News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't call GV Voicemail after porting number

Started by primerisk, July 24, 2011, 08:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

primerisk

Hi,
     I setup my OBi110 with a new Google Voice account and everything has been working perfectly.  I could call out, receive calls, get voicemail, and even the voicemail indicator works (but still annoyingly slow). 

Two days ago I decided that this was really working out and decided to port my T-Mobile number over.  The port completed and all seemed well until I had voicemail this morning.  I dialed my newly ported number attempting to get the Google voicemail box and all I got was a fast busy signal.  Hmm, maybe something hasn't completed yet, so I called the original GV number (it stays on the account for 90 days) and it ring for 25 seconds and then I get my voicemail.  I press * and instead of a PIN prompt I get  "This account is already active in restricted mode, goodbye. <click>  Crap. 

For the record, I tried both 10-digit and 11-digit dialing and got the same result every time.

For the moment I have no choice but to use my computer or a phone not connected to GV to retrieve my voicemail.

Any thoughts??

jimates

Definitely a Google Voice problem.

Was your T-Mobile # a forwarding phone in your GV account? If so does it auto remove from the list or do you have to do that yourself.

Search results at the GV help forum

show that changing the pin number fixed for some. Others show that previous call did not disconnect properly causing the problem. You can check your call history on the Obi to see that the last call disconnected ok.

See more in the search results
http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/search.py?hl=en&forum=1&query=restricted+mode+more%3Aforum

primerisk

Yes, the T-Mobile number was a previous forwarding number.  It was automatically removed from the list and only the Google Chat and a Cellphone remain in the list. 

I had already looked at the call that failed to disconnect issue, and that isn't what's going on here.  I have gone long stretches in between testing this (way beyond the 3 hour max call duration).  I have also changed the PIN to no avail. 

I'm only getting this issue when I try to call into get voicemail from the OBi device OR from the GMail based softphone, calls elsewhere are fine.  I think this is definitely a GV issue as even if there is an issue with the OBi setup, the softphone in GMail should still work, but if I call my ported number it gives an error of "At HH:MM PM xxx-xxx-xxxx was not available for a phone call."  If I call the original GV number I again get the restricted mode message.

I also tried to edit the settings for Google Chat in the Google Voice Settings Phones tab and that now produces an error "Invalid Google Talk email: original:" when trying to save the settings for Google Chat.

Off to the Google Forums, meh.