News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

D-Link DPH-50U device (Skype) in series with Obi110?

Started by VulcanTourist@gmail.com, July 25, 2011, 07:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VulcanTourist@gmail.com

I happen to have a D-Link DPH-50U Skype-to-POTS device (connects to PC via USB port, basically a USB modem).  Could I still use that in series with an Obi110 to get access to Skype on the same phone used with the Obi110?  I have seen instructions for configuring the Obi itself to access Skype with siptosis software, but it looks intimidating.  Would I connect the land line and USB to the DPH-50U, then connect the line jack of the Obi110 to the phone jack of the DPH-50U?  Would the sequence **9## then get me the Skype "dial tone" on the DPH-50U, by switching the Obi110 to the line port and allowing the DPH-50U to listen for its "##" trigger?

(The only downside to this plan is the lack of a Windows 7 64-bit compatible driver for the DPH-50U.)

RonR

VulcanTourist,

While looking for the manual for the DPH-50U, I noticed that D-Link discontinued the unit two years ago.  That makes it highly unlikely you'll ever see Windows 7 64-bit drivers available.  That issue aside...

The DPH-50U could be put in series with the OBi LINE Port and DigitMap's could be configured to pretty much make it transparent for PSTN calling and simple to use with DPH-50U Skype Speed Dials.

Just for clarification **9 is the prefix for the OBiTALK trunk.  **8 is the prefix for the LINE Port.  These prefixes don't get you dialtone on that trunk.  They instruct the OBi that the remainder of the number dialed is to be processed through that trunk.  You can, however, dial a single # to instruct the OBi to logically connect the PHONE Port to the LINE Port.  Then whatever you dial after that would be sent through the LINE Port unaltered.

VulcanTourist@gmail.com

Some people claimed they used a 32-bit Windows VM and managed to run the D-Link driver in that to get it working, so I figured I might try that... or just set up a 32-bit machine to handle it.  My recall of the Obi codes wasn't too good just yet.  Eventually I'll want to set up the Obi110 with siptosis, but not until I'm more familiar.

Siptosis reads like something I might find described at WebMD.com.