News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Overseas incoming not receiving

Started by EBahGum, December 12, 2016, 02:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBahGum

Using Google Voice/OBi 100.  I'm US based, no problems with in/out calls within the US or outgoing overseas but, not receiving calls from the UK.  They are calling +1 872-222-7***.  Any ideas please. ???

drgeoff

Are they calling from a POTS line, cellphone or a VoIP line?  In whatever case, what company is providing their outgoing call service?

gsmlnx

From BT Phone book in the UK

QuoteCountry code
To call USA, the following dial code is required.

+1 to dial in(00 1 from UK)

So they maybe better off dialing 001 instead of +1

drgeoff

Quote from: gsmlnx on December 14, 2016, 01:52:37 PM
From BT Phone book in the UK

QuoteCountry code
To call USA, the following dial code is required.

+1 to dial in(00 1 from UK)

So they maybe better off dialing 001 instead of +1
It is not possible to dial a + on an POTS type handset,  even if connected to a VoIP ATA. Does the caller think that a # is the same as a + ?

It is possible to dial a + on the keypad of a mobile phone (cellphone in USA-speak) and the ones I have used correctly interpret that as the international prefix.

bsdaiwa

The + sign is meant to tell you that other access codes might need to be dialed to call that number. I am in Brazil and to place a call to the USA, I need to dial 0014 then 1-714-555-1212 from a public or private PSTN phone to reach my GV phone in the USA, or any other PSTN phone in the USA.
So from any UK PSTN phone you would dial 00-1-714-555-1212 to reach my GV phone in the USA or any PSTN phone in the USA.
Hope that explains it.

PS. By having the + sign setup in my contacts phone number on my cell phone the cell phone recognizes that if I am in a foreign country it needs to dial an access number and it does that automatically. By example if I were traveling in Argentina and my cell phone had a USA sim card and I wanted to call someone in the USA and their number was in my contacts list with the +1 in front of it, the access code would automatically be dialed when I selected that individual.