News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone's Redial: Telcos Ignore Extra Trailing Digits, But Google Voice Chokes

Started by TelephoneBear, July 25, 2011, 05:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelephoneBear

All of my phones have a Redial button.  Most likely, yours do, too.

So, if I dial 1-800-123-4567 and then interact with a menu where I choose options 8 and 9, a subsequent Redial of that number will send 1-800-123-456789 down the phone cord.  A proper telco, such as AT&T, would connect the number as soon as the "7" was received and ignore the "89."

Google Voice, via my OBI110, chokes on the extra (in this case, two) digits; I hear a fast busy signal.

How may I fix this problem?

Thanks

OBiSupport

OBi device has a build-in redial feature through star code - *07.

For example, if you want to redial 1-800-123-456789, you can just dial * 0 7, OBi device will dial 1-800-123-4567 (ignore 8 and 9 automatically), which is the last number that was connected/answered successfully.

RonR

It's not Google Voice that's giving you the fast busy, it's the OBi.  The OBi doesn't send your digits out as you dial them.  The OBi doesn't act upon your dialing until it sees the last digit.  Then it compares what you've dialed against several DigitMap's to determine if the number is valid and if so, which trunk it should be routed through.

If you want to be able to dial arbitrary junk following a valid 11-digit number, you'd have to modify the DigitMap:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx<xx.:>|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

This should throw away everything after the 11th digit.

TelephoneBear

Thanks, ObiSupport and RonR, those are both very helpful answers.

Now, if only I may stop myself from using a phone's Redial button and, instead, use the OBI star code!

RonR, can you show what the string would be for either a 10- or 11-digit number?  I can imagine that only those would be an issue for me:  We have 10-digit dialing in this area, so, most numbers will be 10 digits long, and only toll-free 800/866/etc. and numbers outside my LATA would be 11 digits long (1-800-XXX-XXXX, 1-212-XXX-XXXX, etc.).

I noticed the "011" in your string, so, I presume that handles international numbers.  The "xx." and "Mipd" stuff, I don't yet understand.

I presume that the best place to enter this mapping is via the online tool (so that the mapping is always remembered, versus being entered locally on the device, where some potential reset of the OBI110 would wipe the mapping).

Thanks again!

RonR

Quote from: TelephoneBear on July 25, 2011, 06:26:59 PM
RonR, can you show what the string would be for either a 10- or 11-digit number?  I can imagine that only those would be an issue for me:  We have 10-digit dialing in this area, so, most numbers will be 10 digits long, and only toll-free 800/866/etc. and numbers outside my LATA would be 11 digits long (1-800-XXX-XXXX, 1-212-XXX-XXXX, etc.).

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx<xx.:>|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx<xx.:>|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

I'm not sure it's a good thing to add this kludgery just so you can dial extra digits and have them ignored, but give it a try.  I haven't thought about it a whole lot and there could be some undesirable side-effects.

I noticed the "011" in your string, so, I presume that handles international numbers.  The "xx." and "Mipd" stuff, I don't yet understand.

011xx. is for international numbers.  xx. is basically a wild card and I normally remove it as it can allow mis-dialed numbers to do unwanted things.  Mipd is a user-defined DigitMap for IP dialing.

I presume that the best place to enter this mapping is via the online tool (so that the mapping is always remembered, versus being entered locally on the device, where some potential reset of the OBI110 would wipe the mapping).

I prefer to maintain the OBi locally and periodically back up the configuration at:

System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration

The online tool (OBiTALK Web Portal) does not allow backing up the OBi configuration and is missing considerable status information that is available on the OBi itself.  Unless you need to remotely manage an OBi that's located at an inaccessible location, I don't find any benefit to OBiTALK Web Portal.