News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problems with Google Voice setup (Maybe not appropriate here)

Started by EllenL, December 19, 2016, 08:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EllenL

Please forgive me if this is not appropriate here, but there is no real help at google.

This is not really an OBI issue, but I need help and this community is usually pretty fantastic.

I am trying to set up a google voice number. I put in a phone number, and it authenticated, but it refuses to allow me to select a phone number, it just keeps giving me an error.  There is no explanation.

The phone number may be a VOIP (we aren't sure) but it is a legitimate paid service, not a fly-by-night online number.

Is there any way at all to find out the problem?  Is there any way to fix the issue without knowing the problem (maybe someone used this number previously?) since google will not provide any information?

Thank you

SteveInWA

Hi Ellen:

We answer your exact question hundreds of times a week, over on the Google Voice help forum.

For example:  https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!category-topic/voice/4LmsblEJlBA

Google has tightened its procedures to reduce fraud and abuse of the service.  Telephone numbers that were previously used to claim a Google Voice number are not eligible to claim more Google Voice numbers. Additionally, certain carriers' numbers are ineligible, which is the case with your number.

You will need to submit a different forwarding telephone number.  The number must be a working telephone number, located within the 48 contiguous US states, from one of the "big four" mobile carriers (AT&T Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile or Verizon Wireless), or from a traditional land line carrier, such as AT&T, CenturyLink, Charter, Comcast, Frontier or Verizon.

After you successfully obtain a Google Voice number, you can add your desired phone number as a forwarding number -- it simply can't be used as an "admission ticket" to claim a GV number.

EllenL

Yes, I see they "answer" this exact questions hundreds of times a week over at the forum, but none of the answers are helpful. 

The number I used does not meet any of the disqualifying criteria. AND, I don't even know that is actually the problem, because the mystery of the service is such that it refuses to actually let you know the error, if any. AFAIK the number is NOT a VOIP and it has not been used before.

More importantly, I don't have another number to use.  How do they expect us to keep getting phone numbers to add to the system?  Where am I supposed to get another phone number other than the one I have? Most of us, including me, don't have numbers from those services anymore.

LTN1

Quote from: EllenL on December 20, 2016, 11:28:43 AM
Yes, I see they "answer" this exact questions hundreds of times a week over at the forum, but none of the answers are helpful.  

The number I used does not meet any of the disqualifying criteria. AND, I don't even know that is actually the problem, because the mystery of the service is such that it refuses to actually let you know the error, if any. AFAIK the number is NOT a VOIP and it has not been used before.

More importantly, I don't have another number to use.  How do they expect us to keep getting phone numbers to add to the system?  Where am I supposed to get another phone number other than the one I have? Most of us, including me, don't have numbers from those services anymore.

I think that Google's broad restrictions limiting many VoIP numbers as an initial GV forwarding number has caused collateral problems for people like you. I both empathize and sympathize with your situation, however, unless GV changes to allow some type of appeal in a situation like yours where an employee can make a more accurate determination of your valid number, the quickest way to resolve this is to buy a prepaid cell phone (the cheapest you can find) and sign up for a month of service in order to get the local cell number (and if the prepaid phone can be returned if you don't like it--all the better). Use that as your initial GV forwarding number then add your actual VoIP number as another forwarding number. Then just remove the original cell number at a later time. The additional VoIP forwarding number should continue to work (unless GV does something to change that in the future). I know it is a bit inconvenient...but think of it as an investment for long-term free or highly discounted phone service.

SteveInWA

Quote from: EllenL on December 20, 2016, 11:28:43 AM

More importantly, I don't have another number to use.  How do they expect us to keep getting phone numbers to add to the system?  Where am I supposed to get another phone number other than the one I have? Most of us, including me, don't have numbers from those services anymore.

The phone number may be a VOIP (we aren't sure)

AFAIK the number is NOT a VOIP

So, you don't really know.  Who is the telephone carrier?

Either the number, or you, the account holder, do, in fact, meet one of those criteria.  There are no other reasons.  No, Google is not going to tell you the reason.

• Google Voice is not a free telephone company, for some very specific Federal regulatory and legal reasons.
  • GV is primarily a call forwarding and message management service, despite Obihai's marketing pitches.
  • There is no assumed entitlement that everyone may use the service.
  • Over 90% of US residents have a cell phone.  Source:  http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/06/06/cell-phone-ownership-hits-91-of-adults/  The very large majority of Google Voice users use it in conjunction with their cell phone numbers.

EllenL

Snarky isn't required.

No one said it should be a free phone service, but expecting people to have multiple landline or mobile phone numbers to sacrifice on attempts that may or may not work and will then make that number impossible to use for any other account is problematic.  In my lifetime I have only ever had three: one at my apartment in university, one in my apartment at graduate school, and one I have had in my home town for 20 years.  That last number was recently ported to a VOIP. I also have one mobile number, and some other VOIP numbers.

I have nothing else to offer.

We did check and the number we first used was NOT a VOIP.  As far as anyone knows, it has never been used as a GV - it has belonged to my brother for over 5 years at his office. 

Not telling people the issue is extremely disrespectful of our time and our place as clients.  If you are all so tired of answering the same questions a million times a day -- because I see how often it happens to people -- that you cannot do it without a touch of disgust, maybe consider that the responsibility for your weariness is the faulty system and not the client trying to problem solve.   Had I been given an informative error message, I would have corrected the problem myself and NEVER been seeking any kind of assistance. Their "no service" approach is costing them a ridiculous amount of work hours to NOT answer people's questions.

SteveInWA

Actually, I have to say that you're the one who is being obnoxiously entitled.  I don't work for Google.  I'm simply offering the most comprehensive explanation of THEIR rules.  If you don't like their rules, then GTFO.