carry the caller id of the forwarding Obi.

This is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming firmware update (ver. 3). The last status was "coming soon".

phylo

I have it all setup but the second box isnt ringing and now the AA is coming on?

Do I need to remove the GV setup on box 2 or something?

Right now its setup like this

Obi#1 has GV account 1 and the forwarding setup {pp(ob#########),ph}

Obi#2 has GV account 2 (different GV account)

Everything is on the same lan.

Any suggestions?

RonR

If calling the GV account that's configured on OBi #1 is reaching the AA of OBi #2, you must have a rule in the OBiTALK InboundCallRoute of OBi #2 that's sending calls to the AA.

If you don't see the problem or solution, please post the OBiTALK InboundCallRoute from OBi #2.

jim1524

I have it configured as above (OBi #1 is GV). When I call the GV number, OBi#1 rings. Then in about two rings, the AA for OBi#2 picks up and I have to press 1 before OBi#2 rings.

On both OBi devices, I've unchecked the Voice Service->Auto Attendant->Enable

On OBi#2, my X_InboundCallRoute is set to: ph

Edit: OBi#1 is an OBi110, OBi#2 is an OBi100. Both are on the latest firmware.

RonR

Quote from: jim1524 on July 30, 2011, 06:45:51 AM
On both OBi devices, I've unchecked the Voice Service->Auto Attendant->Enable

There is a bug in the OBi firmware.  Unchecking Enable does not disable the Auto Attendant as documented in the OBi Device Administration Guide:

Enable AA. If enabled, the AA will answer an incoming call that has been routed to it after a period as specified in AnswerDelay. If disabled, the AA will not attempt to answer any incoming call.

Even if there wasn't this bug in the OBi firmware, disabling the Auto Attendant is not the solution to your problem and would not cause the telephone to ring.

Quote from: jim1524 on July 30, 2011, 06:45:51 AM
On OBi#2, my X_InboundCallRoute is set to: ph

I think you're looking in the wrong place.  The correct place is:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute

Note there is no 'X_'.

There has to be a {...:aa} rule for the Auto Attendant to answer an incoming call.

jim1524

Thanks, I made the correction. Still seeing the same issue ... AA comes on and I need to press '1' before OBi#2 rings. I've searched through the entire expert configuration and I don't see 'aa' in there.

RonR

Quote from: jim1524 on July 31, 2011, 08:37:20 AM
Thanks, I made the correction. Still seeing the same issue ... AA comes on and I need to press '1' before OBi#2 rings. I've searched through the entire expert configuration and I don't see 'aa' in there.

1. There's no path in an OBi for the Auto Attendant to answer except through an 'aa' rule.

2. It's not what's in the OBi Expert configuration that matters.  It's what's in an OBi itself that makes an OBi do whatever an OBi does.

jim1524

Thanks Ron! So I checked the configuration locally and it did go to AA. I guess I was not updating via the web interface correctly. I need to uncheck both checkboxes to update actual configuration to what is shown. Whoops :o

Working as expected now. Eagerly awaiting the next firmware update to pass the caller id info.

phylo

phylo

Ok so I take it back... All is not good.. Sometimes it rings through to the other phone and not the primary line.. And when we try to pick up we get a dial tone??? I had to revert back to the original configuration again...

Phil