News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obitalk Provisioning Issue

Started by earthtoobi, July 23, 2011, 11:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earthtoobi

i Made changes to SP1 service in obiexpert and i could see the changes go to my device. Now, when i change my settings back  in obiexpert, the changes are not flowing down to the device correctly.(the device rebooted after the obiexpert changes).
these changes were related to callforwardonnoanswerenable related settings.
refer the screenshot attached

bitstopjoe

Make sure you are disabling Auto Provisioning otherwise none of your settings will take..
Unless, of course, I am misunderstanding what you are asking. Knowing me that is entirely possibe :)

Joe Sica

RonR

Auto Provisioning must be enabled to configure the OBi through the OBiTALK Web Portal.  If Auto Provisioning is disabled, changes made at the OBiTALK Web Portal will not affect the OBi.

Auto Provisioning must be disabled to configure the OBi locally.    If Auto Provisioning is enabled, changes made locally will be overwritten by the OBiTALK Web Portal.

earthtoobi

auto-provisioning is enabled always.
to get around the issue, i set the obi device values to default and forced a reboot(with provisioning On).it synced up fine.
while there is workaround, was wondering if the auto-provisioning was airtight

OBiSupport

Just re-state here, if you need to make any configuration changes through OBiTalk (OBiExpert surely included),  you need to turn on auto provisioning.

Earthtoobi, we are not clear about your problem described here, could you send a email to us at support@obihai.com, along with your 9-digit OBi number. Once you have auto provisioning turned on and uncheck OBiTalk Setting box on the right column, you should be able to freely configure your device. No workaround is necessary.

earthtoobi

i don't know what is unclear in my original post. my goal is not to manage it via obidevice webpage but via the obitalk portal.

i have shown in the screenshot, where with provisioning turned on(which i have always), the values in OBidevice and ObitalkPortal(where i manage values) are different(even after the obitalk initiated reboot to push changes to device).

let me also say that i have never ever disabled provisioning on my device and ALWAYS manage setting on obitalk portal.

my subsequent comment(as a response) was just to highlight how to sync them , now that i have run into the issue.

my only question is this:
can you run into cases where the provisioning is not applying changes made in obitalk on to the device.

RonR

Quote from: earthtoobi on July 25, 2011, 10:35:52 AM
my only question is this:
can you run into cases where the provisioning is not applying changes made in obitalk on to the device.

An Internet outage between you and the provisioning server would certainly cause your OBi to not be updated until some time after that outage was restored.  An internal communications problem between the OBiTALK Web Portal and the provisioning server would likewise cause delays.

Is your OBi located somewhere other than local to your computer?  In my opinion, that's the only case where it makes any sense to use the OBiTALK Web Portal OBiExpert.  If the OBi is local to you, it's actually simpler to make changes directly to it and you KNOW they got made.  You have access to more status and more functionality maintaining it locally than you do through the OBiTALK Web Portal OBiExpert.  Other than configuring an OBi located in a remote location that you do not have access to, there's no advantage to using the OBiTALK Web Portal OBiExpert and all it accomplishes is adding an extra layer of complexity and uncertainty.

OBiSupport

Here is the procedure to configure these parameters (back to their default)

1/ Uncheck the OBiTalk settings box for related parameters

-- CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable
   -- CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber
   -- CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount

2/ Check the device default box for these parameters

3/ Submit the change, wait till the device reboots, you should see OBi device settings are same to those in OBiTalk.

Please let's know if it works OK for you, thanks,

earthtoobi

@ObiSupport: thanks for the steps.what you provide as steps is a nice workaround that works and satisfies the need.
what it does not explain is: why this attribute managed via Obitalk as an obitalk setting is not able to propagate itself down to the device.(especially in cases when you reset values or make it null etc).

@RonR: its quite a few days between setting of the value and when the issue is reported.so, the corner cases don't apply here.
there are a few Obis that i have to manage remotely. but as far as the obi i reference in this thread, i can choose to manage them locally.i just like the idea of cloud management, even though managing it locally gives more control and these type of sync issues don't arise.

RonR

Quote from: earthtoobi on July 25, 2011, 02:57:02 PM
i just like the idea of cloud management, even though managing it locally gives more control and these type of sync issues don't arise.

I'm pleased to see you understand the situation and the tradeoffs involved and are making an informed decision.

OBiSupport

Quote from: earthtoobi on July 25, 2011, 02:57:02 PM
what it does not explain is: why this attribute managed via Obitalk as an obitalk setting is not able to propagate itself down to the device.(especially in cases when you reset values or make it null etc).

Further clarification - the posted procedure is applied to the parameters indirectly managed by OBiTalk, note, there is no '*' next to the OBiTalk setting box. For other parameters that come with a '*' in OBiExpert, you can manage them directly via OBiTalk setting check box.

OBiSupport

earthtoobi

so, if an obitalk setting is checked and there is no '*' next to it, then what would be the setting applied to the device?
in my screenshot, it had empty values, and the obitalk setting is checked.
can you confirm that the screenshot is expected behavior.

Here is my understanding:
1. if obitalk setting is checked, then default obitalk values are going to be applied to the device.
2. if obitalk setting is unchecked and device default is checked, then device default is applied to the device
3. if obitalk setting is unchecked and device default is unchecked, then the entry that you put in the screen takes effect(obiexpert setting)

the variation of point 1  is the existence of a '*' next to obitalk setting, signifying feature configuration(like Inboundcallroute etc) and any new feature obi team can introduce in future using those settings(along with new fields that can get a '*' next to it). from an end user what this means is that, he better know what he is messing with when he is unchecking that box as he could cripple present/future obi functionalities.

OBiSupport

You are correct on your understandings.

The screenshot is also expected behavior. If the OBiTalk setting is checked and the parameter doesn't come with an asterisk '*', then, the device will keep the particular setting as it is.

earthtoobi

Quote from: OBiSupport on July 26, 2011, 04:20:50 PM
You are correct on your understandings.

The screenshot is also expected behavior. If the OBiTalk setting is checked and the parameter doesn't come with an asterisk '*', then, the device will keep the particular setting as it is.

This is where it gets un-intuitive to me.
if the obitalk setting is checked(and if there is no '*'), what you are telling me is that it is going to keep whatever setting the device currently has been set to.

is there a default setting for the cloud that it can push to the device?

the above quote means that:
for someone managing the device remotely, he can never be sure of what settings the device is currently working off of(for fields where obitalk is checked and there is no '*').