News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[SOLVED!] Had to revert to old router, can't get IP address on OBi110 or 200

Started by wilberfan, November 14, 2016, 10:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilberfan

I had a TP-Link router that failed and they've sent me an RMA.  Packed it up today to send it back...

Pulled an older Buffalo router with DD-WRT on it out of the closet that was an absolute tank--never any issues with it.

I cannot get an IP address on either my stalwart OBi110 or the new OBi200 to save my life.  Just that stupid green power light blinking at me...

I've 30-30-30 reset the router twice.  I've factory reset the OBi110.  The OBi200 is right out of the box...

I've been at this for more than three hours, so I've now officially tried everything I can think of.  I even forwarded a buttload of ports to that IP.   Still no love...

I've run out of ideas...  Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

[edit]  If I disable DHCP in the handset (***3), I get an IP of 192.168.0.120 (And a solid green power light on the OBi110.)  Attempting to add the device via my ObiTalk page fails...  Re-enabling DHCP returns the blinking green power light...

[2nd edit]  I now have a softphone Obi number that doesn't match the number on the bottom of the 110 OR the 200...   ???

[3rd edit]  Enabled DMZ in the router, and entered the 192.168.0.120 IP of the OBi110.  Tried to add the device again.  Still fails.

wilberfan

Well, f**k me.    >:(

Apparently it was the firmware on the router!   I had flashed a newer firmware last week--but never tested it with the OBi...  When I downgraded, the 110 came right up, and I was able to add the device in a matter of seconds.

Great Leaping Jeebus... That's 4 hours of my life I will NEVER get back...   >:(

drgeoff

I know your problem is solved but:

1. forwarding ports on a router has no influence on whether a device manages to get a DHCP addresss.

2. the softphone number is unique; purposefully different from the number on the bottom of your or any other Obi ATA or phone.

3. did you check that the DHCP server was enabled on the router?  Possibly the new firmware's default was to 'off'.

4. dd-wrt defaults to using the 192.168.1. subnet but you manually assigned 192.168.0.120 on the OBi.

wilberfan

Quote from: drgeoff on November 15, 2016, 01:15:37 AM
I know your problem is solved but:

1. forwarding ports on a router has no influence on whether a device manages to get a DHCP addresss.

2. the softphone number is unique; purposefully different from the number on the bottom of your or any other Obi ATA or phone.

3. did you check that the DHCP server was enabled on the router?  Possibly the new firmware's default was to 'off'.

4. dd-wrt defaults to using the 192.168.1. subnet but you manually assigned 192.168.0.120 on the OBi.

Appreciate the suggestions!   I had figured out (or remembered, actually) that the soft number was a part of the process.  I had also checked the 'enabled' setting.  And I had accounted for the "1" vs "0" subnet at various times during the struggle. 

The OBi box came online and registered so effortlessly after downgrading the firmware on the router, (with default settings) that I'm convinced that was the problem.

Still, I appreciate your suggestions--they might help someone in a similar situation in the future...